Please recommend me a new screen, having issues

VirtualT

Aug 6, 2016
Hi there, I am after recommendations for a new windshield for a 2015 Street Glide.

A bit of background, I am 6'3, and the bike has a Mustang Vintage Super Solo seat, which I think moves me back by 1.5-2", I also have Kromeworks 2+2 bagger bars pulled right back and usually ride with highway pegs, so my seating position is right back on the bike.

I am having bad buffeting issues with my helmet, I have fitted fork fangs and this has stopped all the wind coming from below so I know that isn't the issue although they were a huge help.

I started off with a HD 7" windsplitter, which was total rubbish, then on recommendation from a bike shop I went to a KlockWorks 8.5" which is good but I still needed to duck my head down by an inch or so to get rid of the buffeting when riding over 50mph, not really good for long rides, so I thought I would try the Long Ride Shields 11" Ultra Elite which I just received and fitted today.

Well I could tell after 5 minutes in the saddle that this was actually worse than the KW screen, it created a nice calm pocket of air in front of the rider, but still anything over 60mph was terrible as the wind still hits the top of my helmet and created a high frequency vibration that is harder to bear than the buffeting caused by the KW screen.

So now I have the pain of trying to choose another screen to make my life on this bike bearable, any ideas from the forum where to go from here? I am thinking maybe the larger Klockworks screen, although I don't really like the looks.

BTW I live in Australia, so it is usually a fair wait for postage for anything from the states so I need to choose my orders carefully.

Cheers for reading.

I am 6'3 also and have the police saddle which raises me up about 2". I'm using a 14" Freedom Shield. I look over it, not through it.

Freedom Shields are 30% thicker than the factory shield which makes them over twice as stiff as the original material. It is the only tall windshield I have used that did not vibrate in the wind. Mine is rock solid. The wind just catches the cooling vents on the top of my helmet.

Be sure to open the fairing vent.

Freedom_Street_Glide_Windshield

I have a Memphis Shades 8.5" recurve, smoke with a 2" clear band across the top. It is flatter across the width, and really stops the buffeting.

I have a Memphis Shades 8.5" recurve, smoke with a 2" clear band across the top. It is flatter across the width, and really stops the buffeting.
I am 6.2 with only a 34 inseam and use same shield but dark grey throughout. Completely stopped buffeting for me. They call it their "spoiler shield"

Freedom Shields are 30% thicker than the factory shield

Worth noting is that the 30% increase in shield thickness = a small gap between the inner and outer fairings after the shield is installed... at least that's the way it was on my bike.

I ended up with a 14" LRS re-curve as my favorite. I am 6' and look over the shield, not through it. Nice ride and it is the 1st height combination that eliminated buffeting. Tried the 12" 1st but around 60 the head shakes started. Love this one.

Worth noting is that the 30% increase in shield thickness = a small gap between the inner and outer fairings after the shield is installed... at least that's the way it was on my bike.

I just purchased the same shield in a 7" height and did notice the gap and had to realign the rubber between the inner and outer fairing. I like the fact that it is thicker than the OEM shield, but am also concerned about water getting into places where it shouldn't be with the small gap...

6' 1" ... Freedom Shield 7" stopped all buffeting for me with stock set. Planing seat up grade and will replace with appropriate freedom is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just purchased the same shield in a 7" height and did notice the gap and had to realign the rubber between the inner and outer fairing. I like the fact that it is thicker than the OEM shield, but am also concerned about water getting into places where it shouldn't be with the small gap...

Yeah- it's kind of a give and take with the thickness... There's really no getting around the fact that HD manufactured the fairing to work with a shield of stock dimension (as far as thickness goes). Thought that it was worth mentioning, I see lots of recommendations for Freedom and not many mentions of the gap that they cause... guess it's not a big deal; but if You're the type that it bothers, it can be...:D

Thanks guys, I ordered a Memphis Shades Dark Black Smoke 8.5" (after getting very little support from Clearview Shields who I was originally going to go with),..

Hoping it will do the job.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I ordered a Memphis Shades Dark Black Smoke 8.5" (after getting very little support from Clearview Shields who I was originally going to go with),..

Hoping it will do the job.

VirtualT- I don't know what the problem was with Clearview other than they closed a few days over the Christmas Holiday. You missed a great product-I ordered mine (2nd one!) 12/15 and it arrived today. I have had excellent service and support from them! Memphis Shades is a good product too!!!!!

CV.jpg

I have a 2014 SG and have a Windvest screen on it. I'm only 5'10" so it's the 7" version. Got rid of all the buffeting. I believe they make a 9" version for you tall guys. Good luck!

Just an update, I received the Memphis Shades 8.5" tonite and after first ride I think it is awesome, the majority of the wind is hitting just above my helmet instead of about 2 inches into my helmet that the klock works 8.5 was. I think its a keeper, and after 4 screens thank god!

Just an update, I received the Memphis Shades 8.5" tonite and after first ride I think it is awesome, the majority of the wind is hitting just above my helmet instead of about 2 inches into my helmet that the klock works 8.5 was. I think its a keeper, and after 4 screens thank god!
I hear ya! I have a Clearview arriving today and hope to God it kills most of the buffeting.

Guys- Don't overlook the Fork deflectors, they're ugly but do wonders for buffeting!

X2, have a couple thousand miles now with shield and no buffeting at any speedMephis Shades Shield.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith