Vance and Hines w/ThunderMax

question: O2 port in the right place on the Power Duals ? Or do i have to plug and create new ?

Gus

City
    Lake Havasu City
    State
    Arizona
    The current V&H headers have the O2 ports in the correct location.....mine just screwed right in!!

2014 FLHXS Vivid Black
    V/H 2-1-2 Power Duals | V/H FP3 Tuner | SE AC
    2" Reduced Reach Bars | Aileron heated grips | Corbin Dual Tour Saddle
    Chrome Sh*t everywhere| 8" LRS W/Recurve Screen| Fork Fangs
    Tour Pack (When Needed) | CD Dynamic Ringz LED's

2003 FLHRCi Silver & Black
    You name it and it's got it!!!

Founding Member
    City
    Statesville
    State
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
    The current V&H headers have the O2 ports in the correct location.....mine just screwed right in!!
    It ultimately will depend upon which model year of headers you purchased. If you purchased a set for '10 & newer touring models then it will come with 12mm bungs located near the transfer case and will not be compatible with the ThunderMax without installing 18mm O2 bungs near the engine exhaust ports.

If you have not already purchased a set and have a newer ('10 & newer) model touring bike, I'd recommend purchasing a set for a 2009 model. These will still work on newer touring models with the wider rear end, however, these will come with 18mm O2 Bungs located in the appropriate location (near the engine exhaust ports) for use with the ThunderMax.

Another thing to consider if you haven't purchased a set of headers yet is getting a set that has both 12mm and 18mm O2 Bungs. Below are a couple of links to headers that off the top of my head come with both types of bungs located in the appropriate locations but there are others available.

RC Components RCX Ceramic Power Max Headers

Khrome Werks Cross Under Power Headers

RC Components RCX Ceramic True Dual Headers

Hope this helps!

Lindsey :0)
    Lindsey Trausch
    www.IronAcesSpeedShop.com

'10 Street Glide
    - Iron Aces Street Glide Mount
    - RC Components Nitro Wheels - 21x3.5" / 18x5.5"
    - Klock Werks FLARE Windshield
    - Klock Werks Curvaceous Dash
    - Jac-Knife Highway Pegs
    - Battistini Wireframe Brake / Shifter Levers
    - Arlen Ness Modular Bagger Apes
    - Arlen Ness RAD III Hand Controls
    - Corbin Gunfighter Seat

Thank you much.....I got the power dual yesterday,,,,thundermax in coming monday....also got the breather. should start on next week. Your note lets me breathe easy for the weekend.
    APPRECIATE YA !
    Gus

Founding Member
    City
    Statesville
    State
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Thank you much.....I got the power dual yesterday,,,,thundermax in coming monday....also got the breather. should start on next week. Your note lets me breathe easy for the weekend.
    APPRECIATE YA !
    Gus
    No problem Gus, glad to help ya out!! You're going to be very happy with your new set-up, I'm sure of it. If you get a chance, post an update (and perhaps some photos) once you get everything installed!

Enjoy and ride safe!!

Lindsey Trausch

'10 Street Glide
    - Jac-Knife Highway Pegs
    - Corbin Gunfighter Seat

Lindsey,
    I got the new VH for the 2014....called VH before i even opened it......they have 18mm bungs that can be reduces to 12mm w/ adaptor they supplied. Thundermax is 18mm sensors.....guessin i should be ok on that.
    I had a guy tell me, I would have to seal the old O2 holes and weld in new ones in the correct places on the exhaust for the TMax to get good readings. The port on the front header is about 5 inches down. The second one in right before the power chamber. I wont think someone like VH would put them in a place so bad the tuner wont function.

thanks again,guys
    Gus

Founding Member
    City
    Statesville
    State
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Lindsey,
    I got the new VH for the 2014....called VH before i even opened it......they have 18mm bungs that can be reduces to 12mm w/ adaptor they supplied. Thundermax is 18mm sensors.....guessin i should be ok on that.
    I had a guy tell me, I would have to seal the old O2 holes and weld in new ones in the correct places on the exhaust for the TMax to get good readings. The port on the front header is about 5 inches down. The second one in right before the power chamber. I wont think someone like VH would put them in a place so bad the tuner wont function.

thanks again,guys
    Gus
    While in "theory" you could use 12mm-to-18mm adapters, I would caution against this only because of where the "original" 12mm bungs are located. The ThunderMax system was specifically designed to gather the air:fuel ratio reading from up around the engine exhaust ports (wide-band) while the factory ECM on your 2014 gathers this reading near the transfer case (narrow-band). If the 18mm bungs installed are located at the exhaust port area, you should be good to go. However, if located near the transfer case and you were to use the 12mm-to-18mm adapters, the air:fuel ratio reading relayed to the ThunderMax system would not be accurate simply because it is gathering this data from an incorrect location...all of which could cause tuning / performance issues which I'm certain you will not want the hassle of.

That being said, what the guy told you about plugging the existing 12mm bungs near the transfer case then installing 18mm bungs near where the header connects to the motor is what I would recommend...again, if these are not already located near the engine exhaust port on the header. However, if you were still on the fence about drilling into a brand new set of pipes, I recommendation reaching out to ThunderMax directly and explaining your set-up with them to see what their thoughts are. I'm fairly confident they will likey recommend plugging the 12mm bungs and installing the 18mm bungs but at least going this route you are getting this from the ThuderMax "experts".

At the end of the day I'm sure that the set-up you have wasn't cheap so if it were me, I'd lean on the advise of the experts at ThunderMax to ensure that everything on the bike it is installed properly in order to achieve the full benefits of the V&H Power Duals / Stage I / ThunderMax combination from the get-go. Their website is www.thunder-max.com, fyi.

Again, good luck with everything and please keep us posted!!

Last edited by IronAces; 08-12-2015 at 12:33 PM.
    Lindsey Trausch

'10 Street Glide
    - Jac-Knife Highway Pegs
    - Corbin Gunfighter Seat