Speakers in helmet?

david79thomas

Jul 16, 2014
Anyone have speakers in their helmet? I have a Shoei full face and an HD wired headset with mic. I think it's for a half helmet but people say when talking to me they can't tell I'm on my bike. And I love love listening to music while riding. But the cord looks goofy. So anyone have a wireless setup maybe using Bluetooth that works with the Boom! Harley system?

No Bluetooth sync it sucks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Not for long. I'm working on a Bluetooth link that will interface to the HD radio. It will just transmit the radio audio over a Bluetooth link to any headset. I'm in the beginning stages of development right now. Should have a prototype in a month or so.

Not for long. I'm working on a Bluetooth link that will interface to the HD radio. It will just transmit the radio audio over a Bluetooth link to any headset. I'm in the beginning stages of development right now. Should have a prototype in a month or so.
Ok sounds interesting will this be a separate device? From what I understand this is a protocol issue. As of right now I pair my phone with the headset for calls. There is a device or 2 that you can use as a hub to pair to the HD Radio and headset. One is a Sena product

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The way I understand it, the HD radio has no provision internally to send audio out over a Bluetooth link. It can only bring data in. It's a one way link. The device I'm working on would connect to the radio speaker output and send audio over a Bluetooth link. It would be a separate device and would actually work with any audio source and send audio via A2DP. Most Bluetooth headset use this profile.

There are Bluetooth transmitters available that are designed to connect to your TV or any other line level audio source, but I couldn't find anything that would work with a speaker level input. My plan is to have a separate volume control on the Bluetooth side so you can listen to the speakers, the headset or both.

I was told that the reason HD doesn't want to add a Bluetooth out link is because it would open them up to be compatible with just about any headset on the planet, which doesn't coincide with their proprietary business model. I'll bet at some point they offer a Bluetooth out link via a separate module add-on. They may even go so far as to come up with their own audio profile, which would make it compatible to only their headset.

That sounds Like What the Motor Company would do Road Warrior . . . . figure out a way to monetize a proprietary link!
Unfortunately the Boombox Technology is woefully behind most everyone else as evidence in this and their GPS offering.
I recall when I worked for SONY Broadcast, they were so busy trying to proprietize interoperability in their products that they missed many sales opportunities because of that decision. But on the plus side, the Street Glide is one great product overall!

The whole "audio output over Bluetooth" thing is no different that the way it's set up in cars. You set up a Bluetooth link to the head unit which then handles phone calls via hands free. Same thing on the bike. On the bike you need the $70 cable that allows the driver to communicate. I don't know of any factory automotive systems that output Bluetooth audio to a headset....mostly because it's not required in a car. I think HD just followed their lead. The "engineers" should realize that the operating environment between the two is not quite the same. The only thing you really need is a way to stream audio (music) from the bike to the Bluetooth headset. Headsets are already capable of connecting directly to your phone. Personally, I don't even want to answer the phone while riding so I'm content to have the BT intercom between two headsets with music streaming from the bike. What we've done in the past is just connect the phone to the headsets and the wife plays DJ in the back seat.

I had the sena M-10 http://www.sena.com/product/sm10/
set up upon delivery with a sena smh-10 http://www.sena.com/product-category/smh-series/ confuguration. You can plug the sm-10 in the boom box, you cant use the screen for forwarding and searching songs, nor can you use the boom phone functions. The songs on your phone is streamed to the smh-10 though via bluetooth. The directions of the navigation can be heard via bleutooth as well. But you'll end up charging the smh and the sm module and have to find a good spot for the device. Just root the wired speakers under your jacket... I dropped the sena setup and ride withe the 'goofy cord' but have all the features of the boom at my disposal

I really don't want to wear a headset I wear a 1/2 helmet most of the time
If knew how to do it I would try to just add a mic to the bike maybe something in the center right behind the windshield then you could take phone call just like in a car
mic.jpg

Sooo...I just installed the 7 pin DIN cable to the PA and grounded it...I ran the cable under the tank and have the boot end jammed under the seat...I now need a goofy cable and half helmet kit for this to work like a CVO...I sure could use some names for the comms kit...thanks

Last edited:

I just did this last weekend. I connected a USB powered stereo Bluetooth transmitter to the Boom system for $30 & about 30 minutes of my time. (I had the stereo Bluetooth earbuds already). Works like a champ...I get all of the audio that would normally go to the speakers/wired headsets. No talkback though, but I was not interested in that. I just wired in to the existing headphone wire between the radio & the plug where the ($70.00) cable would go for the audio feed to the transmitter. The power is through the USB port in the glove box, so it turns on & turns off with the bike. I have my phone paired with the bike, also, just so I can see when someone calls or to get my text messages read to me by the Boom Box!

