extended bags touching pipes

15SGS802

Mar 28, 2017
I just recently purchased a set of 4 1/2 extended bags for my SGS. I have V&H power duals on my bike. I researched prior to buying my extended bags about if there is a problem with such a large pipe. I couldn't find anything, so I went along and purchased. Well I received the bags and tried to put them on and the bags touch my pipes in the rear slightly. This also put a good amount of stress on the latching system to the bike. I am hear to ask if anyone has a solution for me (pictures would be great)...any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and ride safe!

Have never done this myself but I understand you can get some adjustment out of your bag brackets. You loosen them up and make small adjustments. You may even loosen the exhaust and get a little there also. I'm sure one of these professional guys will chime in soon.

I have stretched bags with V&H Twin Slash and I have plenty of room. The Twin Slash are 4" pipes and I believe the Pwr Duals are 4.5".

I just went through this with my brother on his 2017 CVO. He has the stock stretched bags with 4.5" SE mufflers. Have you tried removing both bags and checking to make sure your mufflers aren't twisted to one side or the other? This is often the cause of the problem that you described. The easiest way to check this is to stand the bike up straight (using a stand or a friend to sit on it), get down onto the ground and eyeball the muffler support brackets. You will be able to tell very easily if the mufflers are twisted. If they are, loosen the clamps that holds the mufflers to the header pipe and rotate the mufflers until they are perfectly straight. Tighten the muffler clamps to 35 ft-lbs and reinstall the bags. Here's a video which shows how we were able to get the mufflers evenly centers in the bag cutouts.

https://youtu.be/AGJnD_D2mzo

Last edited:
I just went through this with my brother on his 2017 CVO. He has the stock stretched bags with 4.5" SE mufflers. Have you tried removing both bags and checking to make sure your mufflers aren't twisted to one side or the other? This is often the cause of the problem that you described. The easiest way to check this is to stand the bike up straight (using a stand or a friend to sit on it), get down onto the ground and eyeball the muffler support brackets. You will be able to tell very easily if the mufflers are twisted. If they are, loosen the clamps that holds the mufflers to the header pipe and rotate the mufflers until they are perfectly straight. Tighten the muffler clamps to 35 ft-lbs and reinstall the bags. Here's a video which shows how we were able to get the mufflers evenly centers in the bag cutouts.

https://youtu.be/AGJnD_D2mzo

You sure that was the right video? I only saw someone ride their bike around a parking lot....

You sure that was the right video? I only saw someone ride their bike around a parking lot....

Yes. I don't have any photos of his bike, but I did have that video showing the back end before he rode off. I thought the OP might be able to pause it and see the clearance created from properly centering the mufflers. I will ask my brother to snap a couple of pics and send them to me, so that I can post them in the thread.

I don't know why I didn't think to just screenshot the video instead of posting the link. Try this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
I don't know why I didn't think to just screenshot the video instead of posting the link. Try this.

My bad.....I can't seem to upload pictures now but I have lots of room with my twin slash's....almost too much after looking at that pic. Time for some new pipes.....:rolleyes:

I believe the stocked stretched bags on a CVO are 4"? If I had 4" I wouldn't be asking this question...I appreciate the muffler idea, I will give that a try.

Update: So I have taped about a 1" rubber piece around my bag bracket in two spots (rear and front). This gave me some clearance of the pipes. I then for testing purposes zip tied my pipes to be pulled closer to the tire which now I have about a 1/4 inch space between my bag and pipe. My question to someone is the bracket that holds my pipes on in the rear has a lot of play in it. Is it bad to take some of that play out of the pipes? I'm guessing that extra play in the bracket is for bumps, vibration, etc. Thanks everyone that has replied so far, greatly appreciate the feedback.

If you're talking about taking up some of the side to side play in the the rubber bushing, that probably wouldn't hurt. You could squirt some black Permatex silicone into the bushing on either side of the metal bracket. The only problems that I can foresee with doing so is, when you go to remove the mufflers, it won't slide forward and backward to allow for adjusting the mufflers to the same length out the back and it won't allow you the ability to wiggle the mufflers side to side of you need to remove them. Having said that, if you do go this route, I suggest measuring with a tape measure to ensure that the mufflers stick out the back evenly before applying the silicone. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave