Loading in Pickup Bed

bnbutler

Dec 17, 2016
I'm looking for suggestions on loading my 2016 StreetGlide into my 2012 F-150. Problem is the 5.5 foot bed. I definitely don't want the rear tire resting on the tailgate.
Wondering if anyone has experience with this and some tips. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the least of your concerns. Taking an almost 1,000 pound, top heavy bike up a steep little ramp will be a butt pucker event each and every time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Two normal sized guys and one case of beer sitting on a tailgate is pushing 500 lbs Which is more than the total weight on the rear wheel of your 850 lb Harley so I don't think weight is an issue. You could slide in a 3/4" chunk of plywood to distribute the load.
Back your truck up to and incline or loading dock and push it on. DO NOT attempt to ride it in. As Hulk pointed out, watch some YouTube fails first. Knowing what not to do goes a long way toward knowing what to do.

Two normal sized guys and one case of beer sitting on a tailgate is pushing 500 lbs Which is more than the total weight on the rear wheel of your 850 lb Harley so I don't think weight is an issue. You could slide in a 3/4" chunk of plywood to distribute the load.
Back your truck up to and incline or loading dock and push it on. DO NOT attempt to ride it in. As Hulk pointed out, watch some YouTube fails first. Knowing what not to do goes a long way toward knowing what to do.

Oh ya. I've seen some videos. Lol
I was looking at the LoadAll system. Pretty sweet but also pricey when it would only be used 1-2 times per year.
Yes I'd use a loading dock or a ditch with 2 ramps. One for the bike and one for me so I can utilize and feather the clutch. It's doable just the load distribute the weight. I'd also add metal brackets vs my tailgate cables.
Was just wondering if anyone had already done it successfully with tips and tricks

Oh ya. I've seen some videos. Lol
I was looking at the LoadAll system. Pretty sweet but also pricey when it would only be used 1-2 times per year.
Yes I'd use a loading dock or a ditch with 2 ramps. One for the bike and one for me so I can utilize and feather the clutch. It's doable just the load distribute the weight. I'd also add metal brackets vs my tailgate cables.
Was just wondering if anyone had already done it successfully with tips and tricks

https://loadall.com/products/v3-short-bed-loading-ramp

I bought a 5'x10' utility trailer for $400. Lot cheaper than having a mistake loading or unloading from truck. Plus you can use for other thing. Good luck.

I bought a 5'x10' utility trailer for $400. Lot cheaper than having a mistake loading or unloading from truck. Plus you can use for other thing. Good luck.

Thanks. Ive got a trailer, just didn't want to deal with storing it for 2 weeks when I get where I'm going

Thanks. Ive got a trailer, just didn't want to deal with storing it for 2 weeks when I get where I'm going

I've done that several times without issue. Leave truck/trailer at hotel a few days.
HD Dealer may let you store it there longer

I you can't find a koading dock...the local harley dealer or other bike shop should have a ramp you can use....they have always been kind enough to me.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Basically what he said. Cut plywood to fit under the wheels from front to the end of your tailgate. There will be no issue. I load mine all of the time with a wide ATV aluminum ramp but with the least incline possible and a jack stand in the center. I prefer a loading ramp. Most Bike shops have one and will let you load and unload from there just call and ask till you find one at your destination.

On the plywood, I would put 2 holes, 1 on each side and put a tie-down from the hole (about the void between the tailgate hinge) to the lower rear hooks of the bed. you don't want the plywood acting like a 900 pound roller slide!!!

I have a set of ramps that foldout to about 9ft long and there are three sections that attach together. So it’s like an aluminum driveway on the back of my pickup. I can ride it up into the truck easily and safely. And then backing it out is simple too. I paid $250 on Craigslist a couple years ago. I will try and post a pic that is similar to mine sinc I don’t have pics of mine.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...VH719iTH40wpBVFEUrR46Ys1V0D0OXQ,sgro:iv,mvi:0

For about 4-5 years I’ve been looking at the Cruiser Caddie. Www.cruisercaddie.com
The only reason I haven’t tried it yet is the price. I believe it was in the $2,600 range.

For about 4-5 years I’ve been looking at the Cruiser Caddie. Www.cruisercaddie.com
The only reason I haven’t tried it yet is the price. I believe it was in the $2,600 range.

Okay, I placed my order today. Hope to pick it up this or next weekend. I’ll let you know if I love it or not

Uhaul will rent you a trailer for bikes and you can just drop the trailer off then pick up another on your way home...less expensive and much less headaches.

Try grabbing a used HD pallet at an HD dealer, they are normally free and stacked high out back.
They make the perfect starting point to hauling in the bed of a truck.
Then find a fork lift locally and your good to go.

Most fork lift operators won't hesitate to help another american load a sweet bike.
Toss him a $20 for after work happy hour and let him know you'll stop back when you need a minute of help again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brandon1165