Prospect
    City
    Atlanta
    State
    Georgia

How to adjust handle bars on 2010 SG

Need some help. Can someone tell me or point me to instructions on how to adjust my handle bars?

I broke down and had to be towed. The tow truck driver had this contraption that slipped onto the handlebar grips and had belts that attached to the tow truck. When he tighten the belts to stabilize the bike I thought I saw the bars move. I stopped him and made him take the thing off. When I picked the bike up at the shop, sure enough they had moved about an 1.5”. The breakdown already cost me $760 buck so I like to avoid anymore cost. You help and suggestions are much appreciated.

City
    Gilbert
    State
    Arizona
    You're going to have to loosen the bar clamp, beneath the radio inside the fairing.

If you take off the plastic button console that surrounds the key switch, you should be able to just barely get a wrench in there, to break the two rearward bolts of the clamps free and rotate the bars back in place.

If you cannot access those bolts with just the switch panel off, or need to back off the forward two bolts as well, you need to move the fairing. You'll have to remove the outer fairing, aux lights if equipped, then remove the studs that the aux lights or turn signals affix to. Then you can pull the inner fairing up and forward to get it to rotate out of your way. This is the process I used to change my bars, total removal of the fairing is not required. Just get it to tilt forward out of your way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2014 Street Glide Special in Mysterious Red
    drilled open mufflers
    K&N filter in stock housing
    auto tuned with FP3

daily driver. living in AZ, it's always riding season!

Prospect
    City
    Atlanta
    State
    Georgia

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you, I was hoping I could do it without removing the fairing.

QUOTE=azglocker;86402]You're going to have to

loosen the bar clamp, beneath the radio inside the fairing.

If you take off the plastic button console that surrounds the key switch, you should be able to just barely get a wrench in there, to break the two rearward bolts of the clamps free and rotate the bars back in place.

If you cannot access those bolts with just the switch panel off, or need to back off the forward two bolts as well, you need to move the fairing. You'll have to remove the outer fairing, aux lights if equipped, then remove the studs that the aux lights or turn signals affix to. Then you can pull the inner fairing up and forward to get it to rotate out of your way. This is the process I used to change my bars, total removal of the fairing is not required. Just get it to tilt forward out of your way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Prospect
    City
    Atlanta
    State
    Georgia
    Thank you, I was hoping I could do it without removing the fairing.

City
    Battle Mountain
    State
    Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacamuso View Post
    Need some help. Can someone tell me or point me to instructions on how to adjust my handle bars?

I broke down and had to be towed. The tow truck driver had this contraption that slipped onto the handlebar grips and had belts that attached to the tow truck. When he tighten the belts to stabilize the bike I thought I saw the bars move. I stopped him and made him take the thing off. When I picked the bike up at the shop, sure enough they had moved about an 1.5”. The breakdown already cost me $760 buck so I like to avoid anymore cost. You help and suggestions are much appreciated.
    You need to be careful until you get it adjusted if the bars were pulled down. They may make contact with your tank and dent it at full lock to lock.

2014 Mysterious Red Sunglo
    Stage 1 D&D Boss Fat Cat 2-1 exhaust FP3 tuner
    JW Speaker E2, Custom Dynamic running and tails, 8 plasma rods
    Soundz Customz level 5 Carbon Iron series, 5x7 lids
    Color matched inner fairing and King tour pack with lowers
    Fork fangs, Fairing deflectors, REDA bag bolts

Prospect
    City
    Atlanta
    State
    Georgia
    Thanks, they aren’t that low, but I want them back where they belong.

QUOTE=TomA;86414]You need to be careful until you get it adjusted if the bars were pulled down. They may make contact with your tank and dent it at full lock to lock.[/QUOTE]

Prospect
    City
    Atlanta
    State
    Georgia
    Thanks, they aren’t that low, but I want them back where they belong.