Powder Coat Black of Chrome Front Forks?

14POSE

Apr 3, 2015
For those of you who have replaced the cowbells as I call them and the front forks I am debating on the powder coat route or chrome. I have a vivid black glide with a black fender skirt. Is one finish more durable than another or easier to touch up if a big ass rock hits and scratches it? Also have any of you done the used parts take off that was coated and being sold on e-bay. The seller has a %100 positive feedback and was very polite when I threw some questions his way but then again if I wanted your money I'd be nice too lol.

I also have a vivid black Street Glide and I opted for the blacked out look. Although it's on a pre-Rushmore batwing bike, the following photo will give you a little idea what it might look like if you went that route as well.

As for durability, my bike has been like this since 2011 (bought new in 2010) and I haven't had any issues with scratches or road debris marking it up.

Hope this helps!!

Lindsey :0)

Bionic_After.jpg

79edb8943d720363640e4959d4b3c39c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a vivid black Street Glide and I opted for the blacked out look. Although it's on a pre-Rushmore batwing bike, the following photo will give you a little idea what it might look like if you went that route as well.

As for durability, my bike has been like this since 2011 (bought new in 2010) and I haven't had any issues with scratches or road debris marking it up.

Hope this helps!!

Lindsey :0)

View attachment 9710

Lindsey, sharp looking bike. I like the front wheel and head pipe. Is that a wrap?

13482986_10206751565130264_3357208968057626516_o.jpg

Love the look of my front end. I'll probably do the rest of the chrome this winter when I swap cams, pipes, and bars. I'm also thinking about re-painting it denim white once everything else is blacked out.

I did a little of both on my 15RGS... powdercoated cowbells and went with chrome sliders.....

wheels%20done%201.jpg

I used Joe at www.willyshiny.com for my chrome sliders, wheels, rotors, rear pully and front wheel spacers. His exchange program is awesome and quality can't be any better. VERY reasonably priced as well.

wheels.jpg

forks002.jpg

Cowbells I got hooked up with from a GREAT member here who had an extra set, Thanks Chaderick!

How hard of a job to do the exchange? Any special tools involved?

How hard of a job to do the exchange? Any special tools involved?

The exchange program is great... you get yours from Joe and have 30 days to get your originals back to him

There is a DIY for fork sliders I posted in detail.... can't link to it from my phone though...

49mm seal driver or make one from 2" PVC, 19mm and 12mm LONG Allen socket and fork oil level tool

All these are listed iny DIY with links

Sent from Note4 via TapaTalk

EDIT:

Here is the link to the DIY

http://streetglide.com/showthread.php?5037-2014-2016-Touring-DIY-Chrome-Black-Fork-Slider-Replacement&highlight=slider

The manual says to adjust the fork oil level tool to 3.74"

For those of us with a non-HD tool, that means use a caliper and measure 3.74"/95mm and adjust the level ring so that amount of length is exposed?

That's what I did and several buddies have done. Any arguments here?

13533173_10206784266707783_6337662209565185698_n.jpg

Also, how the hell do I get my pics to be a larger size like yall have?

In case anyone is interested, you take roughly 20/1000ths (that's .02") off the outside of 2" PVC for about an inch. I did that and then made sure there were absolutely no burrs or rough edges.

Worked quite well and beats the hell out of spending hundreds on a fork seal driver.

I did a little of both on my 15RGS... powdercoated cowbells and went with chrome sliders.....

wheels%20done%201.jpg

I used Joe at www.willyshiny.com for my chrome sliders, wheels, rotors, rear pully and front wheel spacers. His exchange program is awesome and quality can't be any better. VERY reasonably priced as well.

wheels.jpg

forks002.jpg

Cowbells I got hooked up with from a GREAT member here who had an extra set, Thanks Chaderick!

Joe is a great guy with awesome products. That front wheel looks suspiciously like the NEW MAD 21" reinforcer wheel....
Tim

I forgot to update on this. I ended up with the black gloss cowbells and chrome forks. Now I will have to decide on what color of rim to go with on a 19". I'll take a look at willy shinny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90