Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Prospect
    City
    Penrose
    State
    Colorado
    I had this happen last year on my way to work. I had to limp it back home basically reaching down and shifting with my hand on the linkage. Got it home and took everything apart, bought the new replacement parts I think total was like $60. It had 23000 miles when this happened. 2014 SGS

City
    Memphis
    State
    Tennessee
    Happened to me last week. 13k miles on the clock, 800 miles from home. Fortunately I was only about 11 miles from the hotel when I discovered the issue. Limped it in to the hotel and then 38 miles to the nearest shop the next morning. They clearly know it's an issue. I was in and out of the shop in less than an hour.

Prospect
    City
    Delafield
    State
    Wisconsin
    So is this basically something that can be avoided by checking on the bolt snugness on your front and back shift link levers?

I recently installed the Tallboy extenders for the floorboards on my SGS and now am considering adjusting front shifter down a notch on the spline since it's up higher with the floorboard change, and I was wondering if doing that could cause some premature failure problem with the levers like you guys have mentioned in this post by having the shifter at a different angle/setting.

City
    Schertz
    State
    Texas
    This happened to me on a trip through New Mexico, lucky I noticed and tightened. Later my buddy's voltage regulator was acting up so went to local dealer and there were several bikes there with shifter problems....hmmmmm,I call it highway robbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D&D Fat Kat Exhaust, High Flow Chisel Air Intake, Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner,Klockwerks 6.5" Flare Windshield,Klockwerks Level Front Fender,Chubby Bagger Low Bars, Kuryakan Phase Seven Headlight, Dynamic LED Ringz Front and Rear, Finned Head Bolt Cover, Shift Linkage Slot...

City
    Cedar Rapids
    State
    Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by 51north View Post
    So is this basically something that can be avoided by checking on the bolt snugness on your front and back shift link levers?
    Yes , check them along with the heal / toe levers , as long as the damage hasn't already been done.

City
    Middle of nowhere
    State
    Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by SG19 View Post
    Yes , check them along with the heal / toe levers , as long as the damage hasn't already been done.
    Use some lock tite too

City
    Winter Park
    State
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by 51north View Post

I recently installed the Tallboy extenders for the floorboards on my SGS and now am considering adjusting front shifter down a notch on the spline since it's up higher with the floorboard change, and I was wondering if doing that could cause some premature failure problem with the levers like you guys have mentioned in this post by having the shifter at a different angle/setting.
    The problem is at the transmission linkage. The pinch bolt can lossen over time and strip the spline. Requires a complete primary tear down to replace.
    Adjusting the shifter arms won't aggravate anything as long as the splines match up correctly.. my dealer readjusts mine very service. Pisses me off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 StreetGlide Special FLHXS
    Charcoal Pearl
    12v Ciggarette lighter
    FreedomShields 7"
    ClearView Lg Clear
    HD fairing pouch
    Tech Gripper Cell Mount.. LAB
    HD 360 Highway peg mounts HD WG Pegs
    HD Rider backrest
    HD 4 point tall sissy bar
    HD 4 point luggage rack
    HD 4 point dock mounts
    HD Saddlebag Guards
    HD Guard bags..
    HD Curved license holder
    RC Components Xhaust 4.5 Slipoms
    Kuryakin Grand Tour luggage
    Lots of Willie G chrome

City
    Middle of nowhere
    State
    Washington
    I have now officially replaced the heel and toe shift pegs, removed the bolts to the shift level arm and used locktite, and then snugged them down. And... While I was at it, this was a good excuse to basically deal with the whole system and get the fancy chrome shift linkage I've been wanting.

Here it is
    20170427_145600.jpg20170427_145553.jpg

City
    Jackson
    State
    Mississippi
    Looks nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

City
    Luck
    State
    Wisconsin