Freedom Performance Fitment

yegg

Sep 18, 2015
So I absolutely hate the tuck under exhaust. It is my own personal preference but I hate working on the damn thing. I had the Vance and Hines Dresser Duals and what drove me crazy was the way the mounting hardware that attaches to the back of the oil pan always got so jacked up and was the biggest pain for any type of tear down. I like the true duals and I like the dual pipes coming out the back symmetrically. I have always heard good things about Freedom Performance so I went that route. Now is the perfect time as I had the whole top end off for a rebuild.

I ordered from a distributor (Biohazard Cycles) and had a great experience using them. The box came quickly and was exactly what I wanted. I have a 2015 FLHXS and all of the distributor sites show that the Freedom Performance HD00244 fits my scoot. No fitment notes are made in any of the listings.

***The left side passenger peg will NOT fold up when using this header.***

Several of the distributors even show pictures of the product with the passenger peg on the left side. I guess that is correct if you never want to fold it up.

Calling Freedom Performance was less than helpful. Their first comment was "you didn't buy it form us." While on the phone with them I was scouring their site and that model is not even listed. I asked if it was in fact a current production item and I was informed that it is. I was then told that when it was designed and mocked up it was done so on a bike with no passenger pegs. The company representative's final thought was that I find or make a spacer. Gee thanks. But yes, that is what I did. I found a mounting alternative. I hope. I went ahead and ordered the Kuryakyn Adjustable Passenger Peg Mounts for Touring. https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1815/adjustable-passenger-peg-mounts

Also, be aware that when you buy these headers the directions are HORRIBLE. You actually need a combination of directions from two different models. If you get these headers and are confused, email me and I will post pictures that actually make sense and that you can see. I swear the directions that came with the headers were 150th generation copies from mimeograph paper (that's a reference for you old farts out there)!

Have seen several of their pipes that have cracked but they were mostly 2 - 1 pipes. Their customer service at an event was not very good for the cracked pipe and they had a replacement in the truck but refused to trade them out. Conversation got pretty ugly almost coming to blows.

Good luck

So to continue the discussion, I’m not too happy how the part of the header that fits into the cylinder head (exhaust port) seats.

Another fitment issue I ran into is that I have the Bad Dad brake arm and the front cylinder’s head pipe is too close. It took me about half an hour and a second pair of hands to get everything lined up just to get about an eighth of an inch gap between the two.

The other fitment issue I ran into is with the Trask Performance cam cover. Again it took a second pair of hands and an hour to get a sixteenth of an inch gap between the front cylinder’s head pipe and the cam cover.

The biggest trick was trying to finagle the front cylinder head pipe’s heat shield to sit away from the cam cover AND not prevent the brake arm from coming to its natural rest stop.

If this thing disappoints in any way when the bike is running I’m going to rip those headers off and rethink my plan. I really like dual mufflers, one on each side of the bike, and I despise the cross under pipe. Any suggestions as to what to consider should this not work out?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the D&D boss fat cat 2-1 with a ghost pipe and it looks good from the back with both pipes. The ghost pipe was easy to install pipe dead heads just past where it bolts to the back of trans. You have to look close to see that it's not hooked up. Have had a lot of people ask about it being a 2-1 but having the 2 pipes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave