Looking for some thoughts

Jimbo670

Jul 18, 2014
So it turns out my rear tire is starting to cup at 6800 miles!!. It makes noise at 50mph when I lean left. HD said it is the tire. I have the tire warranty and a screw.....

I am not excited about putting the same tire that I had go bad and have read about so many issues with back on the bike. I am thinking of getting the 888 or the commander III's. The issue is I am cheap and the front tire is still good. I could sell it to make up a few bucks. I would also get the tire warranty refunded.

Looking for input and if anyone has had the same or close experience.

Thank you!!

Not sure the tire warranty will cover tire cupping....I have the tire and wheel coverage also and from my memory, they cover road hazard damage. My suggestion....go find a pothole and drive over it at 45 mph....:rolleyes:....in the meantime, check your rear wheel alignment. If the rear wheel is out of alignment, one of the things you may notice is if you let go of the handlebars, if the bike tracks straight, then the rear wheel is aligned.

Seems the stock HD Skidlop tires have a tendency to cup as they near the end of their lifespan, at least mine have done this front and rear. And yes the cupping can make noise when cornering. Some road surfaces are noisier than others under these conditions. I would be surprised if this is a warranty issue.

I know they wont warranty the tire for cupping, the road hazard is another story. Wondering if it would be worth just getting better tires now.

I have finally broke thru my stubborn head from being pro Dunlop and finally gave the Michelin Commander 2's a try and man what a noticeable difference. Never knew tires alone could make such a difference in the ride. The way they track and corner is amazing.

My Dunlop OEM tires became noisy in curves due to cupping and were replaced at 16,500 miles. I agree with El Chapo, the Michelin Commander 2 tires provide excellent handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Dunlop OEM tires became noisy in curves due to cupping and were replaced at 16,500 miles. I agree with El Chapo, the Michelin Commander 2 tires provide excellent handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if this tire softens some of the harshness of the Streetglide's suspension . . . . El Chapo?:confused:

I've had fairly good luck with the Dunlops the bike came with. I got just over 25k miles on the first set and am on my 2nd with about 10k and never had a problem with cupping or noises. The ride seems normal, but then again, I've never rode on anything else to compare it with. Maybe in another 15k miles I'll give the Michelin's a go....

I just replaced my rear Dunlop with a new Dunlop from HD due to wear at 13,000. I didn't notice and cupping or road nose. I'm not the original owner so I don't know how it was treated earlier in life and hope to get more miles out of this one.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I just replaced my OEM Dunlop rear and the sidewall was so stiff that they had to take a cut-off wheel and cut the sidewall to get it off the rim! I went with the American Elite, supposedly the same tire??? I know it was a lot cheaper. Seems like I heard that the American Elite has 1 less ply in the sidewall??? Can't comment on the ride as I only have about 250 miles on it so far.

Tires are very subjective, and I haven't tried enough to find which one I like the most. I've got 10k on my American elites and they are a huge improvement over the stock tires both in wet and dry grip plus they handle cracks and seams in the road much better (aka they don't get stuck in a crack and jerk the bike around like the stock ones did). They create a little noise in corners, but it doesn't sound or look like cupping but instead more of a hum. Only noticeable on easy long curves with the radio off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tulsa