Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab, Utah

City
    Parker
    State
    Colorado

Moab, Utah

I hope this is the right forum to post this, this is the first time I've started a thread.

I was reading in another thread that Aviator5456 is headed to the Canyonlands area in Sept 2017. I'm in Moab right now, been here since Sunday, so I thought I'd post a couple of photos of what Aviator has to look forward to.

Needles Overlook Canyonlands.jpgRoad into Canyyonlands Needles District.jpg

City
    Seal Beach
    State
    California
    Looks awesome CoHam....Thanks

I'm still planning on the trip but my riding partner bailed on me. .
    2014 SGS
    Blackened Cayenne
    Cat gutted w/ V&H Twin Slash
    HD Screamin' Eagle Ventilator Elite A\C
    Kuryakin Transformer Grips | Dually Highway Pegs
    HD Rear Bag Guards | Saddlebag Lid Bra
    4-pt Docking with Detachable Backrest
    Color-matched Chopped Tour-Pac | HD Tour-Pac Travel Pak
    JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 7" LED Headlight
    Dynamic Lights Front/Rear LED's
    HD Adjustable Air Deflectors | Ram-mount Tough Claw
    HD 3 Pocket Windshield Bag

City
    East Valley
    State
    Arizona
    I drove through there couple of years ago and it's beautiful. My brother loves to ride there on his ZX14, he told me about it so I went there to see for myself. I will have to ride there one day, I saw so many bikes there. Truly a beautiful place to visit......a must place to visit.
    '15 FLHX, Vivid Black, ton of upgrades to list!

City
    Parker
    State
    Colorado
    It is a place worth seeing. There are way more unpaved Jeep roads than paved roads, but the paved roads are all worth checking out.

Aviator,
    Bummer about your buddy having to bail. The same thing happened with me last week, except it was two buddies, both could not avoid it. I went anyway, and I'm real glad that I did.

Coming from Southern Cal, you might not think to drive HW 128 that runs from the north side of Moab to I-70. This is a great road, and very scenic. The scenery stops about 12-15 miles up the road, so you can just turn around at that point. Along this road is the Sorrel River Ranch Resort. You can have lunch or dinner sitting on the back deck just a few feet away from the Colorado River. Also along this road is a Winery if you're into that.

A great detour while on HW 128 is to take the Castleton Road off of HW 128 through Castle Valley. This leads to Gateway, Colorado but you run out of pavement at the top. There is a pulloff area on the left just before the pavement ends (parking lot is gravel), which has a vault toilet and a short path to walk around. There are very obvious dinosaur tracks here, and some shear cliffs you can walk long with a great view.

One bummer you should know about; this summer the La Sal Mountain Loop Road is closed for repaving. This is a great road that leads over the mountain between south Moab and Castle Valley, which is right off HW 128 in the canyon. You can ride up about the first 14 miles from Moab before you'll need to turn around.

Below is a photo I took the other day on the Potash Road. If you look on the wall above the bike you'll see pertoglyphs. There are a whole bunch of them on the wall.IMG_3120.jpg
    Last edited by CoHam; 08-19-2017 at 11:40 AM.

City
    Warren
    State
    Michigan
    Very cool!
    2015 Street Glide Special
    Renegade Yukon Wheels l Performance Machine scallop A/C and horn l Decatted head pipe l V&H Twin Slash Round slip ons l V&H FP3 l Legends -1 front suspension and Revo A rear shocks l Ness Hot Legs l Harley slide covers l Dakota digital gauges l Sounds Customz Amp w/Carbon 65 & Iron57 speakers l Corbin Hollywood solo seat with pillion l Jac-Knife pegs l JW Speaker headlight l Custom Dynamics LED turn signals l Chrome and painted odds and ends

City
    Seal Beach
    State
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHam View Post
    It is a place worth seeing. There are way more unpaved Jeep roads than paved roads, but the paved roads are all worth checking out.

Aviator,
    Bummer about your buddy having to bail. The same thing happened with me last week, except it was two buddies, both could not avoid it. I went anyway, and I'm real glad that I did.

Coming from Southern Cal, you might not think to drive HW 128 that runs from the north side of Moab to I-70. This is a great road, and very scenic. The scenery stops about 12-15 miles up the road, so you can just turn around at that point. Along this road is the Sorrel River Ranch Resort. You can have lunch or dinner sitting on the back deck just a few feet away from the Colorado River. Also along this road is a Winery if you're into that.

A great detour while on HW 128 is to take the Castleton Road off of HW 128 through Castle Valley. This leads to Gateway, Colorado but you run out of pavement at the top. There is a pulloff area on the left just before the pavement ends (parking lot is gravel), which has a vault toilet and a short path to walk around. There are very obvious dinosaur tracks here, and some shear cliffs you can walk long with a great view.

One bummer you should know about; this summer the La Sal Mountain Loop Road is closed for repaving. This is a great road that leads over the mountain between south Moab and Castle Valley, which is right off HW 128 in the canyon. You can ride up about the first 14 miles from Moab before you'll need to turn around.

