High Speed Wobble

bjohns

Mar 19, 2013
I am running a 21 front with the progressive monotube front suspension 1" drop (think its actually lil over 1 1/4") rear got stock shock with 17x200 tire and lowering blocks......went for a ride on some country roads and at 100 it started to wobble, i cheked the tire pressure next day it was like 2lbs low, didnt mess w/ it. Went to bike week and on I-95 I got to around 80-85 and the wobble started again, once so bad I thought I was about to do a tank slapper. The semi's and cross winds probably didnt help. I could never get above 90, I went to HD and they put 3lbs in my front.....Next day I got bike up to 95 no problems, then 100 no prob's on back roads, got on interstate and around 105 slight wobble, nothin major, next day wobble was back around 90ish..... I am lost on what it could be, any suggestions.....at first I was thinking the monotube suspension, since mine is so much lower in front than any other SG w/ a 21.....Then wonderd if the lowering blocks could affect it...............Any Ideas

forgot to mention I am running a single side caliper/ rotor up front, not sure if that would make a difference

Could be your steering swing is off. Lots of wobble on the roadglides, but usually at slower speeds. Also how old is your tire. I had a cupped tire a few months ago and the tire was a brand new metzler. Defective. I had vibration at 50 mph. Replaced it with a new Dunlop and everything is fine and they adjust the swing.

Have you done a wheel alignment? I put a 180 rear on an evo tourer and found it would not track in a straight line. With all the mods I did I found that the wheel alignment was out a bit. Fixed it (about a 2 mill difference) and it was fine.

The other thing that may help is playing with your rear suspension pressures - maybe make it a bit harder. With a 21 front and a lowered back the overall geometry of the bike may be causing it to wobble.

Also agree with Bill re the tyres being cupped. The trouble with handling is that it could be one or a combination of many things - you just have to keep playing !!

Tires are new less than 500 miles or maybe slightly over 500, once the air pressure was added it semed to help, but it could have been the road that made it better @ bill how can you tell if the tire is cupped, I was also thinking about doing away w/ the lowering blocks and going w/ the progressive 411's I think they are like an inch or so shorter than stock, with the rear being lowered could thsat have anything to do with it??

I have a 2012 with a 21 avon front and the stock 180 rear. I lowered my rear 1 3/4 inches and its never rode smoother. I have 30lbs in the rear shocks and stock front. it might also be balance of the front tire that only effects it at high speeds. Up to 125mph like i'm riding on clouds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90