Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Tony, where are you? The site says Arizona! Meeting in Frederick will be quite a trick for you if you're coming all the way from AZ! Funny you mention Frederick, as I was actually at the HD dealer there today. As part of my need to log some miles prior to the 1K check-up, I took a ride up there today. I've now broken the 500 mile mark!! Today's ride was about 125 miles.....and sadly, it POURED on the way back! I knew that there was supposed to be rain today, but prediction was for some time after noon to 1 pm....then on into the later hours of the day and evening. As it worked out, my ride up to Frederick was dry and overcast.....which had me thinking that the prediction was probably correct. I was at the store for all of about 20 minutes....and when I went to exit it was raining pretty hard. It actually got worse as I headed East...... and about the time I got home at 12:30, it slowed up to a near stop. About 30 minutes later, the sun was out......and it stayed clear and beautiful for the rest of the day! Go figure! I did get in some fishing.......so that was a good thing!

So you're making some significant changes to your bike! Is this the '19 CVO bike you show with your avatar? If so, are you at all concerned about any warranty ramifications? If so, as an 'ex' Warranty Administration Manager at Chrysler, I can tell you that it is ILLEGAL to void a warranty! So, in effect, you can do anything you want to your bike and the motor company cannot 'void' any existing coverage. However, that said, NO manufacturer is obligated to pay for repairs determined to be the result of any add-ons or aftermarket modifications.....among other things like 'racing' or 'acts of God', or 'Neglect', etc! Further, with these newer motorcycles, the brain-box is smart enough to know that you've added an after-market tuner. So, just as a caution, if you've not already considered this, you should probably be aware of it in the event you ever did suffer any kind of failure that you expected to be a 'warranty' repair. Last comment on this is that no doubt HD has a field of experts lined up to decline most anything they think might not be a warranty failure. So, I'd get your ducks in a row if anything ever did happen, and maybe NOT get the dealership involved until after you had a firm knowledge of what actually what went wrong and why. Maybe time for an 'independent expert'..........

I'd love to meet in Frederick! And, from there, it's a hop, skip, and a jump on up to Gettysburg, PA....which is also pretty interesting. BUT..... I recently found a REALLY great area to ride in; this being the PA 'Spraul State Forest'. This was an absolutely beautiful area!! I don't know what AZ has for mountain top rides....but around here Skyline Drive is one of the local favorites. Goes all through the Smokey Mountains! Anyway, the Spraul (or maybe 'Sproul') State Forest also is part of a mountain chain....the Allegany mountains I believe. Me and a buddy took a run up there last fall......and I swear we rode for 3 hours or more, never once saw another car, and was some of the prettiest scenery around ever! The only drawback was the 'Beware of Elk' issue...... Seems they imported in some Elk about 20 odd years ago, and they've proliferated so much that they now jump off the rock ledges and on to cars traveling on the roads below. Not cool if you're on a motorcycle.

Anyway, I'm keeping my bike's running gear 'stock' for now. And, as of today, I ordered the Hogtunes upgrade for the '19 Street Glide. I should have it Thursday.....and they say it's about a 4 to 6 hour install depending on your tools and knowledge. I've heard all kinds of comments about this kit, ranging from 'it's great' to 'it sucks!!'. I believe it now sells for $469 but I got a deal for $331. This included the 225 watt amp, new speakers, and all the necessary mounting gear and harness. I'll probably wait until after I get back for this. Like you, I suffer somewhat from a hearing deficiency. Mine is that syndrome where when I get around a lot of noise, everything all just blends together and I can't distinguish one sound from another. Loud bars are a bitch! But, my hearing is actually quite acute! I have excellent range and sensitivity.....just gets all jumbled up. I might mention that I build amplifiers for fun and profit. I build both Guitar amps and home audio amps, all 'tube' stuff.

Gotta run..............

TSD

Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Oh, regarding the 7" windshield, I don't think it's all that much better than the stock windscreen that came with the bike. I got the 'wave' version, and I"d say that it probably does take a bit more of the wind load off your chest. But, the 7" version didn't do much for me in terms of reducing the wind noise at my ears. I'm not a particularly tall guy....6 feet with a 31" inseam. So, I guess I'm a bit long through the torso. I've ordered a 10.5" wave windscreen and I'm hopeful that it will be a bit more effective. I don't think I"m going to like the way it looks, but for a long trip, it may be well worth it. All of about $30 off ebay including shipping. I think HD gets about $180 for basically the same thing! Ridiculous! I'm not a big fan of cheap aftermarke stuff....but for some things, where HD is asking stupid money, I just can't see spending nearly $200 for something I can buy for under $30. Anyway......forgot to mention this in the last note.

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    So these new amps, do they include new crossovers? I donít have an issue with how many watts the existing system puts out, I can never get the volume bet half before the abundance of bass muddies the sound and sounds like itís gonna blow the rear speakers. And I have the bass gain turned all the way down. I should be able to crank this thing all the way up and it should stay clear. I would like some clear thumpin bass, but alas itís all power and not clear at all.

Yes, I have the 19 CVO SG. Itís my 3rd CVO, and 5th new Harley.

07 Custom Softail
    09 CVO RG
    12 RG Ultra
    17 CVO SG
    19 CVO SG

Iíve never had a warranty issue, but as you can see, I donít keep them very long. I typically put about 7500 miles/year on them. But thank you for the independent expert idea, thatís a great tip.

I live in Aldie, VA. Not sure why it says AZ. Iíve never lived there.

Amp builder?? So cool. I am in need of a new knob for my gerbing heated seat controller and want something kinda short metal and black. Do you know what the amp spline looks like?

In my cage today finishing up a barn. Check out my freshly fabricated Harley hauler...

Tony
    19 CVO SG

Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Oh, EQ on amps: I think some of the more expensive ones have cross-overs built into them. The Hogtunes unit runs off the HD speaker 'out' connections. So, it's EQ'd as is the Boom head unit. I'm told that HD offers a 'flash' for the head's EQ when used with some of the more sophisticated amps. But, from what I've seen, there is another way around this, which is to use one of the line-level converters....which takes the speaker connections and runs them into a tiny transformer. This creates an 'inducted' signal which is at line-lever, or that which goes to a standard RCA type input. This is pretty common in the auto-sound world.....but I don't know how well these guys address the aspect of speaker impedance with these line-level converters. As you probably know, the HD system uses 2 ohm speakers. I think most of these line level converters are made for 4 ohm car radios. In reality, this only poses a problem if you turn the radio up too high to get more volume. When using one of these, you should have a pretty powerful amp to compensate for the loss of drive through the converter. More on this later if you're interested.

Gotta go............

TSD

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    Hey, how was your ride this afternoon? How many miles did you log?

What are your thoughts on this product? Do you think it would clean up the stock boom system?

https://www.americanhardbag.com/coll...d-fosgate-dsr1

I found some guitar knobs, theyíre perfect

They control my heated jacket and pants.

Tony
    19 CVO SG

Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Glad those knobs worked out for you!!

I did some reading on that Rockford unit. It's pretty interesting, not to mention 'sophisticated'. I think the answer to 'will it clean up the stock radio....?' is 'YES'! HOWEVER, I'm not sure that this is to say that it will make a stock system become satisfactory.

I did 200 miles today, and once again got caught in the rain....twice! But, I did a LOT more listening to the music system. I am no so sure but what the system may have some flaws that this Rockford thing might clear up nicely. I AM sure it's got some flaws! One of them is that after some extended listening, I perceived a very disturbing HF (High Frequency) response that was NOT 'musical'. It was as if the system was reacting to HF musical passages.....like cymbols or some guitar licks.....but as the system was 'attempting' to reproduce the HF cleanly, it ended up adding some kind of harmonic that was almost a 'screeching' noise....but it was pretty high up there in frequency range. This shrillness ended up giving me a headache....to the point where I had to turn things off.

I know we've mentioned some of our ailments.....and I have to add a very bad case of tinnitus to my list. The constant ringing in my ears sometimes drives me nutz....especially when trying to go to sleep. But, as I mentioned before, some testing I had done a few years ago supported that my hearing is still quite good. Actually, for a guy my age, it's extraordinary. I can still hear HF above 20Khz, and my sensitivity range was right at the top of the scale. So, while the ringing in my ears is constant, I'm still able to discern music pretty decisively. I don't know if this is helping me or hurting me when it comes to the 'Boom' system, but I can say that while I'm really happy to have music to listen to..... I may suffer some from the combination of the music, the engine noise, and the wind noise.

On my epic ride last year I ended up buying a 3/4 helmet so as to block some of the wind and engine noise. This was great, and made the ride SO much more enjoyable. However, last year was my first experience on any bike with a radio (that was on my '07 Street Glide). I had a couple of CDs with me, and I listened to them some, but I really wasn't thinking about music on the trip. In never before having a bike with tunes, I just didn't really appreciate having it on that one. BUT.....that trip rather introduced me to the whole prospect, and it was very much one of the things I missed when I sold that bike. The '07 SG didn't have cruise either, so that became a requirement on the replacement. As it worked out, the '05 Ultra I purchased DID have cruise, as did the '01 RK, but those two bikes were basically purchased to 'flip' and make a few $$ on. In selling all 3 of those bikes, the profits more than paid for the '07 Ultra....which I think I mention I only paid $3900 for. I figured I actually cleared about $5K on the '07 SG, the '05 Ultra, and the '01 RK. After doing all I had to do to get the '07 Ultra up and running, I put that $5K all back into it. BUT, at that point, I was at break-even. And, the cruise was NOT working on that bike! That, and the fact that the dealer gave me $10K trade for it, that made the purchase of the '19 SG almost something I couldn't refuse.

Anyway, I feel like I'm already abusing it by riding it in the rain. It's dirty now, and has lost that 'new glow' it had up until yesterday. But, I'm now at 700 mile on the nose! I told them I'd have 800 on it when I bring it in. It's a 70 mile ride up to Darlington and Chesapeake HD. So, I've got to do 30 more miles locally tomorrow, then ride up to to Darlington and drop it off. I'll pick it up by trailer on Friday, then maybe actually hit the road over the weekend. We'll see. My Hogtunes kit is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.....and I may just back my departure off long enough to install that kit. In any event, I'm now going to be a bit more cautious about the Boom system. I had tipped up the treble when I first got the bike, as well as backed off the bass....knowing that this would help the music cut through the wind and engine noise better. I may have to dial the treble back some....but then I think the ability to hear it at all will suffer. So.... now experiencing some limitations that I hope this Hogturnes kit will resolve. I'm NOT expecting audiophile sound quality..... but as most people seem to indicate that the sound system can actually deliver pretty 'undistorted' music even at highway speeds....... I hope my expectations ARE realistic.....and doable. Guess we'll see. Maybe that Rockford unit IS the answer!!!

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    Good morning

Did everything go OK with your 1000 mile service? So what did you decide on the Hogtunz install? Did you do before your 3500 journey?

Where are you riding today?

Tony
    19 CVO SG

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    Man, that sucks that you got stuck with Bob. I wish Harley would recognize that us CVO guys are a special breed and expect a certain level of service. After all, weíre probably singlehandedly keeping Harley afloat.

Do you have your EITMS system enabled? That might have had something to do with your experience. Especially if it was off when you took it in and they enabled it. I run with mine on all the time. Not sure if it helps, but when it kicks in at a light, it makes me think I have a high tech bike. Haha

If thatís not the case, then I think you other assumption might be correct. They got some water in something they werenít supposed to when they washed it. Iím always very careful with the hose, but Iím sure theyíre not. Iíve met a few Harley wash guys, and theyíre typically a few cards short of a full deck.

Take her out one more time tonight before setting off on your journey, hopefully sheíll be all better after the water has had time to evaporate. This will at least help you sleep better

We were planning a trip to Rehobeth today, but are backing off because I donít wanna ride back in the heat. Weíre taking the cage instead.

Tony
    19 CVO SG