2020 Street Glide Special Handlebar & Fairing Alignment

Michael Walters

Sep 18, 2021
I purchased this bike brand new from Superstition Harley Davidson in 2021. I noticed early on when riding on a straight freeway that the front end seemed to lean right. At first, I thought this was an optical allusion. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the fairing was tweaked to the left and actually rubbed on the clutch hydraulic line. (almost like someone from the factory or the dealer tried compensating for the front end "twist"). I took the bike in under warranty and requested that they properly align every thing up. They aligned the fairing of equal distance on both sides of the handlebars and is no longer rubbing on the clutch hydraulic clutch line. This exasperated the problem as now it REALLY appears that everything leans to the right. The bike does seem to go straight down the road. Harley Davidson Factory Tech told me that sometimes when the forks are "torqued down" at the factory that they will sometimes "twist" and that there was no adjustment available. That this issue is NOT a defect and that that's just "how it is" with some of these bikes. Now I can't seem to "un see" this while riding. Has anyone ever heard of this ? Any constructive input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3262.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3263.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
No this should be fixed. Take it back make sure it is noted why it is being taken back after third look from the dealer with same "explanation" invoke Lemon law. It the refuse to fix, get a lawyer and get a new bike! Don't take their explanation this is not normal!

Its been to the dealer twice for this issue. The Harley Davidson Factory Rep came out to inspect on the 2nd visit. He's the one that told me that "it is what it is" and that there is nothing more that could be done. I did get a "Lemon Lawyer" and I did invoke the "Lemon Law". The stills I posted are taken from my PC by me from a video provided to my Lawyer by Harley Davidson Engineers that also came out to inspect the bike. (That is a Harley Davidson Engineer riding my bike and providing the video). Harley Davidson denied my claim without explanation. (Lemon Lawyers I found so far here in AZ will take your case on a contingency basis - with no money out of pocket from me - because Lemon Laws here in AZ provide for "reasonable attorney fees") UNLESS it goes to a court trial. Then these lawyers want money. Some of these lawyers want a LOT of money. I guess we're going to court. Can anyone recommend a good lawyer with experience suing Harley Davidson ? Thanks for the reply.

This is a link to drop box for the video Harley Davidson Engineers provided to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc60ysdk6501su6/GOPR0291.MP4?dl=0

Last edited:
Yes, that’s just weird! Did you talk a bike exchange at all. It almost looks like the forks
Are twisted or something. Sorry I don’t know of a lawyers. I would see if the dealer would take the bike back for exchange and see what it would cost you for a 21. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Yes, that’s just weird! Did you talk a bike exchange at all. It almost looks like the forks
Are twisted or something. Sorry I don’t know of a lawyers. I would see if the dealer would take the bike back for exchange and see what it would cost you for a 21. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

I believe that the forks ARE actually "twisted". The Factory Rep admitted to me that this actually occurs to some degree or another at the time of assembly when they "torque" the bolts down. The Service Manager told me they are almost all like that. I asked if any bikes are actually level and straight. He said some were. I said I want one of those. I REALLY like the bike and I REALLY like the color. I did consider a "bike exchange". (This is a brand new 2020 in a color they don't make anymore for 2021). I even asked the dealer if the factory ever excepts bikes back to "re-do" the front end. (Because the dealer (at Harley's direction) refused to "rebuild" the front end or perform any further repairs to resolve. The Service Manager said they do not. I'm going to take Harley Davidson to court over this. I was just wanting to see if anyone else out there (since Harley tells me this is so common) has ever seen this issue before and how they eventually resolved it. Thanks for your reply.

I believe that the forks ARE actually "twisted". The Factory Rep admitted to me that this actually occurs to some degree or another at the time of assembly when they "torque" the bolts down. The Service Manager told me they are almost all like that. I asked if any bikes are actually level and straight. He said some were. I said I want one of those. I REALLY like the bike and I REALLY like the color. I did consider a "bike exchange". (This is a brand new 2020 in a color they don't make anymore for 2021). I even asked the dealer if the factory ever excepts bikes back to "re-do" the front end. (Because the dealer (at Harley's direction) refused to "rebuild" the front end or perform any further repairs to resolve. The Service Manager said they do not. I'm going to take Harley Davidson to court over this. I was just wanting to see if anyone else out there (since Harley tells me this is so common) has ever seen this issue before and how they eventually resolved it. Thanks for your reply.

Good luck please keep us posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiefIronHorse