The old oil in the air cleaner problem

muskie43

Apr 21, 2018
I don't know about other riders but I am tired of hearing it s what it is from dealers on the oil in my air cleaner....looking to find some sort of solution that will work. So far I have looked at dipsticks, air breather bypasses and now oil pump/cam chest upgrades. Would love to hear what other riders if they have this problem and what they have done to fix it.

Mike
2018 Street Glide Industrial Gray matte finish
Bassani pipes and cans
King Tour Pak
K&N High Flow Air Filter
Vance and Hines FP3

I don't know about other riders but I am tired of hearing it s what it is from dealers on the oil in my air cleaner....looking to find some sort of solution that will work. So far I have looked at dipsticks, air breather bypasses and now oil pump/cam chest upgrades. Would love to hear what other riders if they have this problem and what they have done to fix it.

Mike
2018 Street Glide Industrial Gray matte finish
Bassani pipes and cans
King Tour Pak
K&N High Flow Air Filter
Vance and Hines FP3

I never had that issue. I had a 2015 and never had that problem. Not sure what it is.

I’ve got a 2015 and the blow by was horrible. I engine brake which increases blow by. I think it absolutely sucks that Harley reroutes blow by oil through the induction module (throttle body). The carbon build up on my piston heads was really bad. It was a big contributor to my having to do a top end overhaul at 50k. During reassembly I added a catch can. I’ve currently got it routed up from the breather holes in the cylinder head to between the top of the rocker boxes and the underside of the frame’s backbone and then back to the right side panel. I zip tied my catch can to the bracket that holds the ABS module. I’m not thrilled with the way the tubing is routed and I have a bit of an oil drip from the fittings. The plus side is that I don’t get oil in my air cleaner or back into the combustion chamber.

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/all-twin-cam-engines-c76-220.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just thought of this too. What color is the oil you are seeing? It could be that you are saturating the K&N with its oil and that is what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I put a Ness CAI on it I had that problem.
Quite irritating!
I switched to a Screamin' Eagle CAI and haven't had it since.
Going on 8,000 miles now!

I had this problem on 3 different Harleys. After some researching and personal testing I tried what other riders recommended of taking a few ounces of oil out.

I run my bike at about 3/4 full on the dipstick when hot. This helped tremendously and was free along with zero maintenance required.

Since I change my own fluids I just a little less oil each time.

I have a 14 street glide with 140k plus miles and have the same problem. Will try your option of running a little less oil. Thanks

4Qts ONLY at Oil + filter change. Never have the problem. :cool:

I eliminated the breather issue by installing the screaming eagle hi flow intake because it has an aluminum backing plate I got two new head to backing plate bolts I drilled them. Then I drilled the backing plate and installed unions in them on both the front and rear cylinder portion of the backing plate. I ran hoses to a tee and then ran a single hose to the catch can. I service motor oil to the full level. Harley stating that you should run oil level a quart low is crazy as less oil would cause bike to run hotter. I drain catch can every 5,000 miles and remove about two table spoons of oil I know this is an older thread but hopefully it can help someone in the furrier.

Attachments

• photo13521.jpg
    photo13521.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • photo13522.jpg
    photo13522.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
For my 2019 FLHXS I did the following:

During my Stage II Torque Cam upgrade I updated to the 8 lobe SE Oil pump.
Installed an A1 Cycles vented dipstick
Installed an external breather onto my Trask Air Assault AC

I have had no oil blow back whatsoever. Doing all three of these measures will eliminate any fear of The old oil in the air cleaner problem!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
properMisfit