Dunlop American Elite tires

bigsixman

Nov 1, 2015
I am looking at replacing my tires on my 2009 FLHX Street Glide and my local indy mechanic has mentioned that I may want to look at replacing the stock HD Dunlops with Dunlop American Elites. He can get either tire, but he said that he has had excellent results with the American Elites.

Do any of you have any first hand experience with the Dunlop American Elite tire on your Harley? I would appreciate any input from you.

We are leaving for a bike trip to WI and upper MI in two weeks and I would like new tires for the trip.

Thanks in advance.

Had them on my 13 SG and loved them. Got great wear and they handled great as well solo around home or 2 up with my tour pak on and running the Dragon.

I had them on my '12 Roadglide, I liked them so much I now have them on my '14 Streetglide.

American Elite Mileage Report ??

American Elite Mileage Report ??

I had them on my '12 Roadglide, I liked them so much I now have them on my '14 Streetglide.

I just hung American Elites on my wife's ST Deluxe. Switching from 402's. She rides a lot and I keep backups mounted
on spare wheels for quick change out.

So anybody have any mileage reports available for them being run on their SG's ? or any unusual wear ? I know Commander II's are
getting pretty decent mileage but I really wanna try the AE's on my SGS first. Thanks++

The American elite is the same tire as stock just a different tread pattern.

Stock tires on a street glide from 09-present are 408 on front and 407 on rear. These are the multi-tread .

Stock tires on a street glide from 09-present are 408 on front and 407 on rear. These are the multi-tread .

I forgot the discussion was about Street Glides, not softails, sorry.

Then is the other difference that 407/408's are HD Dealer items & AE's are Independent dealer items ?

I dont want to hijack the thread. But just a quick question. I have had street bikes most of my riding life. I got anywhere from 5-8K miles on those tires. How many can I expect on the SGS? Do the front and rear usually go at the same time?

My factory Dunlop rear wore out baby ass smooth @ 10k miles. I was seriously disappointed. Considered going to Michelins or Metzelers. I don't like mismatching tread patterns and the front was in excellent condition. Dealer talked me into trying the Dunlop 407T compounded tire and I'm glad he did. I have almost 13k miles on it and probably have 5k worth of tread left.

The original front is still looking good with 5/32" of tread on it yet. I do pull a 350 pound trailer about 1/4 of the time and do a lot of riding on twisty mountain roads.

I normally go through one front for every two rears.

Last edited:
I forgot the discussion was about Street Glides, not softails, sorry.

Then is the other difference that 407/408's are HD Dealer items & AE's are Independent dealer items ?

That is correct 407/408 can only be bought through a HD dealership

I pulled the trigger on a new set of American Elites. I only have about 5-6 miles on them so it is a little early to post about my thoughts about them. I will respond when I have some miles on them.

I appreciate everyone who responded to the thread.

Just replaced my stock tire,(15) SGS. I have 18,000 miles on it, and would say there was probably another 1500 miles I could've got out of it. But we can't ride in the winter, and I didn't want to chance a flat when we go to Daytona in Feb. My tire guy says, he changes out about 60-70 of these a year, and the Donlop replacements don't last as long. Only about 10,000 miles average on the Am. Elites. I hope he's wrong, cause that's what I put on mine!
1 note; The stock tire which is the 407 has 6 plies. The Am. Elites only have 5

I love the American Elite's. Was a fanboy of Metzler ME880's for years because they seemed to last the longest and wear evenly. Switched to the Elites last year on a buddies recommendation and won't look back. Great tire, little sticker than the Metzler but surprisingly didn't wear out any faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an "old geezer" I'm not too hard on tires and have found the Dunlops to be sticky and lasting. And as I understand it, they're American made.

What's the average mileage out of OEM tires on our SG's? I am at 75?? miles and it doesn't look anywhere near needing a tire, not even half way! Should it last over 10k or more? I ride hard but don't do any burn outs, corner hard, brake hard sometimes landed in the middle of the traffic lights....sliding...with the bike.....LOL!!!!

It all depends on your acceleration habits. I suspect with the added torque in the new M8, longevity will go down as people explore their "lead foot". lol
On my 2014, I changed them at 16K+ and they still had lots of rubber left. I took advantage of a slow day after Thanksgiving dealer offer for free labor, 10% off plus a $30 gift card or I would not have changed them then! Personally, I have had excellent results with the OEM Dunlops.:cool:

With the stock tire I average 13,500 so far but put an Elite on the rear the last change and the front still has a way to go.

I love the American Elite's. Was a fanboy of Metzler ME880's for years because they seemed to last the longest and wear evenly. Switched to the Elites last year on a buddies recommendation and won't look back. Great tire, little sticker than the Metzler but surprisingly didn't wear out any faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likewise, I went from the ME880's to the ME888's. Metzeler didnt have 19" front tires for my bike. So I got the American Elites. After a few thousand miles, found out these tires are great. I will stick with these front and back.

I just changed my rear tire , 14 SG right at 15K , I put an American Elite on. I know a guy who has 18K on his AE 2012 SG .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta