So much information

bustedknucklewrench

Feb 3, 2022
Hi all from Sunny Cardiff in Wales!

1st time Harley owner here, am super amped to have one now in the colour that i absolutely love (performance orange)
i thought id reach out to folks with similar interests and knowledge to share.

I'm a real hands on guy when it comes to mechanical maintenance work on most pushrod engines but dont have a scooby when it comes to the wiring/electronic side of things but id give most things a go if i do my homework before i start pulling things apart.

id like to get an opinion from members here on what i should spend my money on first. bare in mind my bike is completely stock i have limited access to tools (i have the basics, wrenches, socket sets, strong arm bar, allen torx sockets, pliers that sort
of thing)

ive brought my bike to do a tour around europe next year with my brothers when they come over from New Zealand.
I do eventually want to change the exhaust for more performance, change the rear suspension, put higher compression pistons in, change the camshaft profile, put apehanger handlebars on and change the air cleaner too. My gripe is that their is so much information out there i don't know where to start or what id be better off changing first?

any info given will be taken on board, thanks for taking me in as a member of your forum, chur

p.s
does any one know where i can get a copy of the workshop manuel? cheers

sunny? Wales?! at this time of year.... come on, who ya kiddin ;)

GREETINGS from the opposite side of the island!

you didn't say what year and model you have? but we know its orange.

• Suspension front and back (Legend/Öhlins/other)
  • if you have a pre 2019: then I'd say ditch the radio and get one with carplay/android auto and bring it into the modern age, with up-to-date FREE maps
  • if you have a 2019+ then activate carplay/android auto to get the above
  • go digital on the gauges, much easier to read in all lights
  • I have my manuals in PDF so I can read then on my iThing. purchased them online cheap. I'm a digital kid, but am always on the hunt for a paper one to thumb.

it's all about your budget to be honest... don't try and do it all at once.

Your Mileage May Vary

Welcome to the forum from Detroit.

Which model did you get, the standard or special?

You might try your closest dealer to see if they have a manual for your 2020. Ordered one when I had purchased my '21.

First thing that I did was upgrade the lights to LED (turn, brake and running). Added saddlebag lights and passing lamps too. Can never have enough lights to be seen.

Have added a taller windshield (Freedom Shields 8" dark smoke touring width) and fork "fangs" to get rid of the head buffeting. It was bad enough to shake my glasses off.

I'm going to upgrade my cam in the early spring to the SE torque cam. Along with the Street Cannons and Ventilator Extreme air cleaner. Will be using the SE Street tuner to keep my warranty intact. Why in the spring? Snow all over. Need the roads clear for recording and fine tuning (as much as it will allow) the base map.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride.

Welcome, glad you could join. Sounds like it would be nice riding over there!
Post some photos! That orange is a great color!

Hi all from Sunny Cardiff in Wales!

1st time Harley owner here, am super amped to have one now in the colour that i absolutely love (performance orange)
i thought id reach out to folks with similar interests and knowledge to share.

I'm a real hands on guy when it comes to mechanical maintenance work on most pushrod engines but dont have a scooby when it comes to the wiring/electronic side of things but id give most things a go if i do my homework before i start pulling things apart.

id like to get an opinion from members here on what i should spend my money on first. bare in mind my bike is completely stock i have limited access to tools (i have the basics, wrenches, socket sets, strong arm bar, allen torx sockets, pliers that sort
of thing)

ive brought my bike to do a tour around europe next year with my brothers when they come over from New Zealand.
I do eventually want to change the exhaust for more performance, change the rear suspension, put higher compression pistons in, change the camshaft profile, put apehanger handlebars on and change the air cleaner too. My gripe is that their is so much information out there i don't know where to start or what id be better off changing first?

any info given will be taken on board, thanks for taking me in as a member of your forum, chur

p.s
does any one know where i can get a copy of the workshop manuel? cheers

cheers for that, i was thinking of a cutom set of stainless 2 into 1 turn out but will seriously piss the neighbours off no end. Ive looked at the vance and hind exhaust and they are buck$!

Welcome to the forum from Detroit.

Which model did you get, the standard or special?

You might try your closest dealer to see if they have a manual for your 2020. Ordered one when I had purchased my '21.

First thing that I did was upgrade the lights to LED (turn, brake and running). Added saddlebag lights and passing lamps too. Can never have enough lights to be seen.

Have added a taller windshield (Freedom Shields 8" dark smoke touring width) and fork "fangs" to get rid of the head buffeting. It was bad enough to shake my glasses off.

I'm going to upgrade my cam in the early spring to the SE torque cam. Along with the Street Cannons and Ventilator Extreme air cleaner. Will be using the SE Street tuner to keep my warranty intact. Why in the spring? Snow all over. Need the roads clear for recording and fine tuning (as much as it will allow) the base map.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride.

yes Detroit! Chevy Ford or Mopar?

i got the 2020 street glide special

yea ok ill get down there today and see how much they want for a copy. What are fork fangs?

keep on keeping on.

sunny? Wales?! at this time of year.... come on, who ya kiddin ;)

GREETINGS from the opposite side of the island!

you didn't say what year and model you have? but we know its orange.

• Suspension front and back (Legend/Öhlins/other)
  • if you have a pre 2019: then I'd say ditch the radio and get one with carplay/android auto and bring it into the modern age, with up-to-date FREE maps
  • if you have a 2019+ then activate carplay/android auto to get the above
  • go digital on the gauges, much easier to read in all lights
  • I have my manuals in PDF so I can read then on my iThing. purchased them online cheap. I'm a digital kid, but am always on the hunt for a paper one to thumb.

it's all about your budget to be honest... don't try and do it all at once.

Your Mileage May Vary

Hhahaha, I knew someone would get the weather joke,

I have the 2020 street glide special. how do I activate car play? is it straight foward?

No I wont do it all at once, I like to see the performance change gradually. And I cant justify to my Mrs the big spend on parts all at once.
did your digital manual come through straight away? cheepest ive seen is about 20 quid

thanks for your advice

yes Detroit! Chevy Ford or Mopar?

i got the 2020 street glide special

yea ok ill get down there today and see how much they want for a copy. What are fork fangs?

keep on keeping on.

Mopar, have to keep my younger brother working.

Fangs Screenshot_20220212-113718-437.jpg H-D calls these Fork Mounted Wind Deflectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77