Electrical problem

Skooba40

Jul 1, 2020
Update. Sorry this is so long. I wanted to get as much info Ok. Need some help.
I have limited info.
My wife just called, her 17 SGS the dash went completely out while riding. No radio, gauges, turn signals nothing. This problem was intermittent.
When I got home it was ok. The indicator lights were blinking fast.
The bike started fine. Then the indicators went back to normal. Then I went to test ride it. It started then died 30 seconds. Then all dash light and radio started to flash. Turned it off and the red light flashed in reverse. And the indicators blinked when the red light blinked off. Battery wirh bike off 12.3. Turn on drops to 7.
Thinking bad battery. . So I will pull the battery for her to take to the dealer and bench test it. If needed she will get e new one. Bike is 3 years old July.

My bike has the same issue, Harley can't seem to figure it out. I am going try to replace my regulator. I am not sure what to do.

If you still have old battery installed remove the seat and put a voltage meter across the battery terminals and set it to dc volts start bike and see what voltage you are getting it should be between 13.8 and 14.2 bolts if so this tells you the charging system is working fine. If your battery voltage is in the 13 to 12 bolts then either your stator or rectifier is bad. Also check your ground cable. Remove bolt clean mount area and ground terminal connector and mounting bolt. Let us know what you find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta