107 upgrade

Tristar

Nov 15, 2017
Hi, currently doing a Head Quarters 107 upgrade to my 2014 Special. Question I have what are thoughts on checking head squish/quench? Is it really advisable and if yes do you install a new set of head gaskets for checking squish. Reason asking is if yes then I guess I would need two sets of head gaskets? One for squish and one for final install?

Thanks

This is just my opinion; if you’re installing a big bore “ kit” from a reputable company, as opposed to buying each individual component yourself, and you’re not trying to build a race motor that extracts every last fraction of power from the rebuild, then I don’t believe that you need to check squish. Unless you’re intending to modify the squish band angle or clearance on purpose to cause some small amount of extra turbulance, then I don’t think you need to bother with checking it.
I just finished a 110 build with the S&S cylinder/piston kit and head work done by Dan Vance. I didn’t perform a squish check during assembly. Again, this is just my opinion. A tried and true big bore kit, with known cam lift, should not have concerns about clearance. If you’re installing a high lift cam and/or milled your heads to bump up compression then of course you’ll want to make sure that you have proper valve/piston clearance.

Last edited:
Won't start

Won't start

Hope someone can help, completed the 107 install but having issues starting bike. Engine just turns over with minimal smoke coming out of front cylinder exhaust. Checked compression and front seems fine but back cylinder seems low. Was pretty confident I set up cams properly and push rods adjusted correctly. Any ideas what could be issue? Could there possibly be issue with Power Vision tuner that I received and loaded?

Hope someone can help, completed the 107 install but having issues starting bike. Engine just turns over with minimal smoke coming out of front cylinder exhaust. Checked compression and front seems fine but back cylinder seems low. Was pretty confident I set up cams properly and push rods adjusted correctly. Any ideas what could be issue? Could there possibly be issue with Power Vision tuner that I received and loaded?

Try switching your spark plug wires around at the coils. It sounds like you might have gotten them crossed. Keep us posted.

Finally running, I think all it was is that I had the engine flooded on my initial turn over to build oil pressure. The Head Quarters 107 feels strong. Now to break it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90