New forum member. Need some guidance on heat

Alanjames

Aug 28, 2021
Hey guys. I got a 2015 SGS back in the spring. Rides like a dream compared to my 82 Shovel. I am concerned about how hot the engine gets. I just received my mighty mite order and will be installing this week. Maybe they will be enough to handle the heat down here in SC. I have also been looking for other assistance to battle the heat. I have looked at every oil cooler (fan assisted) known to man. I am also considering an FP3 mainly for richening up the fuel a little as well as having a visual readout of the ET. I have no intention of doing any performance mods so a tuner really seems to be overreaching a bit. Is my best bet just to shoot for adding the fan assisted oil cooler and not mess with a tuner?

Ps someone also mentioned that they installed a little standalone temp gauge mounted to the dash to measure the ET. The one mentioned was a Trail Tech #742-ET2. The sensor goes under the rear spark plug. Has anyone tried one of these? Looks to me like it would be a tight fit getting this sensor on the plug and down into the cylinder head.

New forum member. Need some guidance on heat

Also if you replace the pipes, rather than running the stock pipes it will run a little cooler.

If you do a tuner it would be good to swap the pipes out too.

Hi Alan. Welcome to the forum. I had Love Jugs on my 2011 Heritage Softail. They worked great. I also had an FP3 tuner and was very pleased with its performance. I agree with BillyBob's recommendation about changing out the pipes since you're considering a tuner. Since you are considering a V&H FP3 might as well talk to the folks at FuelMoto and let them know what you're looking to do. I would also look at an upgraded AC (Air Cleaner) as well. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do.

The bike already has RC exhaust on it. I don’t reallly want to make changes for performance. Honestly I like to keep it as close to stock as possible to but to insure I have the heat issues worked out.

Well the love jugs mighty mites got installed without hitch. Now I’ll have to see if that solves my heat issues. Hope to not hear any EIMTS

Let us know what you find out with regards to the cooling effect of your mighty mites.

Hello, I have a 2014 SGS
Back middle of 2020 I posted a similar thread by the title of “This puppy gets hot”
It baked my leg (mostly right side) enough I bought a heat shield for my leg and wore it every time I rode.
Then I posted the above and I got a number of suggestion and have done a lot of searching, well.
This is what I did:
Love Jugs the Cool-Master set
UltraCool -Oil Cooler Dual Fan Assisted Mounted Below Regulator
Mid-Frame Air Deflectors
and I run Amsoil for my oil
This all helped to bring it down to a much more manageable level and I no longer need to wear the heat shield on my leg Just below the knee, though my wife has elected to wear it.
I did all this back in 2020 BUT I have an update to something I just did two weeks ago and it had nothing to do with cooling, it was actually under the guise of wind deflection
I installed
a Lower Triple Tree Wind Deflector
Front Fork Mount Wind Deflectors or "Fork Fangs"
And an Adjustable Air Deflectors Side Wings for the Fairing - Yes, this does nothing for engine cooling

These worked GREAT for stopping the wind tunnel coming up between the triple tree and the tank blasting me in the face BUT to our surprise they redirected all that wind to the motor and it ran noticeable cooler as in my Cool Master LED that tells me the oil cooler fans are on stay off significantly longer and turned back off (oil cooler fans turned off) when cursing down the freeway. this was not normal in 85+ degrees weather
NOTE: Nothing short of it being turned OFF will keep these air cooled big V-Twins COOL but all that DEFINITELY make a big difference.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: binarym
Thanks guys for all the advice. The mighty mites I installed a few weeks ago are doing a nice job. I just leave them on all the time. After doing much research, I think what I am going to do when spring gets here is just install a FP3. This will give me the ability to load a map that is less lean than the OEM map. That should help with engine temps some. Plus the tuner will give me opportunities for any down the road mods. The other features that is nice is having the FP3 software on my phone to see what engine temps are doing. I actually have an old iPhone that I might could use as a stand-alone monitor for the FP3 info. I think it would work. It doesn't have a SIM card in it but if I download the FP3 app to it over WiFi, it should work just fine as a Bluetooth connection to the bike. anyone tried this?

Reactions: binarym
I did mid frame deflectors & FP3 on my 16 SGs - biggest help was the Fuel Moto ceramic lined headers which eliminate the cats. I've ridden at a crawl in traffic at close to 100 degrees &i t was tolerable. That being said I'm in the northeast

The FP3 will not reduce your engine temps much at all. Do not buy a tuner for that reason.
Put in 15W-60, or 20W-60 weight oil and don't worry about the temps.

Thanks guys for all the advice. The mighty mites I installed a few weeks ago are doing a nice job. I just leave them on all the time. After doing much research, I think what I am going to do when spring gets here is just install a FP3. This will give me the ability to load a map that is less lean than the OEM map. That should help with engine temps some. Plus the tuner will give me opportunities for any down the road mods. The other features that is nice is having the FP3 software on my phone to see what engine temps are doing. I actually have an old iPhone that I might could use as a stand-alone monitor for the FP3 info. I think it would work. It doesn't have a SIM card in it but if I download the FP3 app to it over WiFi, it should work just fine as a Bluetooth connection to the bike. anyone tried this?

The FP3 is a decent tuner, but like others have said not so sure it will help with cooling. It is good for a display on how hot the temperatures are though. You can actually do a test and run the bike with and without the Love Jugs running and see first hand how good of a job the Love Jugs do.

Oil temp is what's most important. 50W oil as recommended by HD drops to a viscosity of 10 Centistokes at about 260 F.
I would consider that the maximum safe temp for 50W or 20W-50. If you are getting hotter than that, go to 60W.

If you have a street Glide special you can read your ET temperature by pressing the info on your right handle bar controls. It gives you the temperature from sensor located at the rear of the front cylinder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta