Navigation and Charging System Issues

DebbieW

May 17, 2016
This will be a long post so apologize in advance.

I am curious if anyone has had any of the following issues. I bought my 2019 Street Glide in February (leftover) and it only has about 4,100 miles on it so far.

I was in West Virginia and it seems my GPS can't calculate a route that is over 200 miles whether it's one that I imported or an address that is put in for directions. The other Harley's on the trip had no issue with the files that I uploaded for them into their navigation so I know the files weren't corrupted. Went to the dealer and they said they need to update the firmware. Mine was very out of date even though I did update it before the trip. It was updated and then tried it out. Same problem. What happens is normally it calculates a route and then you have "go" and you click on that and off you go. Mine says "failed" if the route is more than 200 miles. No issue with routes under 200 miles. Was told that is the strangest thing they ever saw and never heard of that happening to anyone. Was going to contact Harley Corporate (back on July 29) and try to figure out the issue. The dealer never contacted corporate and finally they did last week and was told they need to run diagnostics (was supposed to be done on August 22) and most likely they would have to replace the unit.

I was on a ride on August 21 and all of a sudden the bike starts smoking so I had to pull over. I was an hour away from home. Got it towed to the dealer and they check it out and tell me I need a charging system since there was a short due to excessive heat. My 2016 never had this issue and I personally think that is crap. It was not so hot on Friday. And if that is caused by heat, then it should have happened in West Virginia since it was super hot and we rode 9 days straight in 92F - 97F temperatures. Real feel was higher. Both the stator and the regulator need to be replaced since they are now damaged. They do not have them in stock since they said a lot of bikes have had this issue recently. And they claim this is causing the GPS issues, which I don't accept since that wouldn't cause such a specific issue, in my opinion. So the fight will continue as far as the GPS and now I have to wait for the parts to come in so that I can get the bike back and test out the GPS.

I also discovered on my trip that the fork lock wouldn't lock. Key for saddle bags should also work on fork lock. Seems they keyed the fork lock key incorrectly so they had to order a new one to work for the key I have. Was supposed to be installed this past Saturday (took a while to get it in) but no one can confirm they did it. I will check when I get back the bike.

I feel like my bike is cursed. I really miss my 2016 Street Glide. I bought this one for the better motor and additional power but now think I should have just stuck with the one I know worked.

Navigation and Charging System Issues

I’m assuming your bike is under warranty. I would first contact your dealer and then you Harley rep. I have never heard of these things happening before especially all of them at once.
If they keep happening most states do have a lemon law. But contact the Harley rep first. Good luck. Let us know.

I’m assuming your bike is under warranty. I would first contact your dealer and then you Harley rep. I have never heard of these things happening before especially all of them at once.
If they keep happening most states do have a lemon law. But contact the Harley rep first. Good luck. Let us know.
Thanks. Dealer is aware and the bike is there and they have been less than helpful. I am looking into the lemon law today in my state. I am so frustrated. I have to contact Harley corporate too.

I’ve never really heard of these issues before. Maybe some of the tech guys can chip in and provide you with more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve never really heard of these issues before. Maybe some of the tech guys can chip in and provide you with more information.

I got the bike back today. They were able to get the parts from another dealer and stator and regulator have been replaced. They still said they have no idea what caused the short and they think it was from excessive heat. I still find that odd but I am note knowledgeable in this area.

I live in Mississippi and have never heard of excessive heat either and are usually around 110 in the summer [emoji40]

I think they do not know what caused it so came up with something. When I picked it up, the service manager said he really has no idea why it shorted out but normally it's from excessive heat. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. If it does, they need to figure it out.

I think they do not know what caused it so came up with something. When I picked it up, the service manager said he really has no idea why it shorted out but normally it's from excessive heat. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. If it does, they need to figure it out.

Yes, I agree!

It's not unheard of for a stator to short due to a tiny flaw in the varnish insulation on the magnet wire.

stator.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tulsa