Basic Bar Info

Keith203

May 23, 2017
I'm looking to replace my OEM factory bars on my 2021 SG standard. Can someone educate and break down some basic info about bars for me? For example, if I go with 10" or 12", do I need pre-wired bars (advantage/disadvantage), risers, bushings, and etc. I will not be doing the install myself, I'll let the dealership do it. There's just so many different manufacturers of bars that I'm not really sure where to start here. Price is not the issue. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, so I want quality stuff. I've been looking over YouTube videos for guidance too. Of course, I'm not wanting to do this job twice. I've looked over my measurements and think it will be 10" or 12", I'm about 5ft 6", just not sure about the mirror options yet and which way I want to go. I thought about adding heated grips as well, since it will already be apart, so will that make any difference? Any additional info I'm missing out on here please let me know. The bike still has one more year of warranty left. Thanks!!!

10 inch bars will keep your knuckles even or slightly above the top of fairing. You will have to go with handlebar mounted mirrors as your arms will block your mirror view at stock location. Definitely install polyurethane riser bushings. You should have enough slack in front brake line as front brake line actually goes to abs module and from there another line goes to junction that mounts under lower triple tree and from there two lines go to front brake calipers. Your clutch cable might need extension. But you only have to replace the portion of cable that goes from clutch lever to adjuster as the cable is two separate parts attached at adjuster. Harley has wire extensions that are plug and play. The type of bars are subjective as everyone has their own preference

Thanks Frenchie for the reply and information. I'll take note of everything you mentioned here.

Keith203

I'm looking to replace my OEM factory bars on my 2021 SG standard. Can someone educate and break down some basic info about bars for me? For example, if I go with 10" or 12", do I need pre-wired bars (advantage/disadvantage), risers, bushings, and etc. I will not be doing the install myself, I'll let the dealership do it. There's just so many different manufacturers of bars that I'm not really sure where to start here. Price is not the issue. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, so I want quality stuff. I've been looking over YouTube videos for guidance too. Of course, I'm not wanting to do this job twice. I've looked over my measurements and think it will be 10" or 12", I'm about 5ft 6", just not sure about the mirror options yet and which way I want to go. I thought about adding heated grips as well, since it will already be apart, so will that make any difference? Any additional info I'm missing out on here please let me know. The bike still has one more year of warranty left. Thanks!!!
I have a 2017 SG and put 12" bars on mine without having to purchase new cables. I just had to move the cables around under the Faring a little. No riser needed. I don't have heated grips. I removed the stock mirrors and Put on some other mirrors. With higher bars your arms might block the mirrors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77