Replacing Stock Tires?

LiveToGlide

Aug 19, 2014
I put my bike in storage for the winter with about 11K miles and thinking I'm getting close to having to replace tire(s). This is my first road bike so I'm wondering if the stock tires are good or is their better options. I have no plans of changing wheels. I know there are lots of factors that effect tire life but what is a rough guess on how many miles you can expect to get on a set of tires?

Thanks!!

just noticed there is a tire section. I will read thru those threads. Is there a way to delete a thread that you start?

I think the mods have the power, but I think you just have to let it die on its own.... You'll find a good bit in the tire section.
Make your decision by visually inspecting your tires. Some members on here have had vastly different numbers on tire wear life.

I just bought a set of Avon Cobra tires. You need an 18" front wheel though. Lot's of take-off front wheels around from 2013 and older Street Glides. They come with a 15000 mile warranty. 130/70B18, 180/65B16

Cobra Tyres

I'm sticking with the dunlops. Good deal at motorcycle superstore

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just re tired with factory Dunlops. My OEM's lasted a long time and still had some to go but I got a great deal on the tires, free mounting and a $50 gift card to boot!

I just re tired also with the factory Dunlop. I got about 21k out of it. I woulda went aftermarket but I don't think I would have gotten the same range. Problem is, that factory HD dunlop is only sold at dealerships, and it runs $300 for the rear, plus the $100 for labor....smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just re tired also with the factory Dunlop. I got about 21k out of it. I woulda went aftermarket but I don't think I would have gotten the same range. Problem is, that factory HD dunlop is only sold at dealerships, and it runs $300 for the rear, plus the $100 for labor....smh

I just got the same oem tire (rear) locally, mounted and balanced for under $300...

Replacing Stock Tires?

I just got the same oem tire (rear) locally, mounted and balanced for under $300...

That's a great price. I went to a dealership in Baldwin Park, Cali.......guess the price varies from place to place. I see you're in Cali too, what dealership, Huntington Beach Harley? I went to Laidlaws. Riverside Harley sucks

Last edited:
I just got dunlops at biker bandit.com for 300.26 front and rear. These are the oem replacement tires

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Metzlers seem to be pretty good. The stock Donlops are very good all in all. I got 23000 on my last one. (front) I got 19000 out of my rear Donlop. FYI The guy @ the shop I go to, told me, I wiil NOT get the same mileage out of the replacement though. So that got me wondering. We looked @ the original that came on the bike new, and looked @ the Donlop Elite. If you read the side wall very carefully, you will notice, the Factory Donlop tire has 1 additional ply. This might be why you get better mileage and probably why it costs more.

I've always replaced with OEM Dunlops and got good miles out of them and no real issues or reasons to switch brands.

The Dunlops are very good tires. I'm using the American Elite version.

So that got me wondering. We looked @ the original that came on the bike new, and looked @ the Donlop Elite. If you read the side wall very carefully, you will notice, the Factory Donlop tire has 1 additional ply. This might be why you get better mileage and probably why it costs more.
Mt 2018 SGS factory tire has 5 ply treads and 3 ply sidewalls. I plan on replacing them , when needed, with Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra which has the exact same plys as the original equipment tires. I used these on my 2016 and got good mileage although I am not sure of the exact mileage as I traded it in on my 2018 with 49,384 miles on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider3223