Spun my 2nd rear axle....sucks!

Spazz

Administrator
Feb 22, 2014
Went in for tires yesterday.... cam on right side axle twisted for the 2nd time chewing up the axle! Can't torque the axle down without the wheel kicking sideways.... ok... replace it under warranty.... sure.... NONE IN STOCK!!

SO... leaving on Friday morning for a 3 day ride, I decide to upgrade...

Zipper chromoly rear axle... $399... OUCH!

But she's not gonna move anymore...lol
4bde772cbd8f0f10d2ce5afefa938c5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zippers makes great stuff, they are my go to shop for tech stuff. Nice having them local. Great staff.

What is causing that defect and do you recommend that sort of upgrade before having problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is causing that defect and do you recommend that sort of upgrade before having problems?

If I can get the old parts back today... I will take a video and show you.

A lot has to do with my riding style, coupled with a 120 motor... lol

Wow can't believe it happened again. I know your so gentle while your riding. :cool::rolleyes:

Wow can't believe it happened again. I know your so gentle while your riding. :cool::rolleyes:
You know me all too well, Tom... Lol!

I got the parts back... I'll take a video later when I get home

Got some pics of the Zippers axle installed
6e7c501fa2bde9c4f8c8a515a39043fd.jpg
633887858fa091ac634fd86b68e0b9d8.jpg

Looks nice Spazz. How much adjustability do you have (1" or more)? I was wondering if the Zippers axle would be an option for those wanting to drop down to a 30T pulley, as opposed to having to send the swingarm out to be modified? Also, is there a provision incorporated into the new adjuster blocks that keeps them from rotating up or down? Thanks

I'll have to look closely at it when I have a chance.. HD did the work during a tire change....

How much more does the axle protrude? The stock axle nut is close to my muffler with 13" long (standard touring length) rear shocks.

How much more does the axle protrude? The stock axle nut is close to my muffler with 13" long (standard touring length) rear shocks.
I will have to get a pic for you later tonight...

Ok.. just got home and got clearance pics for you with the axle in relation to my D&D Boss Boarzilla with ghost pipe...

Plenty of room, Hulkss
723e3f4a3eadaf108a7d3f92964dcb24.jpg
6e09b6a3b6b62167035df2a586e3a13c.jpg

So... as promised... here is a video.

( IF you find this issue within the first two years of factory warranty, they will replace it... after that... ESP or CASH )

When the cam and/or axle are worn and the cam does NOT fit tightly on the flat... and with proper torque applied to the axle nut, the cam rotates out of position and alignment causing the wheel to kick sideways.

Spazz, now that you have run the Zipper's axle kit for sometime, are you still happy with it? How has it held up in terms of corrosion? Do you see where there is room for improvement on the kit itself? The clearances looked tight near the lower which mounts. Has there been any contact between the adjuster blocks and lower shock mounts? Thanks

Spazz, now that you have run the Zipper's axle kit for sometime, are you still happy with it? How has it held up in terms of corrosion? Do you see where there is room for improvement on the kit itself? The clearances looked tight near the lower which mounts. Has there been any contact between the adjuster blocks and lower shock mounts? Thanks
Everything is perfect... clearances are fine and nothing has moved. No corrosion issues at all. I'm very happy with it. I can't see any room for improvement in any aspect.

Thanks Spazz. That's good to know. The belt on my brother's 2017 CVO SG is extremely loose and he only has 3300 miles on the bike. The dealer did his 1K service and if they adjusted his belt at that time, I have to assume he has an issue going on with his axle. I told him about your setup and suggested that he look into it, especially sonce he is having a Stsge IV Kit installed as we speak. Heck, I might even consider buying one for mine too.

Looks like old school is back...that's how I always adjusted my belt/chain...with an adjustment screw. I never liked the cam adjuster Harley installed on their bikes. It just looked too "rickety". The last time I had my rear tire replaced, my mechanic used a mechanical helper...a long steal bar to set the belt tension and wheel alignment and then tightened down the axle nuts. He told me he's seen the same thing happen before when using the cams action to adjust the rear wheel, the cam will wear out. My '07 Heritage Classic had axle adjustment screws instead of the cams. It was easy to set the belt tension and wheel alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith