EZPASS - Will It Be Recognized If It's Secured Inside The Faring?

w1smc

Jun 8, 2016
I recently received my motorcycle sized ezpass and wasn't sure that if I stuck it inside the fairing of my bike would it be recognized when I passed through a toll plaza ......

Anyone using an ezpass this way?

Last edited:
The only way to know for sure would be to give it a try. I painted mine black and put it behind the stock windshield and it works fine.

I do have another bike that didn't have a mounting position that worked with the scanners at all. But, since I had registered the tag with the bike license plate, it doesn't seem to matter. I'll pass through, the sign will say tag not read, and continue on my way. When this happens, they take a pic of your plate which links to your tag and they bill you that way. More work for them, makes me feel like I give their work some meaning...

The only problem I've had with that setup is at locations where they have an arm that won't go up because my tag hasn't been read. When I know I'll encounter one of those I just keep it in my pocket and hold it up upon approach. I hope this helps.

On a side note, I also have an Italian on the side... My 2003 Moto Guzzi California Stone. Certainly not as fast as your MV, but a Spaghetti Burner nonetheless.

Mine is setup that way, inside the fairing. Works well

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mine rides in the leather windshield pouch it gets used with 3 different vehicles.

I just have my wife reach back and cover the plate as I pass!
Just kidding! I saw a guy on a Sports bike do that one time. I'm sure he'll lose his hand one of these days getting it caught in the wheel and all for 75 cents!

We have SunPass down here. We don't need to carry anything just register the motorcycle tag with the account and they charge you by the plate.

Last edited:
I have learned to ride the white line going through the tolls....I do have a toll tag but when I ride the line it does not register a charge...its hit and miss if I do ride the line....

I've mine mounted inside fairing, and had no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy mounted his on the inside of his windshield on his RG. I don't know if it was from the sun, or the plastic windshield or what, but he pulled away from a red light and it flew off and bounced across the intersection!

I'm in IL, but here's something you might want to check into. In IL you can register more than one vehicle to and IPass (EZPass), and the pass does not actually have to be in the vehicle to be used. I registered my bike to my car pass, but I never bring it with me and still go through the IPass lane. They will take a picture of the vehicle and as long as the plate is registered to the IPass you're "legal". Believe it or not, IDOT are actually the ones that tipped me off to this. I've been doing this for a while and have yet to have a problem. Eliminates the need for mounting, removing when not in use, etc.

I mounted my EZPass on top of the radio under the fairing on my SGS and haven't had an issue with it not reading it. I used the heavy duty Velcro and put a zip-tie on it just to be sure.

I was having a heck of a time getting my pass to read so I mounted it on the windshield. Been there for a year and hasn't fallen off yet.....

I put mine inside my windshield bag. I originally had it mounted on the windshield but it was so ugly I couldn't take it. I put a couple of Velcro dots inside the bag and it works perfectly.

I had mine in the top lid of the left bag facing forward as it would on the windshield and it worked fine for years, then it didn’t at a toll...I went down to the EZ Pass Center and had it replaced thinking it had gone bad and set the new one in place...and it didn’t work.

Gave up and stuck it on top of the dash on the windshield - and while I HATE how it looks, it works fine so sometimes you’ve gotta take function over form LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77