LRS Elite Install Question

2015FlHXS

Aug 29, 2015
Happy to receive my new windshield yesterday a 7inch Elite from LRS. It looks good on the bike but it doesn't fit the same as the stock one and there's a gap on each side between the side screw and the center. Has anyone else ran into this and any suggestions for a fix, or should I leave it as is? I look forward to testing it out once the rain stops wonderful fall weather in Michigan.

Chris

Nope. Are you sure you have the screen seated in the right spot? Seems like you would have a gap if any part of the screen is on top of (not around) the mount point, or if it is sitting too high around the mount.

Haven't done this myself but some have posted here about adding a little more weather stripping to the areas with the gap.

Anything thicker than the stock windshield ( most everything is) will create a gap it seems. I installed a freedom shield(thickest out there) and the dash pouches. I had to remove the outer fairing (simple job) the pouch kit came with foam weather stripping to seal the gaps from the mirrors to the top of the fairing but not enough to completely seal the upper gaps.
I used D seal (RV weather stripping ) to completely seal the fairing. It looks seamless and no water will intrude... I wasn't as concerned about the water as I couldn't stand the gaping holes where the windscreen started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To clarify the gaps are in the front between the top of fairing and the windshield. I'd bet it's not sitting right in the channel but I can't seem to figure how to correct. I can't imagine this is normal and adding weatherstripping would seem to add to the problem.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Probably not seated correctly on left or right mounting point. Any Pics?

I had the same problem with my LRS, just takes an extra beer. Had to loosen the 3 screws a bit more to open the gap, then it slides down.

I'll take a few pics tonight. I've been moving the shieeld up and down a bit and tighting the screws with no luck yet.

I had the same problem with my LRS, just takes an extra beer. Had to loosen the 3 screws a bit more to open the gap, then it slides down.

With the mushroom shaped holes in the wind screen, the narrow part of the mushroom might be caught at the mounting point.

Yes- try to loosen all three screws, gently pull the outer fairing away from the inner fairing, then pull the wind screen out and then down.

Anything thicker than the stock windshield ( most everything is) will create a gap it seems. I installed a freedom shield(thickest out there) and the dash pouches. I had to remove the outer fairing (simple job) the pouch kit came with foam weather stripping to seal the gaps from the mirrors to the top of the fairing but not enough to completely seal the upper gaps.
I used D seal (RV weather stripping ) to completely seal the fairing. It looks seamless and no water will intrude... I wasn't as concerned about the water as I couldn't stand the gaping holes where the windscreen started.

How thick was the weather stripping you used? When I did my audio install last week I noticed the stock foam weather stripping was cashed. I pealed it off and used some 3M adhesive remover to remove the left over adhesive and stuck some 1/4 thick by 1" wide foam weather stripping I picked up from the hardware store. Well it's too thick there is gaps on both sides where the windshield ends it looks horrible and is gonna let water in.

I'll post some picks of what I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with mine. Don't want to leave it on as I am afraid of water damage to the electrical system inside of fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any update on this? I have the same issue on my 18SGS. Installed an aftermarket windshield but there is a gap between screws. Harley tried to fix it but couldn't and submitted it as a warranty item. The mother ship (Harley) said that since i installed an aftermarket windshield they would not cover it under warranty. In fact, when I went to Harley to get my WHIM installed, they told me there was water inside the fairing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77