Target Tune worth it?

petejoe43

Mar 11, 2017
I'm headed to a PV tuner. Tuner is on the way, but I'm curios about TT and is it worth it? Do the wide o2's take the place of the narrow band in the exhaust? Let's say you pay for a dyno run and are happy with the result. Would it still benefit you to tweak a good tune with Target Tune? I guess I'm trying to find out if there's value if you have a good Tune to start with? Thanks....

http://dynojet.com/powervision/powervision-product-info.aspx#pvAccessories

From the link:

Dynojet’s new Target Tune is an exciting new product that can add a new dimension to your Harley-Davidson® ECM. When paired with a Target Tune specific calibration flashed by a Power Vision, your ECM will run closed loop fuel control based on wideband O2 sensors. The Power Vision delivered calibration changes the coding in the ECM to “understand” the wideband signal (from Target Tune) and allows the ECM to accurately achieve the target AFR.

So... it dials in your target AFR much better AND in REAL TIME.

Yes.. there are benefits

Only in wide open throttle though, I thought.
Normal cruising is still real time with the PV and narrow band O2s.

With Target Tune, the narrow band sensors are disconnected and not used.

Correct. What I'm saying is the TT and wide band O2 sensors really only shine in open loop situations/ wot
The PV without TT and still using OEM O2s is still real time tuning. I guess you need to decide what your riding style is. Jacking around a lot or cruising.
I'm still not convinced the TT is worth the money for my riding style. My bike runs great and still get decent fuel economy and tons of power.

Last edited:
Target Tune will enable you to street tune or dyno tune your bike with the benefit of wide band sensors to get the air/fuel ratio measured accurately at all throttle settings. The stock narrow band sensors only work well when near a 14.6 air/fuel ratio at cruise conditions. Wide open throttle should be closer to 12.5 AFR.

It is true that your bike will run just fine (some say better) with narrow band sensors once the VE tables are tuned properly. Target Tune helps with tuning to an AFR target that is richer than narrow band sensors like.

I understand the TT kit comes with 18mm O2 sensors. If so, can you modify the 12mm ports near the cat or do users replace the header with one that has 18mm ports near the exhaust ports?

I understand the TT kit comes with 18mm O2 sensors. If so, can you modify the 12mm ports near the cat or do users replace the header with one that has 18mm ports near the exhaust ports?

The WB O2 sensors must be close to the exhaust ports to be at the proper temperature. The kit comes with bungs to weld into a header if needed.

Target Tune will enable you to street tune or dyno tune your bike with the benefit of wide band sensors to get the air/fuel ratio measured accurately at all throttle settings. The stock narrow band sensors only work well when near a 14.6 air/fuel ratio at cruise conditions. Wide open throttle should be closer to 12.5 AFR.

Hulkss, I've followed your responses on performance and am quite impressed with your comments. Some point down the road, I'm planning on making some additional mods - increasing compression on my 103" HO SS. Now I'm only at Stage 1 (plus decating) and running a Fuel Moto map. Would like to touch base with you in the near future, please advise if you are ok with this request? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hulkss, I've followed your responses on performance and am quite impressed with your comments. Some point down the road, I'm planning on making some additional mods - increasing compression on my 103" HO SS. Now I'm only at Stage 1 (plus decating) and running a Fuel Moto map. Would like to touch base with you in the near future, please advise if you are ok with this request? Thanks

"Now I'm only at Stage 1 (plus decating) "
I am considering decating my 2010 head pipe. Are you happy with how it runs since you decated yours?
What differences did you notice?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Send a PM any time. I usually look at the forum every day.

I had a PV tune after head work and cam change, some 18 months later I saw the TT and closed loop 'active' tuning advertised and was tempted, but baulked at the price. To settle the issue, I took my bike to a local Dynojet supplier for a dyno run to check the state of tune and see whether it was worth it. The results showed no significant benefit in laying out the extra cash.
If you're starting from scratch with a new bike etc it's a different scenario - you pays your money and makes your choice

I switched to the H-D wide band tuning module. Works great. It gives a dyno operator more tuning range than the street tuner alone. It will work for any build somewhat similar to H-D stages.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77