Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moab, Utah

City
    Battle Mountain
    State
    Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by singlebeam View Post
    I am leaving Louisiana Sept. 30 riding across Texas, New Mexico, through 4 corners toward Blanding, Utah. Going to make my way to Salt Lake City then across Nevada to Reno. From there depending on road closures and any other unforseen problems, I am headed to Eureka, California. Got to see those giant redwood trees at least once. Going to hang out in that are for several days or until I have seen enough. Then heading on down through Cali, no particular route. Will go through Kingman, Arizona, then back through New Mexico and Texas to my place on the planet. Taking at least 3 weeks vacation. Hope that will be enough but I can call in for more should I need it. Yes I am going it alone. I can't find anyone that has enough vacation time or enough money. You guys have any suggestions about places to visit anywhere along this route, chime in I am just touring a few states....

When you get close to Nevada give me a shout and if possible I will ride with you for a ways and show you around. This sounds like a wonderful trip and you are going to see lots of new country.

2014 Mysterious Red Sunglo
    Stage 1 D&D Boss Fat Cat 2-1 exhaust FP3 tuner
    JW Speaker E2, Custom Dynamic running and tails, 8 plasma rods
    Soundz Customz level 5 Carbon Iron series, 5x7 lids
    Color matched inner fairing and King tour pack with lowers
    Fork fangs, Fairing deflectors, REDA bag bolts

City
    West Monroe
    State
    Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by TomA View Post
    When you get close to Nevada give me a shout and if possible I will ride with you for a ways and show you around. This sounds like a wonderful trip and you are going to see lots of new country.
    Thanks, sounds like a plan...
    2017 CVO Street Glide aka Mary Jane
    2012 Heritage Softail aka The White Horse
    1950 Panhead aka Hannah
    1957 full custom hardtail with shovelhead engine aka The Punisher

City
    West Monroe
    State
    Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Dream journey Singlebeam! E N J O Y !
    Yes I planned this ride last year then developed a foot problem that kept me off work for 6 months. That's all over now and I am determined to make the trip.
    1950 Panhead aka Hannah

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    That sounds like a very nice road trip! Don't forget to load your favorite music on your thumb drive.

2015 Vivid Black SGS w/107 motor: V&H Pro Pipe, Thundermax tuner, SE Ventilator Elite AC with K&N filter, Andrews 30T pulley mod, AIM variable pressure clutch, Evolution Industries billet clutch basket, Twin Power compensator eliminator sprocket, HD highway pegs, HD passenger floorboards, RB Racing modified stock swingarm (2" over adjustable), HD 7" Wind Splitter windshield, HD black windshield trim, JM Corp 250W 2 channel amp and Focal 165 KRC speakers in fairing

City
    West Monroe
    State
    Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by NGOT8R View Post
    That sounds like a very nice road trip! Don't forget to load your favorite music on your thumb drive.
    I have an Ipod full of my music. I use a thumb drive on my Heritage. It should be a great adventure. Thanks...
    1950 Panhead aka Hannah

City
    Parker
    State
    Colorado
    liquid1,
    Those are the "Mustang plain saddlebag lid cover" made by Mustang, the company that makes motorcycle seats. They are not leather, it's the same material that their seat covers are made from and match the seat very well.
    I bought them to protect the lids from my travel bag that hangs over the side of the luggage rack that's on the rear fender. The bag did not sag onto the lids, but with those covers I had peace of mind in case it did.
    I got mine online from J&P Cycles web site.
    Last edited by CoHam; 09-06-2017 at 09:19 AM.

City
    Parker
    State
    Colorado
    singlebeam,
    It sounds like you'll have a great trip. I did an eight day, 2500 mile trip in early June across southern Colorado and Utah and then back across northern Arizon and New Mexico. So I have a few ideas for you. I'll have to get back to this tomorrow though

City
    West Monroe
    State
    Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHam View Post
    singlebeam,
    It sounds like you'll have a great trip. I did an eight day, 2500 mile trip in early June across southern Colorado and Utah and then back across northern Arizon and New Mexico. So I have a few ideas for you. I'll have to get back to this tomorrow though
    Sounds good, thanks.
    1950 Panhead aka Hannah

City
    Parker
    State
    Colorado
    Singlebeam, sorry it took so long. I'm sure that you already have your course mapped out, but I wanted to point out some routes that I've taken and enjoyed.

I can’t help you getting through Texas or southeast New Mexico. I’m not sure what route you plan for getting to Four Corners, but I like the north-central area of New Mexico, near Sante Fe & Taos.

If you plan to come across US 40 then just west of Santa Rosa you can head north on HW 84 toward Las Vegas, New Mexico. You will meet I-25 and then head north to Las Vegas. In Las Vegas find 7th Street, which is also Rt. 518 and take 518 north past Storrie Lake. In Cleveland, you’ll see Teresa’s Tamales, definitely a good place for food. You can follow 518 all the way to Taos.

HW 518 meets HW 68 at Ranchos Del Taos just south of Taos. Going north on HW 68 you’ll see HW 585 heading east. This will turn into HW 64, which is the southern part of the Enchanted Circle. Take this to Eagles Nest where you continue north on HW 38, which is the northern half of the Enchanted Circle. This will take you through Red River. Red River is the location of a Bike Rally around Memorial Day every year. You follow 38 to Questa, where it meets HW 522. Take 522 south toward Taos.

On the northern edge of Taos, turn west on HW 64 toward Tres Piedras. You’ll cross a bridge a few miles down that is high above the canyon over the Rio Grande. It’s worth stopping for a look, there are a bunch of roadside vendors along the side of the road typically. There is also a decent rest area on the west side of the bridge if you need a pit stop.

Follow 64 west through Chama, New Mexico, and turn north on 84 when you see it. Go through Chromo, Colorado and on into Pagosa Springs. At Pagosa Springs turn west on HW 160 to Durango.

At Durango turn north on 550 (the Million Dollar Highway) headed toward Silverton and Ouray, and continue to Ridgeway. At Ridgeway turn west on HW 62 toward Placerville. When you meet HW 142, turn south toward Placerville and Telluride. The side trip off of HW 145 to get to Telluride is worth the time. Telluride is an old high altitude mountain mining town that is now a tourist attraction and ski area. The movie The Hateful Eight was filmed here not too long ago.

Continue on HW 145 to Dolores and on down into Cortez, Colorado. You will follow HW 491 out of Cortez to get to Four Corners.

This route will take you through some of the best paved road scenery in New Mexico and southern Colorado, in my opinion.

I would backtrack on 491 to take Colorado HW 41 into Utah, which turns into HW 162. This heads into the Blanding area. Make sure that you know the range of your bike when in this part of the country, and don’t pass up a gas station unless you’re sure that you know where the next one is. Just because the map says there is a town does not mean that there will be a gas station there. Sometimes you won’t even notice that you passed through a town that is labeled on the map.

If you want to go north from Blanding, then a worthy detour along the way is to Newspaper Rock (see link below), but I would take the "back way" from Monticello that goes through the scenic mountain road instead of the boring highway. In Monticello head west on the neighborhood street "W 200 S", this will jog left and turn into Abajo Rd and then N Creek and Rd 101. Stay on this paved road into the mountains and keep following it. It will eventually end at Rd 211. Turn left on 211 and you're just a few miles from Newspaper Rock, which is a small parking lot on your right when you get to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspa...toric_Monument

You can return to HW 191 by following 211 all the way back if you don't want to drive the mountain road back to Monticello, or if you are intending to continue north toward Moab.

If continuing north toward Moab, then don't skip seeing Needles Overlook. It is at the end of Rd 133, which meets HW 191 about ten miles north of where 211 meets HW 191. The views of Canyonlands from this overlook are amazing.

Since you're heading to Salt Lake, I think the most scenic route across Utah is to take HW 95, which starts south of south of Blanding to HW 276 to Halls Crossing. Then you can take the ferry across the Colorado River from Halls Crossing to Bullfrog, Utah. The ferry connects the two parts of HW 276. Go north out of Bullfrog on 276 through Ticaboo and then meet HW 95, continuing north to Hanksville. If you're going to take the ferry then check a day ahead to make sure it's operating (link with contact info below). If not the ferry then just stay on HW 95 to Hanksville.

http://www.canyon-country.com/lakepowell/ferry.htm

If you have enough time off, then from Hanksville head west on HW 24 toward Torrey, Utah. Then go south on HW 12 toward Boulder. At Boulder there is a historic and very scenic side trip called the Burr Trail. Follow this until the pavement ends and then turn around and come back to HW 12. If you were in a Jeep or vehicle suited for non-pavement then this road goes all the way to Bullfrog. Hell’s Backbone Grill is right at the junction of HW 12 and the Burr Trail, so when you get back to HW 12 you can stop for something to eat and drink. Then continue south on HW 12 through Escalante and all the way to Bryce National Park. This whole ride is another amazing eye-popping area. If you have the time and have never been through this part of the country then it is a must-see area.

Since you are going to Salt Lake, you can turn north at Bryce and head in that direction. Can’t help you much on that route because I always head south to Zion National Park and then down through Arizona and the Grand Canyon.

I hope that you have a fantastic trip. If you’ve never been through these areas then they are sights you’ll always remember.
    Last edited by CoHam; 09-09-2017 at 12:03 PM.

City
    West Monroe
    State
    Louisiana
    Thanks coham I am making notes of all the info you guys have given me.
    1950 Panhead aka Hannah