Pcv system

baggertim

Feb 9, 2019
2009 streetglide seeing oil around pushrods ,was going to look into pcv breathers,question is there actually filters somewhere in the air cleaner system to clean or replace,and are they readily available?

There are breather assemblies under the rocker covers. They each contain a one-way umbrella valve and an oil vapor coalescing filter. They may need replacing on an 11 year old bike. The umbrella valves are rubber and eventually deform from heat and oil exposure.

They vent out through the hollow breather bolts that attach the air cleaner to the heads.

I just replaced mine not too long ago. Here are the pics I have. I am sorry but I thought I had a shot of each piece. You buy it as a "kit" at the dealer. It is surprisingly reasonably priced. I forget where I read it but I could have sworn that I saw that these two assemblies (one per rocker box) should be replaced every 25 or 30 thousand miles. I can tell you that when I pulled mine out, the filters just crumbled to dust. After I put the new ones in I noticed a reduction in oil blow back as seen in my Roland Sands Clarity air cleaner cover.

Top to bottom: Rocker Box Base - Rocker Arm Plate w/ Rocker Arms Installed / Breather Assembly
01_assembly.jpg

Better Shot Of: Rocker Arm Plate w/ Rocker Arms Installed / Breather Assembly
02_sub assembly.jpg

Where the entire assembly sits in the rocker box
03_where it goes.jpg

Side by side comparison so you can see one installed and one not installed
04_there and not there.jpg

Rocker Arm Plate installed and ready to mount the breather assembly
in the bike_01_ready for install.jpg

I have a few more pics if you need them but apparently I can only post 5 at a time.

Ride safe.

Torque specs are in the service manual. If you need me to post them, let me know. Also, if you replace the breather assemblies yourself, make sure to do what I didn’t. Before you tighten bolts down, make sure there is no oil in the bolt holes. I blew out the bottom of one of the blind holes which put a hole in my cylinder head. I was able to fix it with some high temp gasket maker but I’d avoid that if possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b79b609b0d41cc93eb0d67f3290a3831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067