FP3 Autotune wont work on decatted factory headers ;0)

Sirrat007

Sep 10, 2016
For all the hype about how great the FP3 is. I really wish I had known the auto tune wouldn't work after de-catting the factory headers. I'm really tempted to try and relocate the bungs, although I would feel better if someone else more knowledgeable than me would try it first ;0)

Thoughts anyone? move the bungs or get an after market header? Probably would only need to move one bung.

V&H says there are several headers available that will allow to auto tune to work properly. I would like to see where those bungs are positioned at.

Aloha...Mike

After market header like the X-pipe or similar would be my suggestion and then resell your decat unit to re-coup $ome $$. :cool:

Look at a 2-1 system like the Pro Pipe from V/H for where the bungs are for reference. Bungs are cheap and not hard to install if you can weld. They need to be moved forward on their respective pipe to rid the X-talk.

Hmmm Sirra find that interesting. What year are you talking about. We installed an FP-3 on my buddies bike with decatted head pipe and it runs well. We had to use a true dual setting if I remember correctly but had no problem.

The following are from emails with V&H

In most cases we have found that it does not work. Reason being, the O2 sensors feed into where the catalyst used to be and are now sitting in an open area. This leaves them unable to distinguish whether they are reading from the front/rear cylinder. We have seen our customers finished Autotune maps where the map ends up at either maximum rich or maximum lean because the sensor was reading lean or rich incorrectly. I have admittedly seen cases where someone got a quality Autotune, but the number of unsuccessful attempts far outweigh the successful ones.

Thank you,
Cheyne McNab / Fuelpak / Customer Service / New Accounts
VANCE & HINES*

El Chapo
Di your buddy try running the Auto tune or did he just load one of the maps?
I have a '16FLHX. I can still load all the maps I want. I loaded the map V&H recommended and my bike runs ok too. but one of the main features I liked about the FP3 was the Auto Tune. Seems my only options now will be either an aftermarket header or relocate one of the O2 bungs.
Hmmm Sirra find that interesting. What year are you talking about. We installed an FP-3 on my buddies bike with decatted head pipe and it runs well. We had to use a true dual setting if I remember correctly but had no problem.

Last edited:
You might want to do some research, I don't think anybody is having issues auto tuning with the cat removed.
I would just do it since you already have the gear.

I thought I did research it. I emailed V&H and I have posted their response. The Bike is a 2016 SG. I wonder if V&H is just bull****ting me in hopes i'll buy an aftermarket header pipe from them? All that horse puckey about the sensors crostalking...and cylinders running too rich or too lean what bunch of bs huh?..dman those lying v & H reps ;0) IF V&H says its a real issue I'm gonna believe em. Really think I want to relocate one or both of the bungs, that appears to be the quickest easiest fix. Per V&H "Any aftermarket header that moves the O2 bungs up and has them properly immersed into the exhaust stream will be effective." It looks like I could easily move the rear sensor up a couple of inches putting it inside the "Rear cylinder down pipe)" Looks like the front bung could just stay where it is.
You might want to do some research, I don't think anybody is having issues auto tuning with the cat removed.
I would just do it since you already have the gear.

I bought the de-cat from American and it runs and tuned great with the FP3.
Just curious which header you got? Is it the reworked factory header or the true dual header? If its the reworked factory header. I'd be interested in know if the O2 sensors have been changed to a different type or been relocated in some way. Also when you say it tunes fine, are you saying the auto tune works or just the bike is able to receive new maps and run ok? I would think with aftermarket headers you wouldn't have any problems with auto tune.

TY.....Mike

You can get by with a de-catted head pipe, however, a header designed with merge collector or x-pipe and properly located sensors will definitely out perform it. Keep in mind: dyno runs are at WOT and the bike is open loop there. The sensors aren't doing anything. The sensors work when you're cruising and help driveability and mileage a lot.

He started with a base map, I think it was True duals for head pipe and he has the 450 O.S. for slip on with Arlen Ness air filter. That was the settings he input then finished with auto tune. Initially it seemed to run rich with base setting then smoothed out after auto tune.

He started with a base map, I think it was True duals for head pipe and he has the 450 O.S. for slip on with Arlen Ness air filter. That was the settings he input then finished with auto tune. Initially it seemed to run rich with base setting then smoothed out after auto tune.
If he had the true duals for head pipes then yes of course autotune should have most probably did work correctly. The only issue with autotune not working is on the factory header pipe. I'm running 4.5 cobras nh's and kuraykyn velociraptor ac. I'm told the factory header pipe, regardless of anything else is restrictive. So for that reason i'm going to replace it with an aftermarket unit. I did research out some other solutions though. One creative solution was to get the header pipes off of an '09. (no cat) the sensors are mounted up high and there is a wiring kit someone makes to extend the stock wires. But since the conclusion is factory headers are more restrictive, i'll stay with plan b and go aftermarket. ;0)

Aloha....mike

To clarify, he had factory head pipe decatted but on the FP-3 he set the settings to true duals. That was per V&H tech support.

The true dual was the setting for the base map for the Autotune to start from? That's basically the same map V&H recommended to me. My bike runs better on that map
To clarify, he had factory head pipe decatted but on the FP-3 he set the settings to true duals. That was per V&H tech support.

Initially it seemed to run rich with base setting then smoothed out after auto tune.

my bike runs rich on the base also, guess I'll try the auto tune maybe I'll get lucky ;0) can always reload the base if I don't.

Aloha...Mike

Seems like a useful addition to this thread...

Decatted factory pipes default map selection and autotune using fp3...
cudos to LawAbidingBiker.com

Fuelpak 3 Motorcycle Electronic Fuel Injection EFI Tuner Vance & Hines | Install Tutorial:
https://youtu.be/pQkbnUyPIYY

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77