I need your Help! California Road Trip Advice.

Try mapping out a route on Route 66. Maybe you can bypass a lot of the traffic by traveling the Mother Road.

Biggest advice I can give you is when you hit the desert stay hydrated so pack extra water. There are thousands of unforgettable roads to see between Tennessee and California on your route. I know RT66 kind of follows I40 across the top of Arizona where you will be in higher altitudes along the way. That will get you close to the grand canyon make sure you drop down Flagstaff into Sedona it's worth the trip just to see the red rock formations. When you get to Kingman you can turn north on 95 and you can go across Hoover dam or bypass it then right into Las Vegas. When you hit California watch out for the idiot drivers.

I live in TN and moved here from CA (Thank God!). My advice would be to avoid Southern Cal at all costs unless you like sitting in traffic. The Sierras out of Reno heading west is as good as it gets on Hiway 50 or I-80 thru Auburn-Sacramento over to San Francisco (watch for Poop in the streets!).
Scenario:
Take I-70 to/thru Denver over the Rockies out to Grand Junction. Go across Utah and pick up Hiway 50 (Loneliest Hiway in America) over to Reno and enjoy Tahoe/Truckee area. Good luck and make some memories!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107