Mods. ...for swimming pool.

GlideLife

Dec 3, 2015
I know this may probably get me nowhere, but I'm gonna' give it a shot...
We have a 10 year old "low budget" in ground pool. Since I decided to NOT spend big $$ on a 120 R or ST for my SGS, my wife wants to take the $$ I had set aside & add to her POOL REMODEL fund. Looking for thoughts & ideas from "everyday people" instead of pool builders who are usually armed & wear masks when you discuss pool remodeling with them. We definetly are going to refinish the now faded diamondbrite exterior finish & add some better tile. But also thinking about incorporating a nice "spa" (hot tub) & some more lighting (We have one white incandescent light now). We were also considering some kind of "water feature". Our current pool is just a big hole in the ground with water in it). We just replaced our pump. We were even considering salt water chlorinization... Ideas?

We DO use our pool a lot. Nice to come home after a long hot ride in July or August, & jump in. I like it for an "after the lawn mowing" cool down as well.
Not looking for a "showplace , or "Trump Int'l"... Just something a little nicer for entertaining.
Our "cement pond" needs help.
Our budget is $30K.

Last edited:
Whatever you do install a salt water chlorinator.
Aside from saving money ob chlorine you get a steady release and the water feels softer from the salt.

My first thought is to tell you to cement it over.. J/k
Mine is 16 years old and is great, but the grandkids are enjoying thier Bigger pool so.. It's not used as much.
+1 on the saltwater, feels great.
My spa was built-in with it and have enjoyed it, but the heater seemed to have problems every year or so. Just try and get quality components that are maintenance free.... Kinda

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I know absolutely zero about this stuff. The pool came with the house & builder ripped us off big time. This is my wifes thing. I got my 40X28 man cave built 4 yrs ago cuz she knows how to save money & surprised me in 2012 when she told me she'd been saving... So "Get it done!"
Now it's her turn.
Salt water. "check"
Build spa into remodeled pool. "Check"
Shes decided on "beadcrete" finish. "Cuz it sparkles" (has little blue & clear glass beads in the diamond brite."
Thanks. SHE's Still looking for more ideas too.
Deck jets? Huh?
She wants little water jets pumping streams of water out of pool deck into pool. Shes gonna show me a pool down the street that has 'em tonight.
I can't wait...

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you better get those parts back for the motor and get it back together ha ha ha ha

Not happening. $$$ for My cams, heads, clutch and all the peripheral hardware is in my separate fund (separate IRA) with some padding for any extras I need plus some chrome stuff and a new helmet. Her pool project is her "Harley". She can afford it. She just wants me to do the negotiating for parts and research what she wants. She has hired an architect already, & The builder is afraid of her, but has already started demolition of the portion of our pool that will be gone. Our pool deck looks like WW 3. We're supposed to have a "new pool" by June 15th. I just learned we're gonna have 7 digitally controlled LED lights.

Last edited:
Not happening. $$$ for My cams, heads, clutch and all the peripheral hardware is in my separate fund (separate IRA) with some padding for any extras I need plus some chrome stuff and a new helmet. Her pool project is her "Harley". She can afford it. She just wants me to do the negotiating for parts and research what she wants. She has hired an architect already, & The builder is afraid of her, but has already started demolition of the portion of our pool that will be gone. Our pool deck looks like WW 3. We're supposed to have a "new pool" by June 15th. I just learned we're gonna have 7 digitally controlled LED lights.

I am not sure this really helps you, but maybe I can learn something from your quest. We don't currently have pool but my wife wants a pool to and move to FLA, so we have been looking.... She had one when she was a kid.

So we have seen some pretty neat ideas. I assume you have what they refer to down there as a bird cage, around the pool. Also I have seen some nice indirect lighting, and for me a nice patio area around the pool with some seating, a grill and fridge. The surrounding area for me is what makes the pool, other than that its just a hole in the ground with water in it.

Also how to you keep a small house pool from heating up like bath water down there? It would be nice to jump in a cool pool after a hot ride.

I don't understand how she can lay around a pool all day and she doesn't understand how I can fish all day. How about a fishn pond/swimin Pool??

The birdcage left us in 08 Hurricane. Too much to replace and insurance company's no longer insure them. We will put in a nice semi private fence. We have neighbors now. We live on 1-1/2 acres. We finalized everything with architect 15 minutes ago. Her $30K project is now $79K but she's getting what she wants. She started out her request from the architect with the words "Simple, Clean..." & then I heard her say, "elegant". That took me out of the conversation, right there.

By the way.... Neither of us sit around in the pool we have. The new one should be pretty awesome. Architect said you won't even have to step into the pool to enjoy it. The architect did a water color rendering that he will send her when he does the finishing touches.

We already have an outdoor kitchen on our patio which will an extension of the new Italian travertine pool deck. I'm so glad she invested our money well when we were younger.
I could not even consider owning a Harley-Davidson until I retired. Quite a few pre-owned Jap bikes, but that was it. She is the CFO and Budget Director. Lol.

Last edited:
Whatever you do install a salt water chlorinator.
Aside from saving money ob chlorine you get a steady release and the water feels softer from the salt.

Agree. Salt is the bomb and so low Maintenace and no chlorine smell and does not hurt the eyes.

The birdcage left us in 08 Hurricane. Too much to replace and insurance company's no longer insure them. We will put in a nice semi private fence. We have neighbors now. We live on 1-1/2 acres. We finalized everything with architect 15 minutes ago. Her $30K project is now $79K but she's getting what she wants. She started out her request from the architect with the words "Simple, Clean..." & then I heard her say, "elegant". That took me out of the conversation, right there.

By the way.... Neither of us sit around in the pool we have. The new one should be pretty awesome. Architect said you won't even have to step into the pool to enjoy it. The architect did a water color rendering that he will send her when he does the finishing touches.

We already have an outdoor kitchen on our patio which will an extension of the new Italian travertine pool deck. I'm so glad she invested our money well when we were younger.
I could not even consider owning a Harley-Davidson until I retired. Quite a few pre-owned Jap bikes, but that was it. She is the CFO and Budget Director. Lol.

Don't forget the Pool House ! I made need a place to stay !!

That was one of my "few" thoughts on this. She nixed that at the architect's office this afternoon. She wants a baja shelf for putting chaise lounges in the water on one end. Thats where the bar would have been. The shelf will be directly adjacent to the 8' diameter raised circular spa. I actually drew it out on a sheet of paper when we first got to the architects office. He's actually using our design for the shape. Turns out he & my wife went to High School together and.... He rides a Harley (when he's not driving his Ferrari 358.) He's pretty cool guy. Very down to earth and more reasonable than we thought. The pool's only gonna' be 33' X 17'. With the deep end at 6.5'
He also just called, & we're firing the builder my wife hired yesterday. Architects builder is way better and has tremendous creds. Did Kevin James (King o Queens) pool. The total price now is $74,586 for the entire "re-model" project (We're saving $4K). All automated. We'll use our phones or tablets to run everything. 3 var-Speed pumps and heater for pool and/or spa as well as pump for 3 deck jets two lighted bubblers near spa. The spa will have two 1" thick 18"X24" lexan see thru panels which will also serve as waterfall spill overs. 9 total multi color LED lights with "additional programmed light shows"
She's very excited. New builder says it may be finished by end of May depending on permitting & weather. Permitting should run quickly since there's already a pool, but half of current pool will be demolished.

This whole thing is already moving at light speed. Way faster than we both anticipated.

Last edited:
c449e685eab7915e3f33e976639febeb.jpg

Too soon?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badd a*s! The architect pulled out a binder while we were there and started showing us tile mosaics for pool bottom. Then he said he's got a tile manufacturer in Honduras that'll make ANY mosaic we want (for a price). He said they'll make one of my Street Glide in same color with chromium coated glass tiles for the chrome parts. He told me that all they need is a photo and they'll match it (the architect rides a CVO Road Glide). My wife was having none of this saying that this is hers! She wants little "sandals" on the steps. I "zipped it"Lol. Our Patio bar stools are Harley and there's a Harley Mirror behind the Bar. Our grill cover is Harley, and she told me a couple years ago that those things are "tacky". I've learned when to "stop digging".

Last edited:
Sounds like you went all out and it's gonna be badass when done. You GOTTA post pics when finished

She's getting everything shes always wanted. She's been putting $$ away and investing it for 10 years, just for her little dream pool that she's had floating around in her head. I have 2 boats, a car, a truck, two motorcycles, two drum sets and a big 'ol detached man cave. It's her turn. I'll take lots of pics. Right now it's just a pile of pavers, dirt, an old twisted up aluminum pool fence & concrete rubble.
This NEW contractor ain't playing around. We had 24 guys & 1 lady, two Bobcats, an excavator & a front end loader here at 6:51AM. They all just left. Worked the entire day. Most of the pumps, control board etc are now in my man cave.

Last edited:
GlideLife,

Sounds you will have a very nice pool when it is done. You should charged admission to help pay for it. LOL Too bad you can't get the SG mosaic on the bottom. That would be awesome! Post pictures when you get it done.

David

Keep us in the loop with pics during the construction. Be interesting to see how it turns out following this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90