2018 SGS problems

HD0718

Jul 10, 2019
First time posting here, so hi to everyone, and I greatly appreciate any help.

Problem #1 is the bike is still under warranty, and Harley won't do anything about thie problems. The bike has been to the dealership multiple times, and they verified the problems I list below. The dealer finally told me Harley isn't going to do anything, and I am on my own. I know, hard to believe and doesn't make sense, but 100% true.

Bike has all current updates to infotainment system

2018 Street Glide Special. Still under warranty, and has only been serviced by the dealership. Only engine mods are Vance and Hines Daytona 400 slip ons, and Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner, both installed by dealer.

- My biggest concern is the odometer inaccuracy. It adds approximately 5 miles to every 100 miles travel. So at 12K miles I have an extra 600 miles on the bike. This has been verified by the ride planner in Harleys app, google and other map services, and comparing miles with other riders. Also gave the dealership a video of how the tenths of a mile change erratically. Meaning when traveling at the same speed the 10ths change in 4 seconds, then the next changes is in 10 seconds.

- Multiple issues with the radio. Radio speed volume does not work on any of the 4 levels.
- navigation gives bad info, where to turn, always recalculating, etc.
- trip summary gives bad info. On a 470 mile, 8 hour trip it said I averaged 129 MPH.
- miles remaining reads backwards, instead of the miles decreasing as I travel, it adds miles

No other Harley dealership by me wants to look at the bike after I tell them this story. Since I'm on my own fixing this, and I am not a mechanic, I'm looking for suggestions. From doing my homework I'm pretty sure I need a new radio, and I'm thinking to change the ECM.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to be detailed. Appreciate any thoughts and help.

Last edited:
I would find another dealer without telling them your past history and see if they can figure something out. There are lot's if local shops with Harley certified techs that can also look at it.

Thanks for the reply TomA.

Not telling them my story won't work. My bike VIN # is "Flagged" by Harley. All dealers report to Harley for any warranty issue, and as soon as they run any diagnostics on any bike it records all data, and that data gets uploaded automatically every Tuesday to Harley, whether it's warranty or not. We think Big Brother is watching... Harley has them beat.

I am looking for an independent shop but haven't been able to find one yet that thinks they can help.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I am curious to know why Harley will not fix your problems. Did they give you a reason? Does your state have a lemon law?

Ride safe.

Your next course of action is to call Harley directly and file a claim or get them working on a cure. Make sure if they try to blow you off ask for their supervisor.

Thanks for your reply. The dealer didn’t give me a reason as to why they won’t fix it. I called Harley myself and after 2 weeks of getting a run around they told me I had an after market vances and Hines tuner installed. That’s not correct never did that.

Thanks for the replies and help so far.

Just to add to my post.... I’ve done all I can with dealerships and calling Harley directly. I even have an attorney involved.

What I’m really looking for is help with what I should look into that would correct my problems. Like I said, I’m pretty sure I need a new infotainment system, and that will correct the radio and navigation issues. The Odometer I don’t know. I’m thinking to install a new ECM.

Appreciate it Gentlemen!

Thanks Yegg. I have an attorney involved and he said there should be no problem getting reimbursed for my cost to get the bike fixed. But, I need to Figure out what needs to be fixed and then get it fixed. That’s my real problem right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta