Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New bars

City
    Silicon Valley
    State
    California
    Spazz,
    Thanks brother. I just want to be clear. Are you able to see with your fairrring mounted mirrors still? How tall of a bar can I use with your method here? Any idea? Going to order the nams part now and wait to hear about the bar height. I dont really want my hands in the wind, but eh reason I bouth the bike was the fairring mounted mirrors.

City
    Atlanta
    State
    Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by stuglide08 View Post
    I have an 08 street glide and am looking for new handlebars. I was thinking mini apes or a bar that comes back an inch or 2 closer. My dealership is quoting me $2000 including labor and I am hoping to get a bar that I can install myself fairly easily including cables etc, for under $1000 Any suggestions Thanks Stu from Canada
    My bar install was my first experience working on a Street Glide. I had the bike about a week before tackling the project. I installed the 12" Yaffe Monkey bars. I bought the wire extension kit he offers and a 6' length of chain from Lowes hardware. I lengthened all of wires while they were out of the bars and carefully disassembled the Deutch connectors to pull the wires through the bars. The only issue I ran into was the TBW housing. The wires on the green connector were too long. I couldn't get the housing into the bar, or the green connector through the peak on the bars. I shortened those wires up and everything is fine. I staggered my cuts, soldered and shrink tubed the joints and everything worked right off the bat.

I'm not going into a lot of detail, because I'm not sure how much of my experience relates to a 2008. I will say that it wasn't a hard job to do, but allow the time to do it and go slowly and methodically. I'm overly cautious and torque EVERYTHING to spec and it took me about 6 hours. Keep in mind that I labelled bolts and wasn't working against the clock. I enjoy working on my bike myself, so I see no reason to rush through it.

Prospect
    City
    Panama City
    State
    Florida
    Delete post
    Last edited by BrianP; 09-21-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Fixed it.

City
    Stuart
    State
    Florida
    Just installed Yaffe 12" monkey bars and did not need to extend any cables, I just cut the control wire zipties from the wireing harness in the fairing and rezipped it after. Extensions for the controls would have made the job easier but not needed. Ride it wrench it has a great video on youtube. I am still using my stock mirrors can see out of 3/4 of them.
    2016 Street Glide Special
    Vance & Hines Power Duals
    Vance & Hines Eliminator 400 Slip-ons
    Vance & Hines Fuelpak 3
    Paul Yaffe 12" Monkey Bars
    Arleen Ness Deep Cut Air Cleaner
    6.5" Klockworks Flare Windshield
    Custom Dynamics Led Lighting

City
    Stuart
    State
    Florida
    wow more than a year old post how about that silly, just trying to help.

Prospect
    City
    Joliet
    State
    Illinois
    How long was the install? , about to attempt myself HD wants $1300. Mechanic says he can do it on the side for $500 but i have to buy cable extension kit for $500 because my 12": yaffe's won't fit but i hear otherwise.