Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City
    burlington
    State
    Vermont

Clutch Master Cylinder Clean and Syringe Flush.

I cleaned out the master cylinder as it was black fluid with chalky white swirles. Lots of debris in the fluid. Wiped out the master cylinder as black particles coated it. Used the syringe method to up flush the lines. Nice clear fluid eventually. I think this method is much easier then hand pumping the lever. Hard part was finding the proper size tubing. Not sure if this gets all of the junk out as the system is not under much pressure when the line is being flushed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Street Glide with Screaming Eagle Pipes

City
    Fairfax
    State
    Virginia
    OK, I'm going to be the one to ask the dumb question as I have been thinking of doing this too. Did you use the syringe to empty the lines first?
    Elliott
    2015 SGS - Amber Whiskey

Stage 1 - V&H Dresser Duals, CFR Slip Ons, RSD Clarity AC, and V&H FP3
    CD Bullet Ringz (Front)
    Accutronix Instigator rider boards
    Bad Dad Forward Control Kit with Toe Shifter
    Mustang LowDown Vintage Solo & low profile primary cover (vertically challenged)
    Kuryakyn Premium ISO Grips, Zombie Levers
    Kuryakyn Lower Triple Tree Wind Deflector
    HD 4-Point Docking Hardware, Rear Docking Hardware Cover Kit
    Klock Werks 6.5" Flare - Black

Prospect
    City
    Milford
    State
    Massachusetts
    Damn, I like that idea. What size line did you end up with? I wonder if it would work on the brakes too. I read lots of rumblings about needing the Harley computer to cycle the ABS unit. Don't see how it would be any different than a cars ABS tho.
    Last edited by chopper_man; 08-12-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Prospect
    City
    Milford
    State
    Massachusetts
    Couple web searches show a company called Hill Country Custom Cycles has a Syringe kit with 2 different size hoses. They also have a couple YouTube videos showing how to do both the ABS brakes and clutch. Looks like a winner to me!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Custom+bleeder

https://hillcountrycustomcycles.com/...-davidson.html

https://www.amazon.com/Hill-Country-...+bleed+syringe

City
    burlington
    State
    Vermont
    No I didn't use the syringe to empty. I mopped out the Master Cylinder with paper towels. Then "pushed" with the syringe pressure, out/up the line from the bottom bleeder. Then I would mop out the crap fluid until it cleared up. Then just filled to proper level.

City
    burlington
    State
    Vermont
    The tubing I got from the auto parts store is intended for gas line replacement for small engines. The tubing is 1/8 Internal Diameter 1/4 Outside Diameter. This fit the Clutch Bleed Nipple perfectly. The nipple on the clutch is much smaller then the brake bleed nipples so this size will not fit the brake bleeder. The syringe I got from a feed store and it was a perfect fit into the tubing.

City
    Cleveland Zoo
    State
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info boys.
    I wonder if there is a little air bubble at the bleeder inlet that get pushed up through the line.
    2014 SGS

City
    burlington
    State
    Vermont
    Yup there was a small bubble that got created inserting the tube onto the bleeder. But the wife could see it when it popped out at the master cylinder.

City
    Cleveland Zoo
    State
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Border Glide View Post
    Yup there was a small bubble that got created inserting the tube onto the bleeder. But the wife could see it when it popped out at the master cylinder.
    I was thinking too that you could use a second cheap syringe to pull the dirty fluid out of the reservoir as you push new from the bottom.
    2014 SGS

City
    Bay
    State
    Michigan
    you can get a lot of the air out of abs but not all if it goes in. I had to take mine in when I changed to chrome reservoirs.

My shop told me sometimes you can get out depending on how much air. Another shop told me you have to every time you do anything, which I think he was full of it