M8 s&s 124 bolt on kit

18flhxs

Mar 7, 2018
Thinking about this kit for a winter project,has anyone here done this or know anyone who has on there m8.any input would be great,thanks

Thinking about this kit for a winter project,has anyone here done this or know anyone who has on there m8.any input would be great,thanks

I don't know anyone with the S&S 124 kit, but it sounds like it'll be badass! The nice thing about the kit is, it comes with a new oil pump and cam plate. FYI, the M8 CVO (bigger displacement motor) has had 5-6 different oil pump revisions which IMO is indicative of an oiling problem. My brother owns a 2017 CVO SG and he had his motor built to a 117 at the dealership and 250 miles later, the motor was starved of oil. I was riding behind him at 70+ MPH, when I heard a loud bang which sounded like a shotgun and I suddenly smelled oil. I thought he had blown his motor. Long story short, he towed the bike to the dealer and the dealer discovered that the motor was starved of oil, thus resulting in a damaged motor (crank, casings cylinders, oil pump, pistons, etc.). The crank counterbalance even disintegrated and sucked plastic pieces into the oil pump and casings. I think S&S is a solid company and I'm sure they have addressed any apparent oiling issues with the M8. I'm running their 475C cam and tappet cuffs in my 2018 SGS btw and the bike really gets out of its own way now.

Thanks for the info. S&s website claims 124 hp &135 tq with stock heads and injectors.i plan on porting the heads while there off and se injectors.

Thanks for the info. S&s website claims 124 hp &135 tq with stock heads and injectors.i plan on porting the heads while there off and se injectors.

I like the way you're thinking! Have you heard any information on how well the 124 will hold up to touring? It might be fine, but that's getting up there in cubes. A couple of guys on here have had trouble out of their 120 motors. Hulkss ended up destroking his to a 113 ci (I believe).

Havent heard much about it,dont know how new it is.looks to be a fairly mello cam (550 lift).hopefully others will chime in with input.

This kit comes with a billet oil pump and cam plate also so i cant see any oiling issues

If your looking to get head work done check out JC Walker JWPerf.com. Look him up and give him a call he will do anything you want to heads and will steer you in the right direction. Had him build a set of heads for me last winter and oh how happy I am now.

Thanks for the info.,i plan on porting my heads myself,i had good luck with my last set on my twin cam softtail i had.gonna need something to do while the white stuff is on the ground.

Thanks for the info.,i plan on porting my heads myself,i had good luck with my last set on my twin cam softtail i had.gonna need something to do while the white stuff is on the ground.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Please make a thread with plenty of pics of your head porting project. Will you also be installing bigger valves? Are you hand porting or using a CNC machine?

Same valves,and hand porting.once snow flies ive got plenty of time,unfortunately looks like soon here.

Plans changed,just ordered woods 222 cam,lifters,adjustable push rods,s&s tappet cuffs,oil pump&cam plate,SE heads,64mm throttle body and 5.5 g/sec. Injectors.this build should keep me happy for a while.

So i got a late start on my build but just did the initial break in last week.parts list: se 114 cyl.&pistons 11:1,se cnc ported heads,se 64 mm throttle body,se 5.5 gram/sec. Injectors, woods wm8-408 cam & lifters, fuel moto adjustable push rods,s&s billet oil pump & cam plate,se plugs and wires,aim light force slave cylinder & variable clutch pressure plate,macombs clutch rod.hopefully it will dry up here in the next week so i can get it out on the road,cant wait now it sounds SICK!!!!. Will post comments after some miles.

I was just talking to my indie shop about an S&S 124 pistons and jugs for my bike.
He wasn't sure if it would be compatible with the 465 torque cam I already have. If I have to do another cam swap I don't think I'll bother.
Frankly, the cam job really woke it up, so I'm pretty happy right now.

I like the way you're thinking! Have you heard any information on how well the 124 will hold up to touring? It might be fine, but that's getting up there in cubes. A couple of guys on here have had trouble out of their 120 motors. Hulkss ended up destroking his to a 113 ci (I believe).

I wore out that motor too. The big motors with forged pistons run hot and need clearance. The soft but tough forged pistons wear out. Big motors may crack cast pistons because the skirts are really short for clearance.

I dropped back to a 103 build with H-D hypeutectic cast pistons. These can be fit really close in the bore, run quiet, and last long.

If I every by another H-D, it will have the water cooled heads. The new 114 twin-cooled ultra limited motor looks good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave