Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland

2019 SG - where to pick up a "switched" 12 volts under the faring?

Hello Fellow SG Owners!!

New to this forum and my 2019 SG, though not-so-new to HD in general. This is my second SG, with an '07 being my first. Also had an '05 and an '07 Ultra...as well as an '01 and an '04 Road King. I rather cycled through most of these bikes as my '01 Fatboy has been with me now since '03, and this has basically been my primary ride. However, this '19 SG has put the Fatboy into retirement. Not sure what it's future will be, but that's another subject.

I'm in the process of breaking in my new SG, and only have 400 miles on it at the moment. Just got it last week. Over the weekend I installed a set of LED Passing lights to supplement the headlight. This is an aftermarket kit consisting of basically the mounts and lights with no wiring harness or installation instructions. As it worked out, I was able to remove the LED Turn Signal assemblies and reinstall the stock units. This left just the need to complete some kind of wiring hookup to the driving lights themselves.

I ran a 14 G wire back to the battery, and installed a 10 amp fuse there as well. I put this wire in one of those plastic loom covers and ran it under the tank and on up inside the faring. Because I didn't want to run the risk of failing to turn these lights off if I ran them during the day, I decided to put a "switched" relay into the system. This is where it gets dicey. I had no problem finding what appeared to be a suitable wire under the faring.....but then I guess that's the question: Is this wire I found actually suitable? As it worked out, I found a connector with both a blue wire and a black wire in it....which I believe are part of the lighting wiring harness.....and this connector is just left blank under the faring. If looking at the bike from the front, the connector is on the right...... or if in the saddle, it's on the left.....and located rather up to the top. When the ignition switch is turned on, the blue wire powers up with 12 volts from the battery. So, I used this wire to supply voltage to a relay. I put a small toggle switch in as well. So, now when the bike is turned "on"...power goes to the toggle switch. If I turn on the toggle switch, the relay triggers and the passing lights illuminate. The main power to the passing lights goes from the battery through the relay and on to the lights. And, if the motorcycle ignition switch is turned off, the power to the relay is lost and the lights go off as well. So, in all regards it seems OK. However I just want to make sure that using this blue wire is a good place to get my 12 volts of power to run the relay.....or if this represents some potential problem with the can-bus system?

Many thanks, WC

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    Grab the cigarette lighter wire. Itís a strong 12v accessory feed.

Tony
    19 CVO SG

Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Tony, don't know why I didn't think of that one myself! Old age must be taking it's toll on me. Thanks so much! Guess that front faring has to come off one more time, but to make this change it's probably a good idea. Hopefully that outlet is 'switched'.....but that's easy to find out. If not, then I'm back to this post again. I'll update shortly.

Thanks again, Tom

Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Tony, change made! System working perfectly. At this point I don't think I'm going to have time to do any more to the bike between now and when I depart on my 4.5K trip. But, at least I've got the lighting improvements made. I have to install some new grip, as the 'stock' ones that are on the bike just won't cut it for 4500 miles. I also have some highway pegs to install. But, I've got 4 more days at least, depending on how many miles I can ride between now and Friday, and if I can get the dealership to do the 1K service for me on Friday. If so, then I'll depart Saturday am. If not, then I guess I'll just have to wait until they can squeeze me in.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony! I guess not being used to bikes with Cigarette Lighters...... I just never thought of that one! Good call though!

Tom D.

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    Glad it worked out for you Tom. Where is this 4500 mile trip to??

Tony
    19 CVO SG

Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Hey Tony,

I live outside of Baltimore, Maryland. Been here for over 30 years now, but I'm originally from Michigan. My trip this year is tentatively scheduled to have me departing Baltimore and heading North to Scranton, PA to visit a buddy. From there I was heading north and east to Boston to seek out some old friends from my youth. This part of the trip is a 'maybe' as it's somewhat contingent on my being able to communicate with them prior to my departure. I haven't seen either of them in 40+ years........so..... who knows. One way or another I'll be heading to Niagara Falls to visit another friend.....then to Huron, Ohio for yet one more old buddy. Then to the Detroit area to visit 2 of my 3 kids, and all 3 of my grand kids. From Detroit it will be north west across Michigan to the Charlevoix area to seek out my brother who has a summer home on the shore of Lake Michigan. Then, about 30 miles from Charlevoix, and practically under the Mackinaw Bridge, my youngest son has 10 acres of 'off grid' woods. He has an "A" frame house he just built all by himself, as well as a Tree-House that would rival some hotel rooms....particularly if it had running water...which it does not! Out-house.....and bathing in the Pigeon River!!...lol Anyway, from there I'll cross the Mack bridge, and head west to Minnesota, then south to Milwaukee, Wis where I"ll pick up the Ferry and cross back east to Michigan at Muskegon. About 20 miles from there is my old College Room Mate.....so I'll visit him for a day or so, then head south east across Michigan to Jackson and find a few of my cousins. Then one more night in Detroit with my son or daughter....then back to Baltimore with one last night on the road somewhere.....maybe something like Charleston, WV. I calculate the trip, if including the Boston run, to be just under 5K miles. If I go from Scranton directly to Niagara, and still include going across Michigan's upper peninsula and down to Milwaukee, still about 4200 or so. If I skip that part and just turn back south toward Muskegon, then it works out to about 3300.....which is what I did last year. It's a great run, this time of year the weather is usually perfect unless you get caught in a rain storm. I don't melt, so that's not a worry for me. I don't like riding in the rain, but part of the new bike purchase was to get ABS.....so I"ll feel a bit safer. My only regret is that I won't be able to get my stereo system upgraded in time to leave. Oh well. Hey, if you want to make a run from AZ to WI....we could meet for HD's Dealer Show! Supposed to be a good time!!! Tom D.

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    That sounds like an amazing trip. How long will you be on the road? Any plans to visit the H-D plant while in WI? You riding by yourself?

I used to ride to see my dad a couple times a year, Arlington, VA to Cincinnatti. About 9 hours in a day, which took my body about 2 days to recover from. He moved to FL, and Iíve risen to see him once. It was a 2 day trip, about 8-9 hours each day. It wiped me out.

Iíve always wanted to ride to Stergis, but have never made it. My uncle did it once from Williamsburg, VA, but he trailered there (that doesnít count) haha.

Whatís your stereo upgrade? What are you riding and what have you done to it so far? Send some pics...

Tony
    19 CVO SG

Prospect
    City
    Pasadena
    State
    Maryland
    Time on the road is rather 'undetermined'. I expect to spend about 10 days to 2 weeks, but depending on how things go with family, I could extend it some. I'm really on no set schedule, other than just wanting to hit the road. I actually lived and worked in Milwaukee for about 3 years in the late '90s. At one point I was living in an apartment on Capital Ave right under the shadow of the old HD plant. I've ridden back there twice; once for the 100th Anniversary, then again a year later to go visit a friend. Haven't been back since '04..... so this will be interesting. Oddly, in all my time there, I've never taken a formal tour of the plant. Likewise, I've been up to York, PA hundreds of times, and never been in that plant either. Growing up in the Detroit area, I'm a product of the auto industry. I spent over 33 years with Chrysler until they and GM filed for bankruptcy in '08. I lost my job as part of that, and rather got screwed, but that another whole story!! Anyway, I've been in so many assembly plants in my life that, as interesting as they are, I never felt the desire to go see the HD plants. If I had, I'd probably never ride a HD again. Kind of like seeing how food gets cooked in some restaurants........lol. Anyway, yup, I'll be riding solo! While it's nice to have company, it gives me options I wouldn't otherwise have.

