2012 street glide low idle at times?

msgdrum

Feb 19, 2016
New to this site so take it easy on me!
I am having trouble with my idle. 103" stock motor, with v&h naked intake, and true dual v&h pipes with hi-out put slip ons.
Ok so I start my bike up and idles around 1500, normal. I roll down the street to work and idle lowers as it warms up to around 1,000-950. But once and a while it will start to idle around 850-950 dipping up and down. From that it has stalled and died 2 times at a stop light. I do not have a intake leak, I have already looked and pulled it apart. Normal 20-50w synth amsoil oil. 91 gas as always. When im rideing it runs perfect until I come to a stop, wait for 5-10 and it dips hard. What in the world is causeinv it to do that? Is there a idle sensor? I replaced both o2 sensors already too. I have pulled the MAP sensor and it was sorta black, do I need to replace that? Throttle position is good, no tuner either. Should I try a tuner like the LCD V&H? Any ideas would be very helpful! Thank you!!

Reactions: BillyBob
Clean the map sensor with map sensor cleaner.

You should have that bike tuned. I'd bet it runs really lean.

Sent from the mobile leash

I'm with BB here I would clean that sensor and look at getting it tuned or a tuner. Is there any residue build up in your tail pipes and what color is it??

I'm with BB here I would clean that sensor and look at getting it tuned or a tuner. Is there any residue build up in your tail pipes and what color is it??

Yep, black at the tips of exshuast. I took the map sensor out and it was slightly black. It was so damn tiny I didnt want to touch it. I did clean it but its the same, plus it take maybe 5 sec. at the light before it starts acting like its stalling. So a tunner would help keep the idle up you think?

Was just thinking out loud again if your residue was light brown, gray or white-ish colored I would say you were running really lean. Did you have this thing dyno'ed when you installed your parts?? When adding what you have for full exhaust and A/C a tuner of some kind is usually required to get the proper fuel to air mixture needed.

Just my 2 cents but I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in soon.

Yep, black at the tips of exshuast. I took the map sensor out and it was slightly black. It was so damn tiny I didnt want to touch it. I did clean it but its the same, plus it take maybe 5 sec. at the light before it starts acting like its stalling. So a tunner would help keep the idle up you think?

Don't touch it they are extremely fragile. Just spray the cleaner on it and it will clean up repeat if it still looks dirty.

Do you run a oiled type air cleaner? If so did you clean and oil the filter recently?

Don't touch it they are extremely fragile. Just spray the cleaner on it and it will clean up repeat if it still looks dirty.

Do you run a oiled type air cleaner? If so did you clean and oil the filter recently?

Actually yes! I did clean it with the K&N oiler for the filter! Yeah that MAP sensor is soooo thin! I broke down and am taking it to the shop. I just want a diagnosis on what the problem is. If its something I can fix or clean, ill do it myself! Just need the help to figure out the problem. I'll let everyone know when I know!

Actually yes! I did clean it with the K&N oiler for the filter! Yeah that MAP sensor is soooo thin! I broke down and am taking it to the shop. I just want a diagnosis on what the problem is. If its something I can fix or clean, ill do it myself! Just need the help to figure out the problem. I'll let everyone know when I know!

Could be too much oil on the filter restricting the air flow through the filter

Unless I missed it, have you tuned your bike after pipes and intake?

Well that sucks. Harley says they cant find the problem. They did say, yeah a tuner would help... blah blah.... 1,000$ ...blah blah. Well I am still leaning towards its a problem with MAP sensor. I am going to get MAP sensor cleaner at Autozone. Try to clean it as best as I can and see how it does then.

Hey there Msgdrum,
I know I'm chiming in here late...
Curious as to what the history of your SG is.
Did you buy it new? Who put the Stage one on?
How many miles?
Has ECM ever been RE-mapped?
Stock mapped 103 will not run correctly with Stage 1 you describe. I'm presuming U know that.
Sometimes Harley dealer "blah blah" needs to be deciphered further.
Any late model EFI equipped vehicle that has to meet stringent EPA regs. doesn't like to be messed with unless you can fool it's "brain" into thinking... "everything's gonna' be OK" after I hook up this here little "gizmo" & do a little digital brain surgery".

There's a whole industry built around making EFI work the way it should work. This ain't CALIFORNIA.
Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Well that sucks. Harley says they cant find the problem. They did say, yeah a tuner would help... blah blah.... 1,000$ ...blah blah. Well I am still leaning towards its a problem with MAP sensor. I am going to get MAP sensor cleaner at Autozone. Try to clean it as best as I can and see how it does then.

Yeah man. If you've done air cleaner and exhaust you need to tune your bike. I highly recommend the Vance & Hines FuelPak3.

Reactions: binarym
Yeah man. If you've done air cleaner and exhaust you need to tune your bike. I highly recommend the Vance & Hines FuelPak3.

Yeah I agree I do need a tuner. But to Dyno and get tuner blah blahs he was talking about. I was figureing I might have overlooked a simple fix maybe a intake seal or port or sensor. I just purchased a Dynojet Power vision tuner. Its coming monday so we will see how this does if it cures my problems!

Code:
Yeah man you don't need dyno runs, just a plug n play tuner. Honestly it sounds like the fp3 would be more than enough for what you need.

So I got the Dynojet Power Visions tuner. I installed and when it runs, it runs like a Banchy! Way smoother and way more HP! Buttttt it still hasent solved my original problem. At idle and optimal temp, it still wants to die! I did find out the ecm is putting in to much fuel and flooding it. Not enough fuel will make it pop and hic-up.
My next thing is just replace the MAP and heater sensors. Even though harley says they are fine. So I bought both sensors today and had enough time to remove them both and compared them to the new ones. WOW! Wish I could put a photo on here of them! Its horrible looking! I'll install them on thursday night and see how it does!!! I'lllet everyone know what happens!

Harley uses a TMAP sensor. It measures Temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure.

Awesome on the tuner. Definitely keep us posted on the sensor replacements.

So brand new o2 sensors, new TMAP sensor, new heater sensor, Brand new power visions tuner, and yet still the same problem. When my bike gets to 277 degrees at idle RPM's drags down to 950 and then does drops in and out, like it is dieing. Not dieing choking or smoking from not enough fuel but to much fuel and flooding. Could it be timeing is off? Stator? Please help!!! Its not even summer yet and and im affraid it will keep getting worse. Though it hasen't, just still the same! when its running its great! New power visions tuner did wonders on it but didnt solve the low over flooding idle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77