Engine squeeking

El Chapo

Aug 10, 2015
So it started a couple weeks ago while at a stop light I noticed a squeaky sound coming from somewhere on the lower and forward part of the engine. When I got home at idle I could hear it but when I put it on the kick stand it seemed to go away. Then last weekend while putting around Tombstone I could hear it very loud even when I parked and bike was leaning on kickstand. So now it's got my attention, when I apply pressure downward on my engine it goes away, if I apply pressure upward it gets extremely loud. I was thinking engine mount. I visually checked all the mounts and also checked torque and even checked for rubs on heat shields etc... everything is good. The problem definitely appears to be external and can be manipulated with pressure on the engine. Has anyone else experienced this and what were your findings. It seems to be cleared up right now but I assume it will come back. Thanks in advance for your help.

I currently experience this too. Along with a rattling gas cap, loud lifter, and rattling left side exhaust. Only fix so far is louder music.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've always had that intermittent squeaking, rattling. Guess maybe it's time to re-torque my head lots too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you suspect an engine or frame mount, try a spray bottle of water hitting different areas to see if it stops or changes. Might help you track it down.

check your floorboards at the pivots... there are no bushings there and metal to metal contact can make some irritating noise. Mine drove me nuts

I had a similar issue a while back on my 15 SGS. My wife and I were traveling through the Beartooth mountains when the noise started. It sounded like a high pitch bearing chatter as if a bearing was failing. I took the bike to the dealership where I purchased it and they thought it was also bearing chatter but when they would push on the engine while it was running the noise would go away. They then thought it was a motor mount and installed new ones but the noise was still there. Everyone was scratching their heads when the mechanic moved a wiring harness between the transmission and the frame and found a very small rock sitting between the transmission and the frame. It was tucked under the wiring harness and even with the harness out of the way you couldn't see it unless you tilted your head a certain way. If you've driven through any gravel or on a dirt road it's possible you picked up a rock like I did.

This weekend I will make a check list of every suggestion here and try it as this is driving me crazy. It was to the point as I was driving down main street in Tombstone every head was turning and not to look at the bikes but to see what the God awful noise was ! Thanks guys.

El Chapo, Also check for wind whistle noises around fairing and fairing vent flap. I remember with my 2014 I had this problem but it sounded like it emanated elsewhere.

I can tell you that mine was the top dog bone mount. Got caught behind a dump truck in the rain in Utah on a sloppy road. Had that squeak for the rest of the trip.
Got home and started looking. Had it on bumps and at idle. Took a long screwdriver by the tip and started pushing the handle against everything while it idled. For me it was that mount.
Took it off washed it out with brake cleaner while rotating the ball joint. Installed and all is quiet. You really don't want lube on it. It will just attract more dust or debris.

Funny mine cured itself. I never investigated it but it has gone away. Now if I can get my gas cap to stop rattling life would be perfect!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thought I had it figured out as I tried everything suggested, finally installed a new engine mount which was a PIA and went away for a month. Now it's back. Haven't tried the upper dog bone as someone suggested but that's the last thing left. If that don't do it, I'll wash her up and my excuse to purchase an 18. YES that's how bad it is. almost embarrassing. It's at idle, seems to be worse when coming off a rough paved road. And another clue is seems to be worse when 2 up and mama isn't a big girl.

Thought I had it figured out as I tried everything suggested, finally installed a new engine mount which was a PIA and went away for a month. Now it's back. Haven't tried the upper dog bone as someone suggested but that's the last thing left. If that don't do it, I'll wash her up and my excuse to purchase an 18. YES that's how bad it is. almost embarrassing. It's at idle, seems to be worse when coming off a rough paved road. And another clue is seems to be worse when 2 up and mama isn't a big girl.

Check the exhaust mount bracket mounting bolt(Allen) at tranny .cross over pipe! Mine loosened up drove me crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad I found this thread! Squeaking started in June , damn near disassembled the bike trying to find it. It was the dog bone. Cleaned it slike buckshot said - all good.
Speaking of the gas cap rattle , I superglued a small rubber washer to each of the rubber bumpers the cap sit on - gone
Now I can hear all the other tapping , rattles & whirring w/o distraction. Love that boom box!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107