T

I just did this last weekend. I connected a USB powered stereo Bluetooth transmitter to the Boom system for $30 & about 30 minutes of my time. (I had the stereo Bluetooth earbuds already). Works like a champ...I get all of the audio that would normally go to the speakers/wired headsets. No talkback though, but I was not interested in that. I just wired in to the existing headphone wire between the radio & the plug where the ($70.00) cable would go for the audio feed to the transmitter. The power is through the USB port in the glove box, so it turns on & turns off with the bike. I have my phone paired with the bike, also, just so I can see when someone calls or to get my text messages read to me by the Boom Box!

T

Would you mind sharing your source for the BT transmitter and a schematic for the headset plug? I'd rather buy one that works than build one. I don't really need another project.

Thanks

What I'd like to do is put something like this together and post part sources and set-up instructions. Seems to be a lot of people wanting to do this. My solution would involve some knowledge of electronics assembly. An off the shelf BT transmitter would be better.

Would you mind sharing your source for the BT transmitter and a schematic for the headset plug? I'd rather buy one that works than build one. I don't really need another project.

Thanks

I was mistaken...mine was $34.95 2 weeks ago when I ordered it, but when I looked today, it is $37.99! Wassup widdat? I got free shipping 'cause I ordered some other stuff with it. Anyhow, here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Brightech-trade-DoublePlay-Transmitter-Technology/dp/B00UEGDDAY/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1435776730&sr=8-33&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

I'm at work so I can't do the schematic right now....I'll work on it tonight. I just used an old 3.5mm stereo cable I had in my junk drawer & cut off the male end for connecting the transmitter to the wiring harness, & plugged it in to my USB Jack in the glove box for power. I have a 2014 Street Glide Special, so I don't have a headset plug (& I didn't want to spend $70 for a harness I didn't need). The bonus with this unit is that it is powered from the bike & will pair with 2 headsets, so my passenger can listen, too.

I'll see if I can come up with a wiring diagram later...

T

I was mistaken...mine was $34.95 2 weeks ago when I ordered it, but when I looked today, it is $37.99! Wassup widdat? I got free shipping 'cause I ordered some other stuff with it. Anyhow, here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Brightech-trade-DoublePlay-Transmitter-Technology/dp/B00UEGDDAY/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1435776730&sr=8-33&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

I'm at work so I can't do the schematic right now....I'll work on it tonight. I just used an old 3.5mm stereo cable I had in my junk drawer & cut off the male end for connecting the transmitter to the wiring harness, & plugged it in to my USB Jack in the glove box for power. I have a 2014 Street Glide Special, so I don't have a headset plug (& I didn't want to spend $70 for a harness I didn't need). The bonus with this unit is that it is powered from the bike & will pair with 2 headsets, so my passenger can listen, too.

I'll see if I can come up with a wiring diagram later...

T

Cool. I'll put it all together in a pfd and post it here. I think that would satisfy the need of most people looking for Bluetooth music to a headset.

I purchased a Bilt brand Techno Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet from cyclegear for about $159.99. I was a bit hesitant at first but the salesman said he would refund my money if I didn't like it. To be honest, it's the best $160 I've spent in a long time. The speakers are awesome. I can't run them at 100%. I usually keep it paired directly with my iPhone. I can answer and make calls while riding and most people never know I'm riding. I do have to watch that I don't raise my voice while riding because the mic is sensitive enough. It doesn't need me screaming at it. Overall I'm very happy with it.

I've been looking at the Bell Mag 9 with the Sena Bluetooth insert
Mag9.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067