HD Extended Warrantee - anybody get it?

rv7garage

Apr 12, 2015
I have 30 days to decide, and would like to hear from anyone who has used it, and what your experience was like. What did you pay for it? Etc.

Thanks!

I got mine at the time of purchase. So I would have to look at my paperwork. My motor was replaced after 2,000 miles because of a compression ring issues. Dealership took care of everything. And if something else happens it a good piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have a full year to decide whether to purchase the ESP on a new bike. Also, keep in mind, you don't have to buy it from the same dealership that sold the bike. Some dealers offer better prices than others. The price they offer isn't set in stone; you might be able to negotiate a better deal.

I paid $1799 for an Extended Service Plan, 5 year/ unlimited mileage, optional tire & Wheel coverage

I paid $1800 for 7 years/unlimited mileage, no tire & wheel coverage.

I had the option.... it was $1800 for 7 year ESP.

This was the deciding factor on a SG or SGS..... SGS w/o ESP or SG w/ ESP..... I went for the SGS w/o...

I had mine thrown in on the deal with the tire option as well. I have had it on one of my other bikes as well and used it multiple times after the factory warranty ran out. So as long as your dealer is cool and will still do the work on the bike after you have had mods done I would recommend it. But that is just my two cents.

HD Extended Warrantee - anybody get it?

I got it on mine when I bought the bike. It's a pretty good deal if you stack on a lot of miles. I won't pay for any maintenance till after September 2017, including all services. I also got a bunch of coupons for free full details, 15% off parts, free shirts etc... I saved a ton of cash when I used the 15% off coupon on my exhaust, race tuner and air cleaner. I also had a free dyno run thrown in the deal too. It's already paid itself off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought one with my last bike, never needed it so I skipped it on this one.

I bought mine for my 2015 FLHXS, for $2000CDN (~$1500USD at the time) for a 7 year (total)/ unlimited mileage with optional tire & Wheel coverage. I had the same thing on my 2008 FLHT, it cost about $1750CDN and I think our money was worth a bit more at that time, and I used it twice.

1) when a CD got stuck in my stereo and they shipped it away to get the CD out. I paid the $50CDN deductible. They even shipped the CD back once they got it out which was unexpected but it took a few weeks. To replace the stereo would have been about $1250CDN plus labor.

2) I was having intermittent problems with my bike stalling at hiway speeds. It took a lot of troubleshooting and 2 different dealers but after talking to the MOCO they replaced the kill switch. Never had the problem again until I traded it in about 17,000Km (10,500mi) later. I don't know how much time was spent checking and cleaning electrical connections and troubleshooting the problem with test rides before they replaced the switch. All in all I know I saved money by having it, no doubt about it. Both problems did occur after the initial 2 year warranty had already expired.

I figured if the 6.5" Boom Box on my new bike ever died that would be around $1850CDN the last time I looked. Although there is no moving parts, if the screen ever dies, that will be expensive and they would probably replace the whole thing anyway. That in itself almost makes it worth while. Many people will say Extended warranties are not worth it but I think it's peace of mind if nothing else. If I'm going to be taking 5 years to pay my bike off, I want to have protection for it during that time, and why not for a few years after? Good luck and let us know how it goes.

FLHXSrider

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking, I did not get the extended warranty. But maybe I should have!!! So I decided to talk to the general manager at the dealership I bought my bike from. My question, "How long do I have before it is too late to add the extended warranty?". He laughed and then he replied, "Let me make sure I word this properly, A Harley that is under original warranty can have an extended warranty added. You can realistically warranty your harley for 12 years, if you add the first extended warranty and then before it expires you add a second extended warranty. " then he said, "you can also add an extended warranty to a harley that is out of warranty if the bike has less than 12000 miles. And you can add a warranty to a Harley that has over 12,000 miles IF you pay the harley dealer to inspect the bike ($400), and IF it passes the inspection."
So if I understand him correctly, and, if he worded it properly, then I have 2 yrs from purchase date to add the extended warranty. Then I can add another 5 yrs to the back of that if I add it before I go past 7rs from purchase date. Anybody heard of this before?

I looked at my contract (Canadian) and under Section 3 it states:

Extended Eligibility (Mandatory Surcharge): A surcharge is required for all NEW MOTORCYCLES if the CONTRACT SALES DATE is greater than ninety (90) days from the IN-SERVICE DATE or the kilometers at the time of sale is greater than three thousand five hundred (3,500) kilometers, whichever occurs first.

I'd be surprised if they'd just let you keep buying warranties from them because eventually it will cost them. I've never heard of this but it could be true. I'm sure the Mandatory Surcharge would start to get pricey though.

My new FLHXS came with a 2- year factory warranty- no tire and wheel. When it nears the end of the 2 years, I will then buy an extended warranty. I had been in contact with an agent in Wisconsin that sales full factory warranties.

James J. Palmer
Business Manager
Insurance Agent
Kutter Harley-Davidson of Janesville
3223 N. Pontiac Dr
Janesville, WI 53545
P: 608-314-1722, C: 608-335-0970, F: 888-322-2090

Great news! We are now able to offer an Extended Service Contract for any Harley Davidson which is still covered under the factory warranty. You can add an additional 1 to 5 years of coverage AFTER the factory warranty ends. (Total of 7 years of coverage from in-service date!)

· Terms are AFTER Factory Warranty END date (If you want 3 additional years, simply purchase the 3 year plan).
· Accepted at all Harley-Davidson Dealership with a $0 deductible
· Accepted at all State Licensed Repair Shops with a $0 deductible
· $0 deductible on all covered tire and wheel claims
· Tire and wheel is a separate contract; increased options during renewal and transfer
· Transferable to the next owner during a private party sale
· Cancelable if the bike is involved in a total loss or sale

Kimack- I saved the contact info for future reference. I'll compare their costs with Harley's. Thanks for sharing

Have a friend that just did the warranty through Kutters and he saved 900 dollars off what his dealer wanted. Dealer advised him to go with this plan because he couldn't come close to matching it for him. Dealer also asked for the information so he could contact Kutter and see what they were doing and hopefully sell the same package down the road.

James J. Palmer
Business Manager
Insurance Agent
Kutter Harley-Davidson of Janesville
3223 N. Pontiac Dr
Janesville, WI 53545
P: 608-314-1722, C: 608-335-0970, F: 888-322-2090

Thanks for posting that, I recently asked my local dealer about this, prices seemed a bit on the high side so I'll give Kutter a call.

Thanks for posting that, I recently asked my local dealer about this, prices seemed a bit on the high side so I'll give Kutter a call.
Just remember......everything's negotiable, see if they'll meet the price or move on, in the end you're buying a nationwide warranty so why pay more for something that doesn't have a shipping cost :D

Incidentally the language about a surcharge after 90 days is there for the DEALER as the cost of the policy to the dealer is no different on day one or one day before the factory warranty expires....the warranty company wants you to pay earlier as they make their money by investing that money. Most dealership personnel don't really know these facts as it would be counterproductive to have salespeople reciting anything but what they are told, but then again my mispent youth was wasted as an F&I guy in the car business.

Just to be clear I support my local dealer, when it makes sense and I ALWAYS give them a chance to be competitive within their control (eg. sales tax) but if they are willing to match another dealers discount I'm in otherwise I wait for the UPS truck, call me fickle but I make my living in sales and that's how it works in my world :D

Last edited:
In checking with my selling dealer I got these prices for Extended Warranty on my FLHXS:
1 year w/ tire $1474
2 year w/ tire $1624
3 year w/ tire $1984

2 year w/no tire $1344

Plus $50 per each claim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlest