Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas

**Decatting and modifying stock M8 header**

I acquired a stock header from my buddy in exchange for installing a decatted header and mufflers on his 2017 RGS. My plan was to modify the header to my liking. So far, I have cut out a section from each primary tube and will be replacing those sections with 304 stainless steel and an 18mm o2 sensor bung in each. I purchased a chain style exhaust pipe cutter and cut the shell on the catalytic converter. I then removed the cat (for off-road use only), by drilling holes and using a pipe to knock the cat out. I still have to clean up a little residual cat material that remained stuck to the walls of the shell and bevel the two halves in preparation to be welded. Once I get all of my parts in hand, I will take everything to my buddy and have him Tig weld it together. Here are a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NGOT8R; 04-25-2018 at 09:47 PM.

2015 Vivid Black SGS w/107 motor: V&H Pro Pipe, Thundermax tuner, SE Ventilator Elite AC with K&N filter, Andrews 30T pulley mod, AIM variable pressure clutch, Evolution Industries billet clutch basket, Twin Power compensator eliminator sprocket, HD highway pegs, HD passenger floorboards, RB Racing modified stock swingarm (2" over adjustable), HD 7" Wind Splitter windshield, HD black windshield trim, JM Corp 250W 2 channel amp and Focal 165 KRC speakers in fairing

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    Pic of the chain exhaust cutting tool that I used. It took about 250 revolutions around the pipe to make the cut, but as you can see, the cut is very clean.

2015 Vivid Black SGS w/107 motor: V&H Pro Pipe, Thundermax tuner, SE Ventilator Elite AC with K&N filter, Andrews 30T pulley mod, AIM variable pressure clutch, Evolution Industries billet clutch basket, Twin Power compensator eliminator sprocket, HD highway pegs, HD passenger floorboards, RB Racing modified stock swingarm (2" over adjustable), HD 7" Wind Splitter windshield, HD black windshield trim, JM Corp 250W 2 channel amp and Focal 165 KRC speakers in fairing

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    Man is the residual cat material extremely hard to remove from the walls of the cat shell! I tried using a wire wheel on the end of a drill and that didn't work as well as I had hoped it would. Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the material?

City
    Warren
    State
    Massachusetts
    Gasket scraper or putty knife and a hammer and just chip away at it.definately time a consuming job,youll get it.

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by 18flhxs View Post
    Gasket scraper or putty knife and a hammer and just chip away at it.definately time a consuming job,youll get it.
    Thanks 18flhxs. I'll give it a try. I don't see how anyone is getting all of the material out of the shell without cutting it in half to,gain better access. I've read a few threads in which people have claimed to get everything out by drilling and then scraping. It just seems impossible to me.
    Last edited by NGOT8R; 04-26-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    Today I finished removing the residual cat material from the inner walls of the cat shell. Man is this stuff difficult to remove! You cannot scrape it off, you must carefully sand it down until it's smooth. I am happy with the results. Here are some comparison pics.

City
    Independence
    State
    Missouri
    Wonder what the chances are of this being an option? Just thinking about the accuracy of aligning and welding it all back together. Price seems reasonable enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modified-Ca...53.m1438.l2649

2017 Streetglide Special
    Chrome Enforcer wheels
    CVO extended bags
    Chrome front end
    Screamin' Eagle High flow air cleaner
    4.5" Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons
    V&H FP3 Tuner
    HD Low profile solo seat
    Curved plate frame
    Hogworkz Chopped Tour Pack
    Docking kit, bar & SG backrest

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by MKA_5966 View Post
    Wonder what the chances are of this being an option? Just thinking about the accuracy of aligning and welding it all back together. Price seems reasonable enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modified-Ca...53.m1438.l2649
    I saw that listing on eBay. It looks to me like they cut it at the seems and down the length of the cat shell too. I'm sure they marked the pipe with a sharpie like I did before making the cuts. Then they would just line up the marks, weld it back together and the alignment remains the same as stock. I say go for it. If you do, will you please post pics of the quality of the welded sections? Thanks

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    Got the header welded back up with the new 18mm o2 sensor bungs installed. I hit the pipe with a scotch bright pad and stainless steel cleaner/polish afterwards, to make it look nice. You can see the difference compared to the crossover pipe, which I'll be doing as well. I think it turned out pretty nice. I'm even thinking of sending it out to Jet Hot to have it ceramic coated, but I'll decide on that part after I've had a chance to test fit it on the bike.

Founding Member
    City
    Kansas City
    State
    Kansas
    A couple more.