Control issues after bar install

Erichtrep11

Jun 3, 2022
New user, new to Harley…

just got my first Harley. 2006 street glide.

just replaced bars, new grips, controls, cables, levers, head unit, fairing speakers, added amp, saddle bag speakers, new exhaust, air cleaner, dynojet tuner, headlight, tail light, front/rear blinkers.

install went well on everything, and everything worked amazing.

aftwr about 200 miles, I noticed the volume of radio would slowly go down and my cruise was being finicky. Another 100 miles after that my volume is always going down, like the control is stuck down and my cruise doesn’t work at all.

All other controls seem to work… horn, ignition, blinkers, headlamp.

the bars are 14” jarhead from Hill Country Custom Cycles. They were pre wired and pre installed with all new controls and grips…

thoughts?

Are your cruise and volume on the same side? If so, it sounds as if the switch pack is going bad.

I'd open the switch packs up and see if the connectors are firmly seated in their sockets and the wiring pins are in the sockets properly.

On 2006 street glide you are throttle cable controlled for cruise control check the electrical connections under fuel tank that connect to throttle cable and ensure that the connectors are seated firmly and did not get disturbed when tank was installed. For radio volume issue remove switch housing on handle bars and disconnect wiring at plug where it exits handlebars in fairing get an ohm meter and ping each wire at connector and where it connects to volume control to ensure wires have continuity if this checks good you know you have no breaks in wires, then check for shorts to ground. If this shows no shorts then you could have a defective switch pack for volume control. Let us know what you find

Reactions: BillyBob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77