I mentioned that I took this same trip last year. For that ride I had an '07 Street Glide. I purchased that bike 7 days prior to leaving, rode it for a day as a shake-down, discovered it had split drive belt, then spent 4 days tearing it apart in my driveway in 106 degree weather. Finished it on a Thursday, and left on a Friday. Rode the 3300 miles, got home, and sold the bike 2 days later. I didn't think I'd miss it, but I really did! So, I went looking for another '07, but wanted an ultra classic. I found one, but the guy wanted too much as it was really in bad condition. So, I found an '05 and bought it. Then the guy finally came down to a reasonable price on the '07, so I bought it too. For $3900, I couldn't say no. Anyway, sold the '05, and have been working on the '07 since last fall. I FINALLY got everything worked out except for one thing; the cruise control. After tearing my hair out trying to get it working over the past month, I finally decided to take it to the dealership. While there, I fell in love with a '19 Street Glide......and managed to get $10K on a trade for my '07 Ultra. Again, I couldn't say no. So, I now have the '19 SG, and aside from installing some passing lights, changing the wind screen to a 7" wave style type, and a few little chrome trinkets......it's bone stock. I hope to have a new set of grips arrive today, but other than that, I think I'm going to leave it alone other than wanting to upgrade the audio system. If you've got some suggestions about that, please let me know.

I should mention that I still have my old '01 Fatboy, to which I've done massive work. When I lost my job at Chrysler in '08, I went to work for a local place called Zippers here in Ellicott City. If you're not familiar with them, you may have heard of the Thundermax EFI controller...which was a Zippers Exclusive up until recently. Anyway, while at Zippers I took advantage of all the HD aftermarket performance stuff they sell, and pretty much did it all to my Fatboy; big bore, gear cams, ported heads w/ bigger valves, D&D 2-into-1, Daytona Ignition, Mikuni Flat Slide carb, adjustable push rods, Fueling lifters, hi-flow intake...blah, blah, blah. Bike now puts over 110 HP and 112 Ft lbs of torque to the rear wheel. It's a beast for what it is.... Anyway, I did this at about 8K miles, and now have about 68K miles, and the bike runs as well today as it did when I completed the project. I've ridden it back and forth from here to Michigan about 10 times......which is close to your Arlington to CinCin run. I think you got better scenery.......lol

Anyway, what else? Oh, I too have never done Sturgis. I think I've done Daytona about 40 times, as well as about every other event in the US with the other exception of Las Vegas. I did actually do Las Vegas, but only because I happened to be there for a Chrysler meeting......so I flew in and had a rental car. I'd LOVE to do Sturgis..... maybe next year.....Lord willing. I'm now pushing 68 in a few more months. I hope to get a few more good years in, but I'm now seeing the darkness at the end of the tunnel. I know I can't ride forever, and I know that quitting is just good judgement at some point. Having the good judgement to know when that point is, that's the challenge. I love to ride, but my knees are getting weak from past damage..... and I can't say my attention is all that it should be any more. Oddly, I had my first 'close call' this past weekend where I was changing lanes and failed to see an on-coming car. Obviously, it didn't go badly....but was rather a wake-up call. And, it was a 'first' from my perspective. So, it's got me thinking; how much longer do I push my luck?

Nice getting acquainted Tony.

Tom

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    Let me know how the new 7Ē windscreen does, Iím considering getting a taller one myself. Iím deaf in my left ear and the wind in my right drives me crazy.

Iíd love to see some pics of the new ride and the upcoming road trip, please post some for us to enjoy.

Iíve put new headers, muffler cores, ecm programmer, aux lights and heated suit wiring with the panel switches. Detachable Tour Pack, Kahuna passenger floor boards and just last night - extended reach shift and brake pedals. Other than possibly a taller windscreen, the majors are done.

What are you considering doing to the stereo? Iíd love to replace everything on mine, while keeping the stock head unit - if thatís even possible. The system does. It handle bass well. Whoever designed the crossover was an idiot.

I find factoryís fascinating. Iíve been to multiple breweries, Pepsi, jack daniels, corvette (that was super cool), Ford F150s, but would love a Harley tour sometime...

Tony
    19 CVO SG

City
    Aldie
    State
    Arizona
    We should schedule a ride, say hi in person and grab one of their free hotdogs (if theyíre still doing that) at the Harley dealer in Frederick, when you get back from your trip.

Tony
    19 CVO SG