Below is a photo I took the other day on the Potash Road. If you look on the wall above the bike you'll see pertoglyphs. There are a whole bunch of them on the wall.IMG_3120.jpg
    Thanks CoHam....The advantages of going by yourself is you don't have to worry about someone canceling...lol. I hadn't thought about those roads. UDOT says 128 (MP 0 - MP20) is having some road construction from mid-August thru the winter so not sure I want to do that or not, but that and the Sorrel Ranch sounds pretty awesome. UDOT isn't reporting any construction on the La Sal Loop Road but with the construction on 128, it may not even be an option.
    I plan on heading down to Moki Dugway, then up to Hanksville for a cold one at Hollow Mountain. From there I'll head west on 24....down 12 to Bryce for a couple days.
    2014 SGS
    Blackened Cayenne
    Cat gutted w/ V&H Twin Slash
    HD Screamin' Eagle Ventilator Elite A\C
    Kuryakin Transformer Grips | Dually Highway Pegs
    HD Rear Bag Guards | Saddlebag Lid Bra
    4-pt Docking with Detachable Backrest
    Color-matched Chopped Tour-Pac | HD Tour-Pac Travel Pak
    JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 7" LED Headlight
    Dynamic Lights Front/Rear LED's
    HD Adjustable Air Deflectors | Ram-mount Tough Claw
    HD 3 Pocket Windshield Bag

City
    Parker
    State
    Colorado
    Aviator5456,

They were doing some of that construction on 128 when I was there and it wasn't bad enough to skip the road at that time. Since the best part of that road starts right in Moab, you could take a look and then turn around if the construction is bad.

I didn't know about the Moki Dugway road. I checked it out online and it's now on my list for my next trip out there. Thanks!

I didn't know you're going as far as Hanksville. If you think that you can make it to Boulder, Utah then you don't want to miss the Burr Trail. It's an easy road to miss even if you're looking for it. Find Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder, the Burr Trail Road T's into HW 12 right beside the grill. This north section of the Burr Trail is paved for many miles. It eventually ends in Bullfrog, Utah but it's not paved all the way there. Because you have to turn around when you run out of pavement, you get to experience this road going in both directions. You won't regret it. Dropping down into and then riding through the canyon section is awesome.

I can't find a photo right now, but I'll post one if I can dig them up.

Here is a link to an article describing the La Sal Loop Road construction:

https://utahmountainbiking.com/trail...losure2017.htm
    Last edited by CoHam; 09-03-2017 at 08:30 PM.

City
    West Monroe
    State
    Louisiana
    I am leaving Louisiana Sept. 30 riding across Texas, New Mexico, through 4 corners toward Blanding, Utah. Going to make my way to Salt Lake City then across Nevada to Reno. From there depending on road closures and any other unforseen problems, I am headed to Eureka, California. Got to see those giant redwood trees at least once. Going to hang out in that are for several days or until I have seen enough. Then heading on down through Cali, no particular route. Will go through Kingman, Arizona, then back through New Mexico and Texas to my place on the planet. Taking at least 3 weeks vacation. Hope that will be enough but I can call in for more should I need it. Yes I am going it alone. I can't find anyone that has enough vacation time or enough money. You guys have any suggestions about places to visit anywhere along this route, chime in I am just touring a few states....
    2017 CVO Street Glide aka Mary Jane
    2012 Heritage Softail aka The White Horse
    1950 Panhead aka Hannah
    1957 full custom hardtail with shovelhead engine aka The Punisher

City
    Nashville,
    State
    Tennessee
    Dream journey Singlebeam! E N J O Y !
    2017 FLHXS Velocity Red Sunglow
    Milwaukee Eight 107 l Stage 1 l V&H FP3 Tuner l SE air cleaner l Cobra 909 Slip ons l Stage ll Torque
    HD Hard Lowers
    l 4 Point detach l Low Backrest l ClearView Shield l Fairing wings l Fork deflectors
    Custom Dynamic Fr & Rr LED's & Plasma Rods, Halo headlight l CVO seat l Tri-Bar / Brake Taillight

PSALM 91
    Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

City
    mooresville
    State
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHam View Post
    I hope this is the right forum to post this, this is the first time I've started a thread.

I was reading in another thread that Aviator5456 is headed to the Canyonlands area in Sept 2017. I'm in Moab right now, been here since Sunday, so I thought I'd post a couple of photos of what Aviator has to look forward to.

Needles Overlook Canyonlands.jpgRoad into Canyyonlands Needles District.jpg
    Awesome looking Photos and place to ride.. Cool looking bike, Will you please tell me where you got your Leather Bag lid covers..I need some of these to protect the Denim paint from my wife's boots.. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by liquid1; 09-03-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    work hard to play hard
    2014 street glide special denim black 5700 miles 2nd owner
    full extended 4 year warrenty
    Arlen Ness Big sucker Stage 1
    Vance & Hines Full Dresser Header 4" Monster Black slip ons
    V&H FP3 Tuner Power Dual tune no baffles
    Convertible back rest with luggage rack
    Antenna delete
    ..Runs like a scalded cat..

1979 Shovel head low rider
    Custom build with lots of upgrades
    My youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkKl5WvU8e0&t=142s