Baggershield 8"-14" adjustable

bugdewde

Jul 4, 2015
2015 SGS no mods except for the mid frame air deflectors.
I'm 5' 9" - 5' 10". More torso than legs (32" inseam).

Anything has got to be better than the stock StreetGlide windshield at interstate speeds........
One good thing about the stock windshield..... it seems to keep me below the legal speed limits on interstate.

Enter Baggershield and this forum.
Advertised 15% discount with free shipping.
Forum members get additional 10% off.

Once I got the additional discount code via this forum, I purchased the 8"-14" windshield on July 6. It arrived on July 9. Awesome!
Very well packaged.

INSTALLATION:
I installed the windshield very quickly. Instructions are clear and concise with illustrations (helpful for those of us that are "challenged".) I must admit, I was a bit scared about flexing the windshield some for the wellnuts holes to align both halves but quickly became comfortable with the flexing. Windshield is quite thick.

---- In the short 8" position, I was immediately impressed with my line of sight over the shield and the tint was just right.
-----In the full 14" position, I was overwhelmed with the height of the windshield. HUGE!!!
I'm not a fan of looking through the windshield, but I bought this knowing it would be like that...... figured it would be helpful on LONG rides or even in the RAIN or COLD.

OK. Road test. ***** I wear eyeglasses. They're lightweight titanium legs with no frames. Speeds in excess of 50 mph with the stock SG shield buffets my glasses horribly. I actually try to wear a spare, heavier pair of glasses when I ride.
-----Short 8" position.
--Start up of the engine.
I immediately noticed the windshield was vibrating against itself. The top of the top half(in stowed position is now at the base of the bottom half and the fairing). I pushed on the shield and it would quit. Tightened the wingnuts with no success in stopping the vibration. I thought I might use some foam weather strip to act as a buffer once I got back from the test ride.
--Out the driveway and on the street.
Wow! Leaps and bounds over the stock SG shield. But really, what wouldn't be?
I quickly realized I was exceeding the posted speed limit of 55 by about 10 mph.
Out on the interstate, I reached outrageous speeds without any hiccups.
My lightweight glasses stayed put without any shaking or blurring. Sweet!
In retrospect of my other 8 or 9 inch windshield on the last two Electraglides I've had, this windshield was probably just like it. With the added benefit of the approximate 10% reduction in buffeting with the fairing vent open. Cool.

------Tall 14" position.
--Man, is that thing tall. Ain't 'nuthin' getting to me behind this monster.
Once again, outrageous speeds were reached on the interstate and cruising at 50-55 mph was easy. No vibration or rattling at all. Nice!

I returned to the short position, and the previous vibration of the two halves against each other was gone. Maybe I just had it cocked a bit off the first time. SWEET!

There's only one drawback that I can think of after my inaugural ride with this unit.
The wingnuts are beefy, and I understand that they should be to prevent breakage if over-tightened. Quality items for sure. But they do stand out. I'm sure I will eventually look past them with time, but for now, they are definitely there.

Pics with my cell phone at approximately my eye level, give or take an inch or two (5' 10" with 32" inseam).
8"
Baggershield 8 inch.jpg

14"
Baggershield 14 inch.jpg

I've never liked the way Harley seals the outer fairing to the inner fairing. With the thicker windshield, I will probably add some additional sealer or gasket to try and seal it up better at the ends of the windshield. There were unacceptable gaps here even with the stock one.

http://www.baggershield.com/

Last edited:
Nice thanks for the review and being honest with your opinion of this product.

I don't know if the '16 fairings are different. Surely, someone would know by now. Give them a call.

A little long-term review on this windshield.

I extended the windshield to the 14" height for my annual trip to Myrtle Beach Bike Week. Approximately 500 miles each way. I used the extended height in hopes of lessening the wind turbulence and reduce fatique to my neck/shoulders/etc. One of the main reasons for purchasing this windshield. Especially, for the trek up and over the Appalachian Mountains, where I've experienced the coldest I've ever been on a motorcycle ride...... and it was the middle of May. So, I've now learned to prepare for that climb (Now, I cheat by using electric heated gear).
Temperatures were, surprisingly, not cold that morning, around 55 degrees. So I didn't bundle up with my full, normal gear. Long sleeve ventilated jersey and denim jacket..... until I get to the mountains.

One slight hitch when extending the windshield:
When I unscrewed the secondary windshield from the primary shield, it gave me some difficulty releasing the rubber grommet/bushing in the primary windshield. It had been compressed since install (10 months), so the grommet/bushing was a bit fatter than normal. Just had to wiggle and work it out of the hole a little bit.
My bad.....I shouldn't keep the nuts torqued down real tight when in the short position all winter.

Windshield performed flawlessly for the trip over.
I do not like looking through a windshield, but I got used to it real quick, taking in all the reduced wind to my helmet/visor and added warmth. Not to mention the bug/debris protection.
Good thing this shield is convertible to short and tall heights. Oncet there, I converted it back to short height and cruised fine and dandy.
Extended it up for the return trip of 500 miles.

I used the heated gear for the mountain ascent and decent. All was good.

The return trip was hampered by continuous rain. Practically from the time we left to the time we arrived back home. Heading home that morning, I was grateful for the extended windshield for added protection from the rain. Hey, that's another reason why I bought it!!!
Boy, did it protect me from the rain. Two Thumbs Up!

I have one slight complaint for this windshield, and one slight complaint only, in the 1000 miles that I used the extended height.
The rain did NOT bead up and roll off the windshield very well. It sort of stayed on the upper/extended section. Certain times, I had to peer around the windshield to get a good view of the road lines in low light conditions. But I'll take that one drawback over all the benefits it provided. I never had to get out of the slipstream, just the edge to allow my fullface helmet to catch some air and shed the water off of it (full face).

Here's my take on this.
The primary windshield mounts normally. The secondary/extended windshield mounts behind the primary shield. I think this causes the low pressure area over the face of the extended/secondary shield and keeps the wind from blowing the rain off the secondary shield.

This pic shows simulated airflow over the shield. The gap between the two shields may cause a low pressure area that won't push the water off/over the shield.
gap side.jpg

gap.jpg

I would try reversing the arrangement, by putting the extension in front of the primary shield to alleviate that problem, but I'm concerned rain would slip up the primary shield and get behind the extension shield. Maybe a little foam rubber gasket to seal the two halves together when extended?
We were traveling in a group and I didn't want to stop and fiddle with it at the inconvenience of the others in the group.

I'm going to contact BaggerShield to see if there is a product like Rain-X or something that might help this issue out.

Overview:
As I rarely ride in the rain, purposefully....... I would think the benefits of having a larger/taller windshield for colder times, reduced fatigue and increased protection, far outweight the slight drawback of rain beads sitting on the windshield.
A Big Thumbs up for BaggerShield.

Edit: Post script.
My initial concern over the size of the wing nuts in my first post is not an issue. I don't even notice them anymore.

Last edited:
It's a great product. Not that I use the extended version often..... only once since install..... it's great to have when needed. One stop shopping. Like having your cake and eating it, too.
8" is great for around town and the 14" is great for touring or inclement weather.

I have a buddy that has one and he cut his extended version down so he can still look over it. Sort of defeats the purpose but he likes it.

2017 Bike Week update:
Almost 500 miles to Myrtle Beach bike week on Sunday. Put the windshield in the highest position for wind blocking on the long-haul.
Admittedly, I rarely use the extended position unless it's raining. However, this trip I was riding without my group and I wanted to ensure my normally fast, solo rate wouldn't tire me out too quickly.

Wow!!!! What a great ride!

Coupled with the new Daytona lightweight 1/2 helmet, I didn't have any of the normal aches and pains the whole trip. 7 hours.

The later departure time meant I would be arriving around 9 or 10 pm. .... south carolina.... the large shield was covered in bugs and guts... saving my forehead and face.
A+++++++

Great review and info, I like the tinted bottom, Its a little taller than stock does it effect riding at night.

Yes, It is very dark.. I ordered dark. I thought it would look "cool" on the white bike. I look over it so it only comes into play on a couple situations:
-- When I'm parking in the dark garage. Can't really see up close floor obstacles in my "cluttered" garage.
-- Occasionally, on longer hauls, I ride "cafe racer"..... I tuck behind it with my feet on the passenger pegs and an elbow on the tank and my chin cupped in my hand. It's very, very comfortable for me (back issues) in that position. If it's dark out, it reduces my vision somewhat..... but i can easily see vehicle tail lights & road reflectors. Probably won't see "critters" on the sides of the road up in the distance.
......... The comfort this position provides for me outweighs my reduced vision concerns.
Clear base might be a better choice. Hindsight is 20/20. Lol.
But I like the tinted base.

Yes, It is very dark.. I ordered dark. I thought it would look "cool" on the white bike. I look over it so it only comes into play on a couple situations:
-- When I'm parking in the dark garage. Can't really see up close floor obstacles in my "cluttered" garage.
-- Occasionally, on longer hauls, I ride "cafe racer"..... I tuck behind it with my feet on the passenger pegs and an elbow on the tank and my chin cupped in my hand. It's very, very comfortable for me (back issues) in that position. If it's dark out, it reduces my vision somewhat..... but i can easily see vehicle tail lights & road reflectors. Probably won't see "critters" on the sides of the road up in the distance.
......... The comfort this position provides for me outweighs my reduced vision concerns.
Clear base might be a better choice. Hindsight is 20/20. Lol.
But I like the tinted base.
Thanks for the info, Yea the Tint looks cool, This is the first bike that I can't see the front wheel on. Its taken some getting use to. I really like the looks of my stock shield a lot, It goes good with the Denim black. Makes it hard for me to pull the trigger on another style windshield . Riding with out the head bobble effect would take away from the experience.. he he. I like the looks of the Baggershield .

Last edited:
2022 Update...... I LOVE this windshield. I've owned it for 7 years. It is amazing.

One more additional benefit I didn't mention 7 years ago.... My passenger loves the extended/taller shield.
While the 8" perfectly slips the airstream over my helmet, it hits her right in the visor/face. Lol.
In the extended 14" position, the air slips right over her head, too. Perfect!

My rubber grommets are still mushroomed out .... preventing the fast and easy conversion like in the video. No problem, I simply unscrew all 3 knobs completely off, flip the shield and screw them back on. Takes a whole minute .... Im good with it.

Upcoming annual ride to MB in a couple weeks. Another 1000 miles in the extended position coming up. Love it.

Obviously, the merits of the 14" position in the rain is clearly a win.

Attachments

• photo13535.jpg
    photo13535.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: BillyBob
Shield is a full 3/16" thick .... very solid/beefy. 7 years and no cracks like the H.D. shield in BillyBob's video.

Attachments

• photo13536.jpg
    photo13536.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo13537.jpg
    photo13537.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
Myrtle Beach 2022 .... 480 miles. 4 or 5 rain showers but not enough to pull over and don rain gear.
The Baggershield 8"/14" was AWESOME, again.
7 years of ownership.

Attachments

• photo13538.jpg
    photo13538.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo13539.jpg
    photo13539.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo13540.jpg
    photo13540.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2
You should never be looking through a motorcycle windshield the height of the windshield should be nose height. Most dangerous is when you are riding in the rain as the windshield does not have a large enough radius curve to allow the rain to run off. I use a klock works windshield that has a curve at the top of it that throws the wind over the riders head. When I do long rides I wear a full face modular helmet this slows the rain to run off the windshield and does not obstruct my view. My two cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77