12" bars on 2017 Street Glide

sarge-glide

Nov 3, 2016
Anyone put the 12" bars on their '17 Street Glide yet?

I'm trying to decide to do it myself or pay someone. I've seem some videos and advice on the 2015, but don't know if there is any difference.

I'm gonna go with LA Choppers or Yaffe.

I know i'll need the wiring extensions. What about the clutch/brake cables?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

I don't think these have changed but you should be able to reroute the lines for the room you need. Several threads on here for bar installs

I believe i read somewhere you no longer need to de-pin some wires on the 2016 or later when you change the handlebars.

Can anyone clarify that?

I installed the KST 14" Mayhem Bagger Bars and I was able to pull my wires through but I did have to change the cables.

I did the 12" Yaffe's and the only thing I had to extend was using the 8" Namz. I did my friends 15 SG and we cut ties under the fairing and rerouted cables so didn't need Namz. However brake and clutch are maxed out after install so anything higher would require cable upgrade. Be advised there is a slight difference in the Yaffe and LA choppers. As previously mentioned I went Yaffe buddy went LA choppers. Mine are about 1" higher but he's about 2" wider. Both being the 12" bars. The width between the actual bars are identical the difference being in the grips or horizontal if you will. From the peak to the end of the hand grip is what is different.

I just put a set of yaffe 12" bars on my sg and had to lengthen my wires but not my brake or clutch hoses, looking forward to getting to ride this weekend for our zero run

Finally did my 12" LA Chopper Twin Peaks install on my 2017 Street Glide. Bring your patience and man-up if you gonna do it yourself. Those wires are a bitch. The wiring alone took 2.5 hours, but there ain't nothing easy about it. I used a little grease, but what a mess. Get some extra gloves. You'll certainly get worried while pulling cables. I used a nut on a string to get the pull going. The throttle connector is quite small compared to the 2015 and older models. I used 8" NAMZ extensions and Arlen Ness riser bushings. Big thanks to "Ride It Wrench It" dude. His info was extremely valuable. Attached is my completed bars. I hope my info helps anyone looking to do it.20170412_174539.jpg 20170412_133654.jpg

Sarge-glide, I'll be installing the same set up on my 14 SGS next weekend. Do you know the part # for the Arlen Ness riser bushings, I've seen reviews for them and some day they don't fit well.
Does anyone have a suggestion on comfortable replacement grips? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I got mine from Revzilla. Arlen Ness Polyurethane Riser Bushing Kit For Harley Touring 1984-2017 mfr part # 08-029 .

Just remember your throttle cable connector is the bigger one, so you'll need to de-pin it if you do it. The youtube video should help you.

Thank you! Yeah, I've watched a couple of videos already so I think I'm ready to tackle it.

The 8" NAMZ extensions worked, but 12" would be better. Gives you more room to move around in the batwing. If you already ordered it, don't worry about it.

I watched a video on "wrench it ride it" and they showed a way to do it without any wire extensions. They removed them from a harness in the fairing and cut a lot of tie wraps. I'm going to stick to the 8" NAMZ I already ordered and keep my fingers crossed. I just ordered the poly bushings, chrome switch covers and Kuryakyn ISO grips today. Thanks for the input, i appreciate it. I'll post a picture of it completed in "what did you do today..." when i get it done next weekend.

So the day to install the bars came and no wiring extension, there was a problem with the shipper. I wound up having to cut all the wire ties and pull the wires back towards the bars. The entire install took about 6hrs, I think it would be about 3.5 if I had to do it again. They look and feel great, very happy with the results.
da7086bee75a5bd895c3c149766e8f14.jpg
6b5450f43fe7e40f1a062f4ef03e31b0.jpg

CMS - looks like a professional install. The same video you mentioned gave me confidence to tackle my 12" Yaffe monkey bars. You obviously were more efficient with your overall time. Thanks for the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Iron Horse, I should have mentioned that I watched that video 3 times before I started the install. So much for being efficient with my time lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469