Gear Head Coffee Table - 215 Aluminum V8

bugdewde

Jul 4, 2015
Well, I've seen these things on the web for a few years, and I've always wanted one.
So...... today, I pulled the old mock-up Buick 215 cubic inch all aluminum V8 block out of the stalled '73 Vega Kammback project to see how hard/easy it would be.

WOW! It took 5 minutes to build the rough draft.....

1. After separating the rod caps, I simply slid one rod bolt into a head bolt hole. The other rod bolt just hangs in the lifter valley pan area.
2. The pistons are almost level.... will need some tweaking/leveling to sit flat.
3. Cut some old blue jean grease rags up to keep the glass from getting scratched/nasty from the old carboned up pistons.
4. Added Sunscreen, Bug Spray and a bottle of hootch to the cylinders for effect...... sitting on top of the 2x4 in the crank area to raise them up and out of the bores

file.php

file.php

file.php

After a good de-greasing and some clear coat on the steel rods/pistons/cylinder walls, I think I just might have a new back porch/deck coffee table.

. . . Hon, you forgot to vacuum under the coffee table again!

Looks great !
I have fond memories of that motor in two vehicles. 1) had a Grand Prix that busted a piston on New Years Eve around midnight on the highway (Buick engine). A buddy and I replaced it, but it never ran the same. 2) Same buddy had a Vega '73 maybe. We worked together as field techs and he was at an account, parked in front. Called and said his damn Vega was on fire! Said he thinks a bolt fell in the carb when he was working on it.

Now that is really cool idea and doesn't everybody have an old V-8 laying around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469