ECU Reflash?

Grubster

Feb 20, 2018
I just bought myself a a 2016 Street Glide with 6000 km's on the clock. Its a beaut, but it still has the standard mufflers.
Looks the goods but it sounds like a postie bike. I am keen on fitting it with Vance and Hines slip on mufflers to make it sound like a Harley.
My question, if I retain the original air cleaner for the time being, do I need to tune or reflash the ECU?
I will eventually change the air cleaner over to a Screamin' Eagle hi flow, I know then I will have to do the reflash. But for the time being, can I safely change the mufflers to V&H and not worry about the tuning?

Some pipes require remapping, just depends. Check with Vance & Hines and see if the model you’re purchasing requires it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say changing mufflers has more affect on air flow than changing the air cleaner on your bike, get a tuner.

I generally agree with OldMike but I have a different opinion on this.
The exhaust pipes and mufflers allow the engine to expel gases with more or less back pressure depending on the amount of restriction. This action happens after engine combustion so it is mostly affected by the limitations of the cam shaft (which you are not changing) to release spent gasses into the exhaust system.
If the intake and camshaft are not changed the amount of air the engine receives has not changed and the so the ECM programming does not have to change. The stock ECM does have the ability to adjust a certain percentage to small changes.
I support the common belief that changing to free flowing mufflers while maintaining stock HD head pipes does not require any modification to the ECM

I have an '18 SG with SE street cannon slip ons and want to add the K&N free flow filter into the stock air box. I have been told I need a tuner in which to flash the ECM. I thought the dealer could flash the ECM without me shelling out another three HD's on the tuner?

Fitted the Vance and Hines twin slash rounds and then went for a 50 kilometre ride. Bike performs better, but it's running noticeably hotter. A couple of decel pops but not too bad.
I think it's generating too much heat, so I am now going to use the Fuelpak FP3 to reflash the ECU. Once I've done that I'll see if that brings the heat down (it is summer here in Oz and it was around 26 degrees C yesterday).

This will always be a question to ponder for years to come. I've had several dealers tell me even with new pipes, new intake the bike doesn't need a re-flash. The decel pop doesn't hurt the bike if due to these changes. When I had my tuner (TTS) installed and dyno'd, my mech told me the same thing. If you start changing cams and other internal components is when you really do need to adjust the computer to take advantage of the upgrades. Though it doesn't hurt to fine-tune the ECM, it will adjust to small changes in fuel/air ratios, sorta like it doesn't when changing altitudes/elevations. Your bike may not have the optimal output at higher altitudes, but it still runs fine.

I have an '18 SG with SE street cannon slip ons and want to add the K&N free flow filter into the stock air box. I have been told I need a tuner in which to flash the ECM. I thought the dealer could flash the ECM without me shelling out another three HD's on the tuner?
If you are just swapping the stock air element for a K&N of the same size it is my belief you do not need a tuner or an ECM reflash.
The dealer can do a stage ONE reflash to your ECM for much cheaper than buying a tuner and your warranty will not be affected. The stage one ECM maintains the factory air/fuel ratios but increases the maximum rpm by a couple of hundred and it also changes the timing to be a bit more aggressive.
I ride a 2014 SG. The only mechanical modifications are Street Cannon mufflers and a FuelMoto high flow air cleaner using the stock HD cover. Had my dealer do the stage one flassh shortly after I bought the bike and installed the A/C and muffs. Bike runs very well and a bit cooler than when it was bone stock.

I went out and bought a Fuelpak FP3. I remapped the ECU using the Fuelpak and went for a ride. The difference is very noticeable.
Throttle response is crisp and without hesitation, but the big difference is the reduction in heat from the engine. The decel popping has gone and all id good. Very happy with the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469