Radio question

cobranick

Mar 4, 2019
Why does my radio sound better after shutting the bike off? Is it a different flash after you kill the engine? I just installed a rockford amp and install kit with a biketronics line leveler and hertz mlk165.3. Went to harley to get the ultra flash done, but the kid there says I already have that flash in my 2018 sgs. The bike is new, so is that true? He didnt sound very bright. So not sure if I trust what he said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No it was the same before the install. I ended up ordering a Rockford dsr1. Just need to install it. I dont want to have to deal with flashes. This way I have full control from my cell phone

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mine does and sounds the same as your's, asked a dealer about it yesterday and does not know why that is.

All Factory radios have a configuration file that IS your flash. They have 2 different modes ( typically )… when bike is ON and when bike is OFF. IT KNOWS!!! The built in DSP ( Digital Signal Processor ) changes output on the fly along with Speed Volume/AVC. The BEST flash for ANY aftermarket audio is 2 amp ON 8 speaker ON to get you the FLATTEST EQ curve you can achieve at ANY volume... YOU MUST LEAVE SPEED VOLUME OFF AT ALL TIMES.

Dealerships cannot help you with flash unless that have a scantool of some sorts other than Digital Technician. DT has been restricted to ONLY HD audio and requires the visibility of that amp via factory harnesses to achieve an reconfiguration of your flash in the head unit. They may be able to flash from 2 to 4 speakers, but you still won't achieve a FLAT EQ CURVE ( 8speaker ON/ 2 amp ON ) and will still be victim to the internal DSP controlling output of the deck as you increase/decrease volume... even with the AVC turned off.

That is all....

All Factory radios have a configuration file that IS your flash. They have 2 different modes ( typically )… when bike is ON and when bike is OFF. IT KNOWS!!! The built in DSP ( Digital Signal Processor ) changes output on the fly along with Speed Volume/AVC. The BEST flash for ANY aftermarket audio is 2 amp ON 8 speaker ON to get you the FLATTEST EQ curve you can achieve at ANY volume... YOU MUST LEAVE SPEED VOLUME OFF AT ALL TIMES.

Dealerships cannot help you with flash unless that have a scantool of some sorts other than Digital Technician. DT has been restricted to ONLY HD audio and requires the visibility of that amp via factory harnesses to achieve an reconfiguration of your flash in the head unit. They may be able to flash from 2 to 4 speakers, but you still won't achieve a FLAT EQ CURVE ( 8speaker ON/ 2 amp ON ) and will still be victim to the internal DSP controlling output of the deck as you increase/decrease volume... even with the AVC turned off.

That is all....

Why do you say to keep the AVC off all the time?

Why do you say to keep the AVC off all the time?
Because with the 8 speaker On/2 amp ON flash configuration, you want to keep the signal as flat as possible coming from the radio to the aftermarket amp... otherwise you can damage the amp/speakers by the higher voltage pushed out from the internal DSP when speed volume is on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Interesting, I upgraded my 2017 SGS to the Harley Boom II. 50 watts just wasn't enough, 600 watts you hear at any speed even with loud exhaust. I keep blowing one rear speaker. The last time it was replaced the service tech told me not to keep the AVC at 3. We bumped it down to 2 and so far have not blown any more. Although, it was happening about every 4-6 months and it has only been a couple. I would think I should be able to keep the AVC at any level without issue. The last speaker replaced does have a slightly different part number as he pointed out to me (added a letter at the end). Maybe they have improved them. If it happens again I'm going Rockford Fosgate!

Interesting, I upgraded my 2017 SGS to the Harley Boom II. 50 watts just wasn't enough, 600 watts you hear at any speed even with loud exhaust. I keep blowing one rear speaker. The last time it was replaced the service tech told me not to keep the AVC at 3. We bumped it down to 2 and so far have not blown any more. Although, it was happening about every 4-6 months and it has only been a couple. I would think I should be able to keep the AVC at any level without issue. The last speaker replaced does have a slightly different part number as he pointed out to me (added a letter at the end). Maybe they have improved them. If it happens again I'm going Rockford Fosgate!

This is a common problem with Boom II... I have upgraded quite a few CVO's in recent months due to this very reason, they were sick of replacing speakers. Now I have much happier customers that understand what quality audio is supposed to be... AND worry-free.

This is a common problem with Boom II... I have upgraded quite a few CVO's in recent months due to this very reason, they were sick of replacing speakers. Now I have much happier customers that understand what quality audio is supposed to be... AND worry-free.

I am very happy with the quality of the audio, it is all Harmon Kardon made. The fact that I can crank up the 600 watts to full volume with virtually no distortion speaks volumes. (no pun intended) Few system upgrades can make that claim. If keeping the AVC at 2 maximum keeps the right rear speaker from blowing I'm ok with that.

Spazz, sounds like you know what is going on, but you lost me, way too much info for my mind, and I ( we ) appreciate your help, but my radio is stock on 19' Street Glide Special and sounds clearer with engine shut down and ign on, what is your thought on the system, should I turn off the AVC, or is this the nature of the beast? Thanks.

Spazz, sounds like you know what is going on, but you lost me, way too much info for my mind, and I ( we ) appreciate your help, but my radio is stock on 19' Street Glide Special and sounds clearer with engine shut down and ign on, what is your thought on the system, should I turn off the AVC, or is this the nature of the beast? Thanks.

Now to answer your question....

AVC will work as intended for 2014-current STOCK systems without worry...

EXCEPT for BOOM II systems... Either FACTORY CVO systems or upgraded BOOM II

AVC MUST REMAIN under 3 bars or you will start blowing speakers. HD will NOT tell you this.... but I will.

Read below to understand why it sounds different ON and OFF

Lets explain a few things... just for info...

Ok... let me try and explain HD's madness the BEST I can....

The head units are the same... all 6.5GT's all 4.3's and all the 6.5GTS's... they are identical units respectively.

The difference is the configuration selection for each bike....2 speakers... 4 speakers 6 speakers or 8 speakers... AMP 1 AMP 2 or NO AMP or BOTH AMPS.... location of speakers not really an issue here.

The configuration is within a BINFILE that is flashed to the head unit via Digital Technician ( DT= Harley's laptop for hooking to the ECM ) or a Scan Tool ( Aftermarket unit that connects your PC to your bike via the ECM)

Not gonna go into too much detail on this.. it can get confusing... LOL

OK... so EACH BINFILE has its OWN 'instruction set' on how the radio should work/perform.... this is done via the internal DSP (Digital Signal Processor) Once a configuration is selected, the BINFILE is uploaded to the head unit called a FLASH.

Each BINFILE has a 'sister' to it as well... for example... BIN199_OFF is related to BIN199_ON which are similar is parameters, only one controls output when bike is OFF and one when its ON. ( this is MY understanding ) configured to sound 'best' under each condition.. running or not running.

The BINFILE has a preset selection of "EQ parameters" that, when volume is adjusted, it changes output of the head unit.... When its low volume, you have a decent overall mixed audio of decent midbass and treble.... as you increase volume, the EQ automatically adjusts itself... meaning the louder you turn it up, the bass signals are decreased and treble is increased incrementally. Higher frequencies create less distortion and can be increased to hear them better over lower tones in bass.

The AVC ( Auto Volume Control or SPEED CONTROL ) alters this EQ in the binfile on the fly....changing the output you hear.

All that being said.... when you are introducing aftermarket equipment, its important to understand that the aftermarket amps NEED the most stable ( non-fluctuating ) signal FROM THE HEAD UNIT to perform at its optimum. Since the OUTPUT of the head unit runs to the INPUT of the amp.... This signal must be configured to the FLATTEST EQ CURVE possible coming from the deck.. meaning you don't want an increase of volume to be able to change the output signal... EXACTLY WHAT AVC DOES!

Therefore... the FLATTEST EQ curve you can achieve on these units is 8 Speaker ON/ 2 AMP ON. This will insert a BIN135_OFF into the head unit and attain this goal. and AVC MUST REMAIN OFF!

Heading spinning yet? Mine is... hehehe!

So with a 2019 I can leave the AVC at 3 without worry?

yes...Stock Boom GTS ( NON CVO ) 3 is fine.

To prevent blowing speakers in CVO's and Boom II upgraded systems, AVC needs to be below 3....

Not sure why people would waste money on Boom II upgrades, but they do... then I get them to tear everything out and throw it away and give them something they REALLY appreciate..

18 CVO- this was about 50% volume with bike running... FYI

Just look at his smile! He had been through 3 blown speakers under warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77