Wow, Heated handgrip install not fun.

msquad

Aug 31, 2014
Got some heated grips today from HD. Took waaaay too long to install.

First off they are crazy thinking I can get the wires for the left handgrip through the handlebars and out some hole in the middle. The right handgrip was pretty easy since it connects right there to the throttle position sensor. I ending up making a hole in the handlebars so the wires come out and go into the fairing (totally not noticeable, had a nice rubber grommet to make it look neat). THEN the instructions on where to plug in the wires are so bad. Too me a while to find the 2 connectors to connect these things to. Also, the salesman told me I needed an extra harness and I think I saw that on HD's website too. Totally not needed for '14 and above. The connectors are already under the fairing ready to go. The right one is VERY short - could hardly get my hand in there to connect it up. But they are on and work. I will ride as long as it stays dry.

you drilled an extra hole? where?

If you follow the left bar down right before it goes hidden into the fairing. I drilled an ovalish hole so the wires could come out there and go right into the fairing. Totally unnoticeable. I'm very pleased with the final result. It seems like I would have had to take everything out of the fairing to get to the hole in the middle of the bars. I could hardly even see the hole and to try and get those wires to go all the way there would have been impossible without access.

If you follow the left bar down right before it goes hidden into the fairing. I drilled an ovalish hole so the wires could come out there and go right into the fairing. Totally unnoticeable. I'm very pleased with the final result. It seems like I would have had to take everything out of the fairing to get to the hole in the middle of the bars. I could hardly even see the hole and to try and get those wires to go all the way there would have been impossible without access.
Being from Scotland I can understand how important heated grips can be if you want to ride outside the summer. Lucky if that's a straight week here.

Would be interested to hear how you get on with these. How do you control them?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Are you going to ride with gloves or without?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was fighting with the grips last night as well. I did manage to get all my wiring done internally even with the stock size bars although I did change them out to the Harley Reduced reach bars last year.

I did need to open up the fairing and re position it during the work. Getting the wiring (including the standard control wiring through the wires was VERY tight but I made it work with the help of a friend (and a little silicone spray, in any case I ended up with a very clean install and no external wires.......all it takes is a little patience and the extensions for the factory wiring as they are just a little too short to reach the connectors when run internally.

I did use the accessory harness on my 14 as recommended by Harley and ran the wiring through the wiring loom back the connector....the by product is an accessory connector for future stuff under the seat. While I did find power in the fairing that I could have used I decided to use the factory suggested install as I wanted to make sure the power draw was not putting an extra burden on the wiring/circuit in the fairing that was originally designed for position lights (European models) and a draw from the Cigarette lighter as the system uses one hot wire that is accessory switched and gets the power for the heating element directly from a non-switched hot wire once activated.

If anyone needs any advice just let me know.....all it takes is time and patience.:cool:

OK- the HD instructions for Heated Handgrips PN 56100034 are minimal, at best. Couple of things I would like to know:
* I'm assuming you took the handlebars off? When you did, is there already a hole in them- right where they sit on the lower clamp?
* You state that, ' Getting the wiring (including the standard control wiring through the wires was VERY tight, do you mean snaking the wiring through the handlebars?
* You mention factory wire extensions. Was this a separate purchase? If so, do you have the PN? My grips came with a wiring harness, PN 69200232.
* Not sure I'm following the reference to an accessories switch beneath your seat as a by- product of hooking up the grips. All the docs I have show that everything will hook up
in the fairing into pre-wired connectors.

Any assistance would be appreciated. My dealer wants close to $300 for the install.

See comments in Bold below

OK- the HD instructions for Heated Handgrips PN 56100034 are minimal, at best. Couple of things I would like to know:
* I'm assuming you took the handlebars off? When you did, is there already a hole in them- right where they sit on the lower clamp? -I did take the clamp off and rotated the handlebars down but I was able to leave them in the saddle.......and yes there is an elongated hole in the bottom of the bars where the throttle by wire wiring from the right side exit.
* You state that, ' Getting the wiring (including the standard control wiring through the wires was VERY tight, do you mean snaking the wiring through the handlebars. Yes I did snake the wiring through including the turn signal wiring that was shipped from the factory with the wiring outside of the handlebars (leaving the commector attached). I needed to run the wiring for the grips through the bars anyhow so I figured I'd also run the turn signal stuff through there as well. I used a snake to pull them through the bars.
* You mention factory wire extensions. Was this a separate purchase? If so, do you have the PN? My grips came with a wiring harness, PN 69200232. What I should have said was that I left the factory connectors on the wiring when I pulled them through but that routing makes them just a little too short to reach the plugs inside the fairing so I needed to buy the extensions that are available from 3rd party....I used the 8" extensions bought on eBay for ~$10 and those were plug and play).......If I was doing it again I would go for the 12" extensions as these are a little tight but do work.
* Not sure I'm following the reference to an accessories switch beneath your seat as a by- product of hooking up the grips. All the docs I have show that everything will hook up
in the fairing into pre-wired connectors. There is NOT a factory prewiring connector in the fairing but there is a connector or 2 there that can be used to power the handgrips. (There is a connector there that you to tie into that is already in the TBW harness to the right hand grip and this requires you to wire a connector onto the wiring harness used for the crossover) but there is not a POWER connector there specifically designed for the heated grips and are fuses accordingly. The optional harness they call out actually plugs into an unused connector at the fuse box and has 3 wires (Red, Orange/white and Black) in addition to an accessory plug (that had been standard on pre-Rushmore bikes) which now is available under the seat. The power harness on the grips (not to be confused with the crossover wiring) that I ran through the bars is routed through the wiring loom which is accessed by removing the gas tank. The reason Harley recommends this accessory harness is because the units are powered directly by the red wire which is switched on the accessory wire and of course the black wire is ground...............I'm sure I could have easily found Power (Cig Lighter?) and Accessory (European Position lights unused??) as well as ground (almost anywhere) to complete the circuit but I tried to do the install the way it was designed as these factory grips have a habit of failing and I wanted to make sure I was covered under warranty........which in hindsight was a good decision as the original grips (Left hand control unit) failed and has been replaced which was what I was doing this last time around actually.

Hope this helps??

Any assistance would be appreciated. My dealer wants close to $300 for the install.

Grip.jpgGrip2.jpgAwesome reply! So, I completed the install of the heated handgrips in about 2-1/2 hours yesterday. I give it a 2.5 beer job (out of 5). These were installed on a 2015 SGS, with stock bars. You do have to remove a lot of stuff to get this job done. The handgrips, HD PN 56100034/$162 at Surdyke.com come packaged with right & left grip, end plug for the throttle side grip, a jumper harness cable, and install instructions. Prior to install, I checked out a lot of different sources on the web and reviewed my service manual often, and hi-lighted the applicable portions. You will need the manual to assist in removal/assembly of all of the peripheral pieces, i.e.: fairing, and proper torques specs. Some of what I learned:
• You will need to digest the included instructions down to your bike model.
• Prior to dis- assembly, I marked all of the existing handlebar and control positions. I wanted to make sure that when I put everything back together it was adjusted as it was before.
  • • The jumper harness cable included in the package was not used with my bike application. In the instructions, this cable is referred to for 2008- 3009 models.

• One of the more challenging things was to locate the Heated Handgrip Power Inter Connector (Behind front fairing, lower right- if facing the bike, red
string tied around it in photo), and the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) harness (Behind inner fairing, right side, comes from hole in bottom of handlebar-
not visible until fairing is lifted. Both of these were already attached within the fairing of my bike- I did not have to wire anything in, plugs were there.
I cannot speak to the other models or your particular bike, or any other HD grip types. See photos below for locations on the bike.

• You do not need to remove the handlebar switch housings completely from the bike- loosen them enough to remove the existing hand grips. I had
removed the clutch and brake reservoir assemblies, as per instructions, but after doing this, I found it may not be necessary. Just loosen them and if you
find they are cumbersome, then remove them. It’s no big deal. Either way, I did not have to cut any existing zip-ties.

• I did have some small amount of difficulty re-installing the left handlebar switch housing. I got it on and upon checking it, found that the odometer reset
button was not operating (wouldn’t push down and spring to return position). I CAREFULLY re-assembled and checked to make sure it was working- be
careful, a lot of little plastic pieces in there.

• Installing the throttle side grip was fairly easy however, you do have to play around with getting the two- pronged electric pin situated just right to plug
into the end of the TPS. Just be careful as those 2 little metal posts on the grip look fairly fragile. I used a little bit of di-electric grease on all connectors
before plugging them in.

• Once installed and BEFORE putting everything back together, CHECK YOUR WORK! Check handgrip heating operation, AND check to make sure that the
grips are wired properly and operate only when the bike is turned on. Zip-tie any wiring if necessary- though I didn't need to.

• I sort of wish I would have gone ahead and ran the existing handlebar switch control wires through the bars for a cleaner look, but my reviews showed
that you have to remove the harness plug (remove all of the wire ends from the plug receptacle, snake wires, replace all pins/ends), to get the wiring
through the bars and I didn’t want to go to that level. However, it looks like paul65k was able to do this without removing the wires. This is good
news because if I want to change the bars out in the future (12” black Chubbies), I know it’s something I can handle. Dealer wanted 2.5 hours labor @
$100/hour to do this job. Though there is something to be said for that- warranty. If these grips fail, it's me that has to rip the bike apart to replace. From
what I observed, I think I can remove the lower forks to do a front end mod without removing the handle bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ddogg14