Luck
    State
    Wisconsin
    2019 FLHCS

City
    Front Royal
    State
    Virginia
    All back together and still some smoke. Mostly it is coming from around the head pipe at the cylinder head. I am hoping that will burn off as I realized I did not replace the now oil soaked Vance and Hines exhaust gasket. This gasket is the flat ring type and not the stock flimsy tapered aluminum(?) one that makes me cuss and throw wrenches. Rather than have a complete meltdown Iím going to button her all up and rider her a bit and see if that smoke goes away.

I did a leak down test once the head was installed and all was good. I guess I should do the testing again too. I should also just pull the front cylinderís exhaust and replace that gasket but I just donít want to.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. I hope everyone is entertained by this as I am certainly not.

P.P.S. I now know why people just replace parts rather than try and repair/renew existing parts. Swapping parts is so much easier. But Iíve still saved a ton of money (I think).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride Safe,

Elliott
    2015 FLHXS - Amber Whiskey

City
    Luck
    State
    Wisconsin
    I always use the tapered exhaust gaskets. They are easy to install with the Jims tool and they seal well. They are destroyed when you remove them from the cylinder head.

Exhaust gasket tool

No problem running/burning the oily gasket if it seals.
    2019 FLHCS

City
    Front Royal
    State
    Virginia
    Iím thinking/hoping the smoke I see at the head is that oil burning off from the gasket and what little smoke from the pipe is that as well.

Ride Safe,

Elliott

City
    Front Royal
    State
    Virginia

Spark, Fuel, or other?

This morning I noticed oil on the floor to the side of the bike just in front of the rear tire. There is quite a bit of oil that spewed out and followed the pipe down towards the rear from the head. In other words, under the heat shield. I am seeing some wet seepage come from under the exhaust flange but only when revving the bike. I think Iím going to pull the front cylinderís exhaust, clean it, put in a new gasket, and take a peek in the exhaust port itself. I cleaned the hell out of the cylinder with contact cleaner before reassembly so I shouldnít see anything slick in there. I hope.

A friend of mine says he would just ride it and see if everything dries up and burns off. Thoughts?

You can see the seepage below on the right of the flange.

Last edited by yegg; 04-09-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    Ride Safe,

Elliott

City
    Luck
    State
    Wisconsin
    Probably best to clean up the oil mess and not burn it all onto your bike.
    2019 FLHCS

City
    Front Royal
    State
    Virginia
    Rode the bike to work today. No noticeable smoke at all from the cylinder head or the exhaust pipe. However when I got to work I saw there was oil spray on the right side of the bike from the top of the front cylinder head to the saddle bag. It seemed especially amassed on top of the cam chest and the throttle body was rather well coated.

Since just under the top fin on the right side front cylinder is ďwetĒ I think my next course of action is to pull the exhaust and check out the port. Before reassembly I cleaned it again so there really shouldnít be any oily residue in there. While Iím at it Iím going to go ahead and replace the gasket. Aside from that, any ideas where to look?

The positive is that the bike ran great. I am truly amazed at the difference from how it was. It almost seems like the bike used to lug about. Maybe Iím just imagining it.

I didnít put my new lower fairings on in case I need to do more exploratory surgery. Man did I miss them. When I finally put them on Iíll do a separate post about them. I made a switch from Advan Black to Hog Workz.

Thanks

Ride Safe,

Elliott

City
    Luck
    State
    Wisconsin
    Usual suspects to leak after a rebuild are the head vent bolts and the pushrod tubes.
    2019 FLHCS

City
    Front Royal
    State
    Virginia
    Iíve been thinking of the push rod tubes but how would the vent bolts be leaking? By the way, I have vent bolts that go to a catch can. I have them routed up to the backbone and then back to the catch can next to the ABS module.

Ride Safe,

Elliott

City
    Luck
    State
    Wisconsin
    Usually the breather bolts leak because they were installed without thread sealant or sealing washers.
    2019 FLHCS