Harley won't cover warranty if you use aftermarket pipes and tuner!

rpsuttman

Apr 16, 2018
After Less than a year of riding my 2017 Street Glide Special and putting 9,000 miles on it the rear head gasket started blowing oil like Niagra Falls. Took it in to get it checked out at the dealership and they said the gasket had slipped and screwed up the piston. They also told me Harley will not cover the repairs under warranty because I put the aftermarket pipes on it and they required a differed tune on the bike. I chose the Vance & Hines Fuelpak. Is there one Harley on the road that doesn't have aftermarket pipes on? I haven't seen one. This is just a way to screw their own customers out of paying for warranty issues. They tell me that they only started doing this a couple of years ago. This is a warning to all Harley owners and the manufacturers of aftermarket exhausts and tuners. HARLEY WILL DENY WARRANTY CLAIMS IF YOU PUT AFTERMARKET PIPES ON YOUR BIKE! I suspect this knowledge will put a dent into sales of these products and the manufacturers will be none too happy. Get ready for lawsuits MOCO! Anyone else run into this?

Rob

Well if they want to go down that road then they need to prove the after market pipe and tuner did the damage. It has to be proven that your after market stuff did the damage and if they can't they will have to fix it. I would get a hold of Harley corporate themselves and find out what they will do.

Hey Tom,
I spoke with them. Well, I mostly yelled and cussed at the poor guy on the other end of the line. They said they would not budge. I didn't ask if they had proof that the aftermarket stuff did the damage but I will.

Hey Tom,
I spoke with them. Well, I mostly yelled and cussed at the poor guy on the other end of the line. They said they would not budge. I didn't ask if they had proof that the aftermarket stuff did the damage but I will.

Drive it down to another dealer. They all treat it a bit different. also research this:

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/magnuson-moss-warranty-act.html

HD's issue with pipes and tuners is to void warranty due to EPA non-compliance since they got hit with a 5mil fine. What you have is known leak issued in a tech bulletin. I would take it up the chain if you can't fine a dealer that will do it. They don't need additional bad press.

Read the link below and also do a search on M8 rear rocker box leaks. My 2018 SGS had one. Hell, I didn't even make it home before it started leaking oil. Dealership picked the bike up and made the necessary repairs. I do not for one second believe that installing a set of aftermarket headers should have caused a gasket to slip on the rear head, thus resulting in an oil leak. I would have a second opinion from another dealership.

https://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

This is directly from the Harley settlement with the EPA:

14. Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA.

This is not an H-D policy, it is a legal order from the EPA.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-12/documents/harleydavidson-cd.pdf

Wow! Too crazy. So far I have stayed in compliance with my 2018 SGS by only installing a SE Stage 1 air cleaner and SEPST. Maybe I should hold up right there for now, especially since I had an issue with the oil leaking from the rear rocker box already.

Well it's in parts at the dealer right now so drivin it to another one aint an option. 35 years of riding Harleys and all I wanted was my first new one that I finally wouldn't have to work on and now I gotta deal with this ****. I'm seeing an Indian in my future. F*ck the MoCo.

Wow! Too crazy. So far I have stayed in compliance with my 2018 SGS by only installing a SE Stage 1 air cleaner and SEPST. Maybe I should hold up right there for now, especially since I had an issue with the oil leaking from the rear rocker box already.

The H-D auto-tuning module and all the stage kits are EPA legal.

I have been eyeballing the SE Auto Tuner. It sure would be nice to have. The drawback is, they want a bag of money for the tool to drill and tap the factory exhaust bung for the 18mm o2 sensors. I believe the tool and auto tuner together are close to $800. I hate paying the HD tax and I often times feel violated after paying it.

I have been eyeballing the SE Auto Tuner. It sure would be nice to have. The drawback is, they want a bag of money for the tool to drill and tap the factory exhaust bung for the 18mm o2 sensors. I believe the tool and auto tuner together are close to $800. I hate paying the HD tax and I often times feel violated after paying it.

Yes, join the club. I bought the complete high flow exhaust system that had the bungs in it and dual cats in the mufflers. For your bike: https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/high-flow-exhaust-system-with-street-cannon-mufflers

Yes, join the club. I bought the complete high flow exhaust system that had the bungs in it and dual cats in the mufflers. For your bike: https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/high-flow-exhaust-system-with-street-cannon-mufflers

Man hulk, you sure do like teasing a brother don't you? LOL! I'll be honest, at times I have considered selling my 2015 SGS with the badass 107ci motor in order to fund mods to the new M8. If I did that, I would certainly add a cam, the aforementioned SE exhaust, color matched tour pack, CVO limited seat, rider backrest and tour pack backrest with blue stitching and then some. I do have access to a brand new SE cam for the M8 117. My brother did not use the cam in his build and I would be able to get it from him. I am trying really hard to exercise some restraint here though, because I know me and if I'm not careful, I will be balls deep into this one too.

This is directly from the Harley settlement with the EPA:

14. Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA.

This is not an H-D policy, it is a legal order from the EPA.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-12/documents/harleydavidson-cd.pdf

So a body who isnt elected, and actually has 0 actual power, and just makes recommendations, is now considering their suggestions enforcable LAW? hahaha.
Dont get me wrong, clean water, solar panels, wind etc. all great things yet they offer 0 punishment for creating electric vehicles, who in their creation do more to destroy the environment, than actually help it. Lithium strip mining is........ ugh

Sorry no one wants that 15 page rant. How exactly were they able to bypass the M-M act? Its very similar to red flag gun confiscation laws were they can take your firearms, WITHOUT involving a court first. WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THIS COUNTRY